Here's how much the increase for Utah Utes season tickets will be

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 19, 2019 3:04 p.m.

@London_Josh

"It's a DNews article from 2013. That's well within the PAC years yet as I stated it's a few years ago."

Thanks for the response. The source explains a lot!
    This will be my last posting on this subject: Here is a breakout of my current bill for each seat this season. Cost is per game: Seat: $82; The cost to be able to buy the seat $38; (sub total $120); new this season $28 for Scholarship fund; $6 stadium fund; and $1 processing. This totals $155 or for the 7 games $1,090. (This doesn't include $10 (last year) for parking; or $5 for a drink!)
    Question: What would consider the cost per game for the ticket? From the price indicated in the Dnew article, I believe, it would appear they felt the cost was $82. What I know is if I buy a seat for the season I will pay $155/seat/game. If I don't, the cost is $0.

In an article about Utah's FB and BB coaches it said there is a waiting list of some 3,000 requested seats - even at these prices.

Contrast that with a posting on CB last year where a fan did not renew his ticket until the third call (after the deadline for renewal had passed. Only then because he paid the same price for seats 19 rows closer

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 18, 2019 8:36 p.m.

Marked it Down:

Sorry little bro, but the math doesn't support the myth. Over the past 4-yrs, your road attendances have been under 600 fans ahead of average. That's NOT a large traveling contingency. So you're wasting your breath. Math says you don't travel well, and LES says you don't even travel well to your OWN stadium.

Fail.

LOL

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2019 6:51 p.m.

“It's quite obvious to anyone other than you and azute1 and the other crimson goggles wearers, that BYU draws significantly more fans to the same bowl games than Utah.”

You unequivocally made that up.....How frantic & emotional of you.

Go Utes!

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Feb. 18, 2019 12:30 a.m.

@Who Am I,

People are making the most ridiculous claims and trying to prove points with it - like the argument that BYU doesn't travel. BYU travels, Utah travels too - BYU you get guys like me brining my kids and families showing up and Utah you get rowdy fans. I'd much rather be with my kids, but if a I want a really fun game I'd much rather be at the louder Utah stadium - but then again I'd much rather attend a European soccer game which puts anything we have to shame. Just a matter of taste.

What does it mean?

Nothing.

Utah puts on a good show, they sell out a stadium. BYU puts on a different kind of good show, they have more people attend in a larger stadium but don't generally sell it out. Both offer a good value to fans - and neither are superior against each other on their separate offerings - they offer 2 different products, I personally like both but for those who don't then their brand isn't exalted by debasing the other brand.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2019 9:55 p.m.

Navel Vet

"Those bowl games don't prove that it was the "Cougars" who'd traveled to those games."

LOL

EVERY Las Vegas Bowl BYU has played in, regardless of opponent, has drawn over 40,000+.

Only TWO of the five Las Vegas Bowls Utah has played in drew 40,000+, and those two included BYU and Boise State as opponents.

Coincidence?

Hardly.

Utah only drew 30,894 versus USC. Pathetic for two fan bases only 6 hours driving distance or less from Las Vegas.

And let's not forget, the Utah-Washington CCG only drew 35,134, 5,000 fewer than any of BYU's Las Vegas Bowls.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Feb. 17, 2019 8:23 p.m.

Great, now we have the predictable back and forth about stadium size and attendance. Here's an important question: who cares? We live in a time when TV deals and social markets/followers matter more than stadium attendance. I grew up in SEC country, where both BYU's and Utah's stadiums would be considered puny, and even they don't brag about size and attendance any more.

Yes they are loud and crazy, and the noise level is deafening when everyone's on their feet in a sea of red...but I don't remember the last time Dawg fans (or CT, lizard, or Vols fans for that matter) bragged about the size and attendance of our stadium. Get over it.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 17, 2019 7:48 p.m.

Naval Vet has officially OWNED this thread, period!

Go Utes!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 17, 2019 6:42 p.m.

ND95CA, blue n gold, & Riddles in the Dark:

You guys can't even sell out your OWN stadium, and you want us to believe that you're selling out other "bowl games"??? Those bowl games don't prove that it was the "cougars" who'd travelled to those games. And what's up with citing all those "pre-independence era" games? Haven't you any substance since 2011?

I'd thought not. And there's a REASON for that too! It's because you all DON'T travel well to games.

#MythBusted

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Feb. 17, 2019 4:45 p.m.

• ND95CA Lincoln Park, IL
    Feb. 17, 2019 1:51 p.m.

Whoami

re: “Average BYU attendance 2013 to 2017: 58,346"

“91.6% of capacity or nearly 1 of every 10 seats vacant.”

