'Faith is a process': Emeritus general authority and wife pen book to help people struggling with ambiguity and doubt

• Igualmente , 00
    March 11, 2019 10:36 a.m.

It could all end tomorrow where would I be
    Does life go on or will it be the end of me
    Seems a bit unfair to think that all I've learned and done
    Belongs to no one.

Why should I cherish living if there's no so called plan
    Why, I would have no future if it were left to man
    I can't believe that we just happened and don't know what for
    There must be more.

Why should I trust in a love that I can't have forever
    Does it seem right to live a game of take away
    Should I want for children if there isn't anymore for them to live for.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, then maybe I'm not
    One thing that I like to know is what I got
    I don't want a miracle or see you in the air
    But are you up there
    Are you everywhere
    Do you really care
    Are you up there,
    Are you up there,
    Are you up there.

• International 2 ,
    March 7, 2019 2:36 p.m.

Around 1970 I was a foreign student at BYU. Elder Hafen was counselor to my Stake President. At the time I had a spiritual problem I had not been able to solve. I went to his office where Elder Hafen took all the time necessary to solve my problem. When I left his office my problem was solved. He had also given me a blessing which up unto this day has been a great inspiration in my life. I have never met Elder Hafen since but he left an indelible impression with me. I have always wanted to thank him and now I can do so in this unusual way.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    March 5, 2019 8:33 a.m.

@HUGSbetterthandrugs – “It takes great faith to believe only in a combination of science and atheism.”

This statement is profoundly misguided not to mention a logical contradiction.

First of all, science only claims knowledge when it has good evidence for it. When it doesn’t, it simply says “we don’t yet know.” It is religion that then “fills in” those gaps with faith and belief, not science.

As for atheism, it has no beliefs (let alone creeds, dogmas, orthodoxies, etc.). In fact it is the exact opposite of belief (thus your logical contradiction) – it disbelieves in all gods, superstitions, and metaphysical creeds, dogmas, and orthodoxies because there is no good evidence to support any of those beliefs.

PS – and everyone knows exactly what it’s like to be an atheist. Out of the 10,000 or so gods that have been postulated by humans in our history, even the most religious person today is an atheist with respect to 9,999 of them. We atheists just include one more god on our list than you do.

• HUGSbetterthandrugs Farmington, UT
    March 4, 2019 7:06 p.m.

It takes great faith to believe only in a combination of science and atheism.

To clearly understand the gaps in science, quantum physics etc. it requires to one to believe that something comes from nothing, and that the multiple proteins in the human body spontaneously emerged from some primordial soup and organized themselves into the complexity that is each of us. The mathematical probably is so Infinitesimally small that over the perceivable billions of years of the expansion of the universe one is more likely to win the lottery multiple times, be struck by lightening multiple times and then be resurrected and still not be in the same universe of probability.

Do not be mistaken atheism and science are a "religion". They have creeds, dogmas, zealots and orthodoxies.

In a world of ideasit is best to be sensible and see things as they really are. Faiths or lack there of, science, poetry, etc are tools to approach understanding. Blindly used is as bad as blindly dismissed.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    March 4, 2019 12:49 p.m.

Faith and religion are not the same thing. Faith is an inherent characteristic ln all animal life, especially in man. Religion is a man invented philosophy mostly implemented as business. Like all business faith may play an important role in its success. But it proves little of man’s subjective religious faith because god isn’t objective. He, it, she is reenventet with every new generation in thousands of different forms and manners to meet that generations needs.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    March 4, 2019 9:53 a.m.

Some contrary views on faith:

"Religion is a phase a species goes through when it evolves enough intelligence to ask profound questions but not enough to answer them." - Bill Flavell

“Ancient humans used the language of myth for that which they could not fathom.” Poul Anderson

“A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence" – David Hume

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
    - Chapman Cohen

“Faith is the license religious people give themselves to keep believing when reasons (and evidence) fail.” – Sam Harris

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    March 4, 2019 6:39 a.m.

@ Fullypresent

"The best way to overcome 'ambiguity and doubt' is too seek the truth. Following truth allows you to also have faith."

Faith in religion? I ask because, when I follow the truth I come up against the fact that religion is built upon assumptions: that gods, the supernatural, a hereafter exist. To date, we can't distinguish between these and emotional states.

This reminds me of a personal experience I had as I dealt with a horror unfolding before me. All of a sudden and quite involuntarily, I physically felt a protective curtain descend between my brain and reality, and I was filled with a sense that all would be okay. This wasn't true. The horror happened. The very worst possible thing (IMO) happened. But my psyche was protected from being overwhelmed and it survived to eventually heal.

I think believers would experience this and point to a god. To me it's just a built-in feature of our brains. Survival is the name of the game and that rush of calming chemicals was what was needed to keep this organism going. Pretty awesome. And to me, attempting to explain this with magical beings, attempting to make it all about us, only robs it of its awesomeness.

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    March 4, 2019 5:46 a.m.

>>The best way to overcome "ambiguity and doubt" is through solid science and education...

Well, sometimes. Before one can declare the best way to overcome "ambiguity and doubt," one has to first ask "ambiguity and doubt" about what? Science has no more business trying to answer questions about whether there is a soul than does faith has trying to answer questions about quantum physics.

• instagrannie Santa Clara, UT
    March 4, 2019 2:02 a.m.

I want to bear witness that having served with the Hafens in the St George Temple, having been the recipient of their tender and loving ministeresting, and owning and studying most of their books, my “feeling” is that they are brilliant and beautiful people who have helped me to strengthen my own faith in God Thank you DN for announcing the publication of this new book. I’m grateful that they are still thinking sublime thoughts and having Gospel conversations in book form.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    March 3, 2019 5:30 p.m.

The best way to overcome "ambiguity and doubt" is too seek the truth. Following truth allows you to also have faith. What creates ambiguity and doubt is not being told the truth. Not truth for the day or the time but truth that withstands the test of time.

When leaders do not speak the complete truth it creates ambiguity and doubt for followers.

• Red Corvette St George, UT
    March 3, 2019 1:57 p.m.

The best way to overcome "ambiguity and doubt" is through solid science and education, not faith, which is nothing more than feelings.