Utah target shooter who killed teen ordered to teach gun safety

14-year-old victim was traveling in car with family when he was shot

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Feb. 14, 2019 10:42 a.m.

@David

". Do we send people to jail when they drive in reverse out of their garage and tragically run over a small child? God forbid this happens to anyone. "

Do we send people to jail for leaving their child in the backseat of a hot car and dies? Often times the answer is yes.

• Daedalus, Stephen Arvada, CO
    Feb. 14, 2019 10:33 a.m.

The gun did what it was designed and manufactured to do.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Feb. 14, 2019 10:31 a.m.

A woman who killed a young boy with a gun is going to teach a gun safety class. How ironic is that? Will she brush up on her safety skills first?

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 14, 2019 9:36 a.m.

In my opinion
    She really should have her gun rights taken away for life...or longer.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 14, 2019 8:15 a.m.

@david

”To me, it seems jail is usually for those who intentionally break the law.”

I suggest you look up the definition of negligent homicide: "Causing the death of another person without intent to kill but as a result of negligence or reckless action."

If that doesn't describe this situation, I don't know what does.

Negligent homicide is a Class A misdemeanor in Utah, punishable by 1 year in prison and a $2500 fine.

Seems like a pretty open and shut case to me.

Also, this just goes to prove that there's no way to use a gun totally safely. Consider that before you buy one.

• Bob01 Layton, Utah
    Feb. 14, 2019 6:48 a.m.

I agree that absolutely no jail time seems very lenient. I realize it was a mistake, but because of that woman's negligence, an innocent young life was lost. It doesn't get any more serious than that. What kind of message does this send about the worth of a young innocent life? I'd be pretty upset with this outcome if I was that boys family.

• David Centerville, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 11:16 p.m.

Latter-day Saint Forever,

I disagree. To me, it seems jail is usually for those who intentionally break the law. In this case, this target shooter had no intention of hurting/killing someone. It was a tragic, tragic mistake. Do we send people to jail when they drive in reverse out of their garage and tragically run over a small child? God forbid this happens to anyone. Additionally, the shooter is still a child herself. This will certainly affect and haunt her entire life.

I tend to dislike minimum sentencing laws. I feel judges are trained, experienced, and are in the environment where they can assess the people involved. In this case, the judge has opted to not send this 14 year old to jail. It is good to usually trust the trained specialists.

• Latter-daySaintForever St. George, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 9:21 p.m.

She should have got some jail time. The mother of the boy she killed thought she should at least go to jail for a year. Shouldn't the mothers wishes mean something. Being in a video to try and teach others something she did not understand her self makes so much sense, Not.