Until Utah expands RES to 60,000+ and averages more than 58,346 over a 5-year period,

all of your talk about RES sellouts and ticket prices is nothing but a bunch of crimson smoke blowing.

BYU was drawing 46,000+ in 1981, BEFORE LES was expanded.

RES capacity nearly 40 years later is still a paltry 45,017.

• blue n gold Redmond, WA
    Feb. 17, 2019 1:37 p.m.

Riddles in the Dark - "Compare the attendance at Holiday and Las Vegas Bowls that Utah and BYU have played in and you’ll see that BYU travels MUCH better than Utah... It’s not even close."

Absolutely true!

BYU Holiday Bowl
    1979 - 52,500 Indiana
    1980 - 50,200 SMU
    1981 - 52,419 Wash St
    1982 - 52,533 Ohio St
    1983 - 51,480 Missouri
    1984 - 61,243 Michigan (stadium expanded)
    1989 - 61,113 Penn St

1999 - 28,227 Fresno St
    2001 - 30,894 USC
    2010 - 41,923 Boise St
    2014 - 33,067 Colorado St
    2015 - 42,213 BYU
    Average - 35,265

In Utah's biggest bowl game since the Sugar Bowl, the Utes drew 8,500 fewer than BYU averaged in 10 Holiday Bowls.

BYU averaged 6,000 more in the Las Vegas Bowl and never drew fewer than 40,000; Utah only topped 40,000 when they played Boise St and BYU.

Navel Vet may desperately try to spin it, but the numbers are conclusive, BYU travels MUCH better than Utah.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2019 10:14 a.m.

Navy boy

It’s not even close.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 16, 2019 10:41 p.m.

@london josh

"A few years ago an article spoke about that.
    End zone tickets at BYU were $30 compared to $25 at Utah, 20 yd tickets were $75 compared to $78 at Utah, and 50 yd tickets were $225 compared to $157 at Utah.
    National averages are $49, $93, and $194."

Define "A few years ago.." Better yet, reference your source. I have too much respect for you as a poster to think that you might be quoting prices from the MWC days (over 8 years ago) - but some might try to say that was "a few years ago".

What I do know is what I've posted elsewhere. I looked up how much a ticket in somewhat comparable location to mine at RES for the $280 to mid $ 300 whereas my invoice is for $1,090. I invite you to make the same comparison for any location. The problem in doing so is that you might not be able to find a price for the Utah games as they could all be sold out!
    But try anyway.
    Remember I would like to see your source for the prices you quoted and find out just what is a "few years ago".

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 16, 2019 9:36 p.m.

london_josh:

"For BYU to have so many fans in a smaller market is impressive in it's own right...there are a lot of BYU fans and anybody saying that BYU doesn't travel well hasn't gone to many BYU road games."

That whole "cougar fans travel well to away games" is nothing more than some desperate "folklore" myth, and anybody who thinks one has to attend a cougar roadie to know that they DON'T travel well is "uneducated". Because the ONLY way to count cougar fans at a game would be to...

1. Poll every single person entering the stadium as to whom they cheer for.

...or...

2. Count every single person in the stadium wearing cougar collegiate licensed merchandise, plus every person standing to the right of someone wearing an "I'm with stupid -->" T-shirt.

And for the record, I know for a fact that nobody had ever done either above option!

But there IS another way. And one that doesn't require attending the game...

1. Look at the announced game attendance.
    2. Look at the "average game attendance" for the season.
    3. Calculate the difference.

And THAT is how you'll know what "impact" the Y has on road games.

And for the record, it proves your "folklore" tale to be a myth!

• Road Runner Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2019 8:36 p.m.

whoamu

re: “Average BYU attendance 2013 to 2017: 58,346"

“91.6% of capacity or nearly 1 of every 10 seats vacant. ”

Utah will NEVER draw 58,000+ to a single game, let alone average that many over 5 seasons.

The reason...

Utah’s admin will never be so foolish as to expand RES to 58,000+ because the commuter school on the hill simply doesn’t have enough fans to fill a big boy sized stadium.

• Ute Hawk or Red Rock? AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Feb. 16, 2019 5:42 p.m.

Waste of money any way you look at it.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 16, 2019 12:52 p.m.

@CG - Provo, UT:

LOL! I always love a good "guarantee" when there is nothing on the line with a totally improvable scenario added to a situation that will NEVER happen.

Love that cougar spin! Always good for a chuckle.

Go Utes!

• Utes-PAC12 canada, 00
    Feb. 16, 2019 12:26 p.m.

