Age limit for purchasing tobacco is rising in Lehi, and possibly Utah

• JLindow St. George, UT
    Feb. 14, 2019 2:27 p.m.

The main reason for this type of legislation is to break the chain of legal-age smokers getting under-age smokers started in High School. Nothing to do with whether you're mature enough to decide what to put in your body.

I don't think vaping should be treated the same as smoking unless it's found to be as harmful, though. One smells like burning garbage, to the determent of people with working noses; the other just looks funny.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 14, 2019 9:59 a.m.

Finally something good from the Lehi City Council! So our roads are bad and overcrowded, water pressure is declining in homes, parks are few and far between; it's great to see some positive moves from the city!

• Flipphone , 00
    Feb. 14, 2019 9:29 a.m.

Most begin smoking before legal age . 21 will make little difference if any.

• Joe Hilll Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 14, 2019 9:10 a.m.

I agree with George and Max Power. If you are not old enough to smoke or drink alcohol then you are not old enough to join the military. we know that the frontal lope which is responsible for cognitive reasoning and behavior regulation does not fully develop until a persons early 20's, this inculcates making the life altering decisions to join the military where we ask people to make sometimes very quick decisions that could end another persons life and alter their own life's forever. raise the draft and option to join the military to 21.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 14, 2019 8:27 a.m.

Silly and useless measure.

But that is what I always expect when dealing with the kind of people who run for office in Utah.

• JMOpinion Orem, UT
    Feb. 14, 2019 7:41 a.m.

Thank you Lehi City Council! That this issue has been presented to the legislature in the past and not received a committee hearing leaves me scratching my head. This is common sense and can save lives. Let’s get this done state wide!

• dogbreath Francis, UT
    Feb. 14, 2019 7:12 a.m.

Why not raise the age limit to smoke to 100 years as Hawaii is attempting to do?

• MaxPower Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 14, 2019 7:02 a.m.

I would support such a move only if we raise the age of the draft to 21, and make that the minimum age to join the military.

If I am responsible enough to make a decision to potentially sign my life away, I should be responsible enough to make the decisions as to what my body consumes.

If raising the minimum age of smoking reduces the amount of smokers, then outlawing guns ought to do away with mass shootings, right?

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Feb. 14, 2019 7:01 a.m.

Silly, because American Fork and Saratoga Springs won't fill that void.

This is like when several cities in Utah County didn't sell beer on Sunday, other filled the need and eventually everybody did, cause were not a theocracy, and the market should decide, right?

The tax on e-cigs is just another chance for our legislature to pass a sin tax, it's safe for them to tax a minority. The price won't stop kids, they don't get them legally anyway, it just punishes legal purchases, and it's all about the punishing.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 10:54 p.m.

Society seems to, quite accurately, recognize that youths are not mature enough to smoke or drink until 21.

Yet we let these people, most of whom have never had a job or paid taxes, vote ?!?!!

Time to return the voting age to 21.

• dulce et decorum est , 00
    Feb. 13, 2019 9:18 p.m.

I support this legislation.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 7:29 p.m.

It has always got me, you are old enough to join the military a kill, but ya ain't to drink or smoke.