Church News: New series of videos emphasizes missionary safety

• bass679 Novi, MI
    March 4, 2019 11:47 a.m.

I mean... the death rate for missionaries is about 1/2 that of other people their age. I'm all for better safety training but the reality is there's almost 100,000 missionaries in the field which works out to about 1 death per year statistically speaking. It's terrible and heartbreaking but they are actually quite safe in general.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    March 2, 2019 7:58 a.m.

"...way overdue".

Yes, indeed. I'm sure the Church's risk management department has had the fire lit under them by all the law suits. As an organization, the Church mitigates its liability by providing safety training for its "volunteers" as well as paid employees.

It is a prudent business decision.

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    March 1, 2019 7:21 p.m.

@inkmom
    You're on the right track as far as alluding to some potential issues with the new missionaries. Let me see if I can make a guess as to perhaps the most critical issue. It is maturity. With the change in age requirement for missions, there's a possibility that some young missionaries have a lot to learn about life in general. There's this belief, albeit a stereotype, that high school kids are immature and sometimes do things that most parents find offensive, irresponsible if not stupid. Science also supports this notion in studies of brain development where a certain part of the brain that is responsible for decision making for teenagers is not fully developed until age 25. In other words, expect some audacious, immature and daring actions and decisions of some of the new crop of missionaries.

• debhenlin Washington, UT
    March 1, 2019 12:43 p.m.

With a daughter in Guatemala, I hope these become available to missionaries everywhere. Great addition to missionary training!

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    March 1, 2019 11:44 a.m.

A video series like this doesn't get produced on a moment's notice. So we know for certain that the church has been working on this for quite some time. At least a year, I'd guess, maybe 2 or 3 years given the personal accounts of returned missionaries included in the series.

This simple experience should be a lesson to all those who a few days ago were demanding the church pay more attention to missionary safety, and certainly to those who claimed the church wasn't doing enough. Those called to lead the Lord's church are far more in touch, and revelation far more at work, than even too many, otherwise faithful members of the church are willing to remember.

It is also important to point out that safety training has long been part of missionary training. Previously it has been presented in written form, or perhaps passed verbally from trainers and senior companions to junior companions. This entertaining video presentation may say something about the common sense and maturity of the current generation that is spiritual remarkable.

@Malihini:

Bikes not only provide economical transportation, but enable more contacting than the isolation of a car. Proper safety is possible.

• RebelScum Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2019 11:20 a.m.

This is so awesome, and way overdue.

• lnkmom Lehi, UT
    March 1, 2019 10:40 a.m.

While I agree that this is needed, I think it says a lot about the current generation of young adults currently in the Mission Field.

My aunt (who rarely attends Church) has always said, "I know the Church is true, cause if it wasn't a bunch of 19 year old boys on Missions would have destroyed it by now!" It has always been a fact that these are people who are still learning and growing and will make mistakes (we have all heard the stories!). But something has changed with the current group serving... what that is I'm not sure, but I'm trying to prepare my kids to hopefully avoid some of these simple lapses of judgement!

• Malihini Northern, UT
    March 1, 2019 8:33 a.m.

That is a nice video and a great idea to provide continual, on-going safety training. Quite frankly I think it is about time the church did this, it is way overdue. Now, the next step they need to take is get these missionaries off of the bikes. The church can afford to put them in cars. I would say that every missionary either has a car or, where that doesn't make sense, they can access public transportation...but no bikes in traffic!