Here's how many Americans say wearing blackface for Halloween is sometimes acceptable

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 14, 2019 4:06 p.m.

I dressed up as a Cowboy when I was a kid when we played cowboys and Indians. I wonder who I offended? I hope my Mom has disposed of the pictures or my career is down the drain.

• mohokat , 00
    Feb. 14, 2019 8:40 a.m.

Another Wah Wah Wah issue. Safe space, participation trophies. Let's just have a new rule. If it as in anything, offends anyone I mean anyone it's off limits. What a joke .

• MGoodwin Murray/USA, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 11:57 p.m.

I was taught that black face makeup was a very specific facial makeup and way of acting, I don't think that is in any way appropriate, but frankly I think it's a little silly how the definition of what constitutes it is ballooning out of control. I read an article the other day about some activist getting bent out of shape about pictures of coal miners and another complaining about the racist chimney sweeps in Mary Poppins, really? You have to be frighteningly ignorant of the world around you or going out looking for something to be offended at to think that.

To the matter of people dressing up as different races, I think we all need to take a step out of the trenches and stop automatically assuming the worst intentions when people do stuff. Unless you're a jedi you can't read minds, maybe the teenager with darkened skin is trying to look closer to a character they like rather than attempting to insult you, a person they probably don't know. Being offended by the actions of someone else is a choice.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 1:10 p.m.

Can you also do a study on if it's OK to wear green-face if you are dressing up as a witch?

Also study if it's OK to wear white-face if you are dressing up as a ghost, or a vampire.

I don't know for sure what group zombie makup offends, but I'm sure it offends somebody.

What about dressing up as a ninja (my grand kid did this last year). Wonder if he offended Japanese people.

Some groups are so sensitive.

I don't get why it's so offensive. But if it offends them, I'm not going to do it.

Doesn't make sense to do something you know offends people.

• banliberals Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 12:46 p.m.

I will never watch Racist Kimmel or Fallon again........boycott is on!

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Feb. 13, 2019 12:29 p.m.

jsf,
    " . . . . that not what Kimmel, Fallon, Silverman are doing? Where is the left outrage? They did it for the comedic baffooning. Yet not a wisper."
    ____________________
    No one should he or she is entitled to get a pass. NBC cancelled Megyn Kelly's morning show over her suggestion that wearing blackface could be OK.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 12:18 p.m.

"Blackface" as that term really applies is never acceptable. "Blackface" is to paint one's face black, leaving large white circles around the eyes and mouth and to then portray blacks as one-dimensional charactchers of simple minded, lazy, and hyper-sexualized. Obviously, this can never be acceptable.

In contrast, if someone wants to dress up as Michael Jackson or Karl Malone or even President Obama for a Halloween or other party or a talent show, I don't see how makeup is materially different than wearing a cheap plastic mask with a photo of the person. An honest attempt to emulate the king of pop by doing a cover of one of his songs and impersonating his dancing during a talent show is not "blackface" even one wears a wig and makeup along with some black pants, a red jacket, and a white glove.

The problem is not dressing as someone of another race, the problem is not understanding what "blackface" is or isn't.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 10:49 a.m.

So Craig is that not what Kimmel, Fallon, Silverman are doing? Where is the left outrage? They did it for the comedic baffooning. Yet not a wisper.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Feb. 13, 2019 10:32 a.m.

Blackface was widely used on stage and screen in the 1920s and 30s by white actors playing black characters in comedic skits that made blacks look like clownish buffoons. The white audiences would roar with laughter. Among the most famous was the white actor Al Jolson who put on blackface for his role in the Jazz Singer. Meanwhile, black actors in that era had difficulty finding work in the theater and in film. When they did get roles, it was invariably as domestic servants, the stable boy, the maid, etc.

It's not hard to see why it's a sensitive issue today when white people put on blackface to go to a party.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 10:31 a.m.

Keenen Wayans and starring his brothers Shawn and Marlon Wayans, went one step further in their misogynist, racist film White Chicks. No complaints?

Is it racial appropriation when someone who is not Caucasian bleaches straightens, and dyes their hair blond?

Kimmel as co-host on The Man Show. dressed in blackface as Karl Malone and preceded to act in southern stereotyped speech of illiterate blacks of the South.

Then there is the racist Joe Biden extolling the virtues of Obama and how he hade risen above his stereotyped belief of blacks as illiterate.

And how is it men can dress as women and no one cares.

The ultimate black face farce is saying the scene of Mary Poppins with faces covered in coal soot was racist.

These are the ultimate in PC hypocrisy and stupidity.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 9:56 a.m.

My Mom dressed me up as Little Black Sambo for Halloween when I was in second grade. I wore a black unitard and she painted my face and hands black. Wasn't my choice. I was so embarrassed that I refused to do the parade down the hall of our school. Mainly because I felt like I was naked. Race never entered into my thinking because the book was acceptable reading back then and was actually one of my favorite stories. Was my Mom racist? Was I?

The answer to that is no.

In 1965, no one cared, except me, and it wasn't race I cared about.

So, if it is unacceptable to dress as another race, then men shouldn't dress as women and visa versa either.

I guess black movie actors are exempt from dressing up like other races too, eh?

• jimjr Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 9:48 a.m.

It should depend on the definition of blackface. My grandson dressed up as a werewolf on Halloween by blackening/browning his face then added whiskers, ears etc. Actually, he didn’t look that believable. But there was no race connotation meant or implied towards race.

That said, to blacken faces to represent race is another matter. Since it offends so many by giving the impression of racism, don’t do it.

• GrainOfSalt Draper, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 7:46 a.m.

Our society has become so hypersensitive on all things race, and it isn't necessarily a good thing. I've darkened my face many times for Halloween -- to be an islander savage, a werewolf, and so on. Shall I be forced now to resign from any important positions I may hold? When are we going to start looking on the heart and intentions of people? We are becoming paralyzed as a society for fear of offending someone. I learned a long time ago that if someone is looking to be offended there isn't much you can do to prevent it.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Feb. 13, 2019 5:46 a.m.

Given the racial tensions that have been exacerbated in the last couple of years, how is it that so many people still think 'black face' is acceptable?