Utah football and gymnastics tickets are the best deal in Utah as of today by a freak'n long-shot! 25 years ago, the Utah Jazz was a tough ticket and worthwhile entertainment for any dollar amount. If you live for free tickets......go to the BYU Creamery......you can get all Y games for free in the "tip jar."

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 16, 2019 12:05 p.m.

Just out of curiosity I looked up how much a somewhat comparable season ticket for the 2019 BYU season would cost through the school. I found that it would be in the $280 to $350 range for the 6 games. My tickets for the 2019 Utah season (7 games) is $1,090 each!

It does not appear the 90% filled LES brings in as much revenue as the 102% filled RES even if the actual number of announced attendance is greater at LES. Or am I missing something?

• Lester L. Wester Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2019 11:32 a.m.

CG: "Guaranteed, BYU would have 50,000+ fans if the Cougars had been playing in that game."

Guaranteed, BYU-P will never, ever have the opportunity to prove you right.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Feb. 16, 2019 11:25 a.m.

"Average ticket cost $25.00 unless they are giving them away to fill seats."

A few years ago an article spoke about that.

National averages are $49, $93, and $194.

As for getting free seats, correct me if I'm wrong but don't Utah students get a free ticket each year while BYU students don't? I'm all for that, and the Utah students cheer much louder than the BYU students, it's a more energetic crowd.

There is a difference between season tickets and selling tickets, all schools like season tickets because while they go for less per ticket, they are a guarantee to the school of revenue for that seat.

Both stadium expansions are kind of lame, Utah got a handful of new seats and BYU fans can now go from the concourse on the sides to the end zones without going down the ramps while they still wait 20 minutes to pee if they need to. But both teams have good value prices.

As fans, who is arguing about good value on seeing games?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 16, 2019 10:42 a.m.

@lone*star

"Average BYU attendance 2013 to 2017:

58,346"

91.6% of capacity or nearly 1 of every 10 seats vacant. On the other hand Utah during that time about 102% capacity or 2 of every 100 fans willing to stand the entire game!

I recall seeing where Utah's and BYU's revenue from football ticket sales was about the same. That is before the increase ticket cost of Utah games and before the stadium expansion in two more years. (Total revenue for Utah's football exceeds that of BYU's)

It truly is great to be a Utah fan!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 16, 2019 10:16 a.m.

@sparklingBriefs
    and
    @Talkinsports

You both said you prefer BYU's home schedule in 2019 compared to Utah's. (I would venture a bet that this is the first time in the 9 years of independence you will have said that!)

And I understand your excitement! 4 (of 6) home games against highly regarded opponents.
    2 of the 4 (Washington 16; Utah 19) are preseason ranked top 25 teams and Boise State is commonly ranked and USC is, well, USC and almost always ranked!

I have always said I doubt I will ever get tired of reading/hearing USC at RES! (And the fact we have defeated them 3 of their 4 visits since members of the PAC-12 only adds to my pleasure!)

Utah will also play USC and Washington again this year; however, those are away games for Utah. (And we get to avoid Oregon and Stanford - unless we meet in the championship game.

But the one thing that stood out in looking at Utah's home schedule is that all 7 games the fans in RES will get to see the projected 19th best team in the FBS play. And in one of those games we play another nationally preseason ranked team (By Sporting News) - Washington State .

Now that's a bargain at the cost of these tickets!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Feb. 16, 2019 9:51 a.m.

Thank you, season ticket holders. I'm going to give it a couple of years and once y'all got this baby expanded, fixed up and paid for, perhaps I'll fly in and attend a game or two. Until then, it's Lays potato chips, cheap beer and the idiotic Pac 12 network for Xert! (Along with my one game at either the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl.) Go Utes!

• JSKM1232 Sandy, UT
    Feb. 16, 2019 8:14 a.m.

@Lone*Star - Austin, TX

"Average BYU attendance 2013 to 2017:

58,346"
    = = = = =
    Average ticket cost $25.00 unless they are giving them away to fill seats.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Feb. 16, 2019 1:25 a.m.

For any of you complaining, please sell your rights to me! I have been paying really ridiculous scalpers prices for ten years, yes, i could have had my own seats on the 63 rd row, but i like to be with the real fans, in The North! If any of you want to relinquish your rights, hit me up!

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Feb. 15, 2019 11:50 p.m.

I love the post by Who Am I - spot on!

These posts comparing BYU and Utah fans are stupid. For BYU to have so many fans in a smaller market is impressive in it's own right. BYU fans are different from Utah fans, sometimes annoying, but there are a lot of BYU fans and anybody saying that BYU doesn't travel well hasn't gone to many BYU road games.

Utah fans are more ruckus, and I say that as a compliment. It's a louder more passionate fanbase in general, far more engaging than most western teams. It's not the family atmosphere that BYU has, it's just Utah and I love going to Utah games as well. Utah also travels well, and again, it's just simply different than how BYU travels.

Congrats for being in the PAC, huge step up. BYU's schedule is not as big of a step up but the best BYU could do.

I don't see the point in trying to elevate one school by pulling the other school down - I've been to far more games at LES than RES but I've worn both red and blue at RES and had a lot of fun cheering for the Utes in many games growing up. Utah and BYU both fed off each other to get to where they are.

RES expanded, I'm okay with that. BYU added walkways, that doesn't offend me either!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 11:44 p.m.

I'll save even more money this year

• Lone*Star Austin, TX
    Feb. 15, 2019 8:17 p.m.

Average BYU attendance 2013 to 2017:

58,346

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 7:39 p.m.

"the conference of champions barely drew enough to to fill half of LES"...
    And, the "independent champions" barely draw enough to fill half of LES, except when Big Brother comes to town. 😹

• CO Ute , 00
    Feb. 15, 2019 7:09 p.m.

BYU fans mocking a school that sells out every game for raising ticket prices and for the attendance in a conference championship game. My suggestion is to stick to topics where you have some experience to back up your comments and neither of these situations applies to BYU.

But ever better is mocking the PAC games while your team has tried to load up their schedule with these teams.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 15, 2019 7:05 p.m.

CG - Provo, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 5:09 p.m.
    Lost

“That’s why they are talking about relocating the CCG – Levi stadium and the bay area are not good locations for a CCG.”

The Bay Area is much closer for Washington and for Utah playing in its first CCG, Santa Clara is closer than San Diego.

--------

Yet, 40 miles from Provo, BYU couldn't even travel 3,000 fans to thier Super Bowl game. Which your AD labeled as the biggest game for BYU since 2012.

Last 30 years, BYUs biggest game was 1997 Cotton Bowl. The attendance was 71,928, mostly Kansas State fans.

In 2004 Utah at Fiesta with Pitt, it was sea of Crimson 73,519.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 6:39 p.m.

1. Every year one/two of my children have chosen to sell their tickets to a game (it's usually the highest profile game!) and by doing so have either made money or come close to paying for their entire season.
    2. It's close but I agree this year BYU's home schedule is attractive. Yet we have 7 home games and the other consideration is we get to play teams like Washington, USC, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, etc. every other year - not once in 8 years! (and we have proven we can win more than our share of those games.)
    3. Ask any Utah fan if they would ever consider going back to the MWC - the answer should not surprise anyone! I got an e-mail to day that had this message "Even though there are days I wish I could change some things that happened in the past, there is a reason the rear view mirror is so small and the windshield is so big, where you are headed is much more important than what you left behind." I love where we are headed and I just wish those responsible for our football scheduling would understand this message.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 15, 2019 5:13 p.m.

@talkinsports:

"I prefer BYU's 2019 home schedule "

Of course you do - Utah's coming to town! All kidding aside, byu does have a decent home schedule in 2019 - finally. You guys should have fun. But - you missed a Utah home game - we have 7 this year.

I am a season ticket holder in the NEZ. Those seats are the biggest bargain around. Worth every penny I spend (and I travel to SLC from Vegas for every home game too).

Go Utes!

Thanks Max for once again showing how much your life revolves around all things Utah! Love it!!

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Feb. 15, 2019 5:08 p.m.

talkinsports - Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 15, 2019 3:18 p.m.

It would be fun to play a PAC 12 schedule every season, but I prefer BYU's 2019 home schedule over Utah's 2019 home schedule.

BYU - Utah, USC, Washington, Boise St, Liberty, Idaho St
    Utah - NIU, Idaho St, Washington St, Arizona St, California, UCLA

Yes, the Cougars have put together a great home schedule, maybe their best ever. I’m anxious to see how they do against the PAC schools that BYU fans continue to label “weak”.

• CG Provo, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 5:09 p.m.

Lost

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 4:12 p.m.

Gonna play with the big boys, pay like the big boys

Ufan
    Guess you didn’t read the article or see the expansion plans.

Some of the funds go to the student athletes. The expansion is the south end zone and improvements to the locker rooms – not to fat cat sky boxes.

Ute buster
    You do understand that P5 is Power FIVE, don’t you? Your exclusion of the PAC12 reduces that to P4. If that’s what you meant, why didn’t you say it?

ND95CA

They’ve moved the basketball tournament to Vegas. Once the Raiders have their stadium, it would be a great venue for the CCG. Easy to get to, warmer, less cost-prohibitive ($80 hotel rooms vs $400 hotel rooms)

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 15, 2019 3:54 p.m.

As a season ticket holder, alum and longtime Ute the tickets are worth every single penny!

Go UTES!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 15, 2019 3:28 p.m.

Wow, looks it’s the usual Haters flocking to a Utah article, shocker.

Question for any Utah season ticket holder out there, is it possible to scalp one or two tickets for far above face value to help offset the cost? A Good friend of mine is a season ticket holder for the Seahawks, he sells two or three of the games and a pays for the whole season. He always lets me pick a game of my choice and takes me for free, pretty cool

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 15, 2019 3:18 p.m.

Ute in Canada

"If I ever lived in Utah again, which is NEVER, the 1st thing I'd do is buy the best season tickets I could find to U football and Red Rock gymnastics."

BYU - Utah, USC, Washington, Boise St, Liberty, Idaho St
    Utah - NIU, Idaho St, Washington St, Arizona St, California, UCLA

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 2:31 p.m.

Max, every topic is fuel to mock byu.

Ease up, it's a joke. But, the insecurity of the blue faithful is always good for a laugh. 😹

• ND95CA Lincoln Park, IL
    Feb. 15, 2019 2:31 p.m.

Max-was-right -

"How did u ticket prices end up being the fuel to mock BYU?"

When your commuter school-sized fan base isn't large enough to fill a big boy-sized stadium, bragging about your sellouts and ticket prices is all you've got.

The attendance for Utah's first P12 championship says it all...

Utah versus Washington CCG Attendance: 35,134

The "conference of champions" barely drew enough fans to fill HALF of LES.

• Max-was-right Mapleton, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 2:05 p.m.

How did u ticket prices end up being the fuel to mock BYU?

U fans are desperate beyond even what I imagined they would end up.

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 2:01 p.m.

Any price is too much to watch a team from the pac. pac football and basketball are just too hard to watch anymore. I would rather watch a real P5 conference play, not a has-been one.

• Thin Blue Line ,
    Feb. 15, 2019 1:35 p.m.

@Utes-PAC12 - canada, 00
    Feb. 15, 2019 1:22 p.m.
    "I think this is great! So what if ticket prices go up? The U football games are the best entertainment in Utah. Ya cheap folks can go watch the BYU Cougarettes prance around in prairie dresses, get two pieces of pizza and a jug of BYU Creamery chocolate milk for FREE! I'd rather pay a fair price to watch a great PAC12 game!"

I must have missed it. What does this have to do with BYU? This is economics. The stadium is sold out and will likely stay that way even after the meager expansion. Supply and demand says you continue raising the tickets until attendance falls below capacity. This is the price of P5 membership.

• Utes-PAC12 canada, 00
    Feb. 15, 2019 1:34 p.m.

If I ever lived in Utah again, which is NEVER, the 1st thing I'd do is buy the best season tickets I could find to U football and Red Rock gymnastics. The Utah Jazz is okay these days, I'll pass though, but U football and gymnastics is the game, the real deal, these days in the state of Utah hands down!

• Utes-PAC12 canada, 00
    Feb. 15, 2019 1:22 p.m.

• top of the world ,
    Feb. 15, 2019 12:41 p.m.

They are worth the money. But tickets...attend games...see wins...go to championship game...be happy to be in PAC...give up a couple of Big Macs.

• hmth8tr TOOELE, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 12:25 p.m.

Looking at my invoice online, our seats only went up about $.06 per seat per game. It looks more like they just renamed some of the fees and allocated some of the money to the Crimson Club as mentioned in the article.

• Guido Pescatore Layton, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 12:01 p.m.

I'm a long time season ticket holder and huge fan, but they are close to pricing me out of my seats now. I appreciate that they need to pay for stadium improvements and whatnot, but I have a budget and this might not fit in it.

As a side note, I am curious how many people are on the waiting list for season tickets. I know that they are planning to increase the stadium by 8,000 seats (or whatever), and with the increased prices, I wonder if they will still be able to fill all the seats. Kudos to them if they can, but I have to think that there's one or two others out there in my position who are going to be priced out, which might leave a few empty seats as a result of their quest for more cash.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 11:47 a.m.

So Utah is going to fleece all season ticket holders to pay for fat cat luxury seats?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Feb. 15, 2019 11:29 a.m.

"Utah’s home schedule this fall includes games against Northern Illinois (Sept. 7), Idaho State (Sept. 14), Washington State (Sept. 28), Arizona State (Oct. 19), California (Oct. 26), UCLA (Nov. 16) and Colorado (Nov. 30)."

Wow. Increased pricing to see this sked? Unless my vendor kicks in some tix for a few games again, I'm not paying to see that.