Parker Van Dyke’s gamer-winner against UCLA was incredible, but did it top these five other Ute buzzer-beaters?

• JSKM1232 Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2019 11:48 a.m.

@Max-was-right - Mapleton, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 1:30 p.m.
    The best of all buzzer beaters was Jimmers 70’ shot in salt lake. Now we’re talking
    = = = = =
    The Title of the article was"Five other Ute buzzer beaters". I hate to tell you this but Jimmers (sic) didn't play for Utah.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 13, 2019 7:55 a.m.

All were incredible in their own right....The most recent one is momentarily the most enjoyable is all....What a shot by PVD/assist by SB!

Go Utes!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 10:21 p.m.

As a "shot" this one was an addition to this list.

As part of an impossible come back this one stands alone.

Here are quotes from the PAC-12 announcers:

(Time left in regulation); score at the time; quote
    12:03; 22 points down "all Bruins in this game"
    8:41 57-74 "get a stop, get a three, get a stop; before the time out you've got a chance to "be competitive"!
    7:56; 60-74; The Utes have a life.
    7:11; 62-76; The Utes just refuse to go away.
    4:21; 66-80; It feels a tittle tighter than that.
    3:56; 66-80; Utah keeps hanging around like a bad cold.
    83-87; 28.3; You live long enough you see it all.
    88-89; 8.1; Are you kidding me. This Ute team just not; just refuses to go away.
    Game over; 93-92; Utah does the unbelieveable. After trailing by 22. I don't believe it - I don't believe it. Wow, one of the greatest comebacks you will ever see.

And the shot of the UCLA fan said it all, "WOW!"

• Simple Holladay, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 7:59 p.m.

hard to compare one vs the other. Hendrix has to be the most improbable. All Wyoming has to do is inbound the ball. Game over.
    Van Dyke's shot as has been mentioned went in after regulation ended.
    Van Horn's shot was improbable, but the Utes were the favorite in that game and they should have won.

Take your pick, last second wins are always fun.

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 12, 2019 3:30 p.m.

These are all great buzzer beaters, but I recall a triple overtime game in the Marriott Center in the mid 1980's were most of Utah's starters had fouled out and the last player on the bench was fan favorite Clyde Rivers who had to be put in due to not having enough players left to have five players on the floor. Clyde rarely played, but was known for hitting three pointers. I know he made a shot or two, and if I remember correctly, another Ute named Bobby Adair hit the game winner to knock off BYU in Provo.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 12, 2019 3:27 p.m.

@minnesota Ute

Dude, let him have Jimmer. It's literally all he's got in his basketball universe. You and I are so spoiled.

• Minnesota Ute Bloomington, MN
    Feb. 12, 2019 3:13 p.m.

@Max-was-right - Mapleton, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 1:30 p.m.

***************

So how is Jimmers NBA career going? Is it in any way similar to the career Andre Miller had? Is it in any way similar to the career Tom Chambers had? Is it in any way similar to the career Mike Newlin had?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 12, 2019 2:45 p.m.

I was at the Miller to Van Horn game in 97. I didn't want to see Utah lose in an upset, so I told my son we should go. He convinced me to stay - "have some faith in your team". It was a great bonding moment with my son.

That will always be my favorite game.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 1:48 p.m.

Many thrillers for the Utes and the flagship basketball program for the State of Utah. So much history and so many great moments it's hard to isolate just a few.

• CrimsonLifer Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 1:31 p.m.

Some of the previous games may have had more meaning. However, the cool part of Van Dyke's game winner is that the Utes never had a lead during regulation, yet still won the game!

Utes trailed the entire regulation of play. And while his shot was released within regulation, it went through as the buzzer sounded. Count it, Utes win.

Down by over 20 points came back and won on the road. All of that, for me, makes this one so impressive.

• Max-was-right Mapleton, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 1:30 p.m.

• Pacer Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 11:42 a.m.

Nothing will top the Van Horn tip-in for me. Once you knew it had to be a tip there seemed to be no chance they would win. But my Dad swears by the Hendrix game as the most improbable game-winner he's ever seen.

• oldbasketball Draper, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 11:15 a.m.

You haven't gone back far enough. There was a guy named (Joe?) Morton who played for the Utes in the late 50's or early 60's who made a habit out of making game winning buzzer beaters.
    The late great Jack Gardner had a play called the BYU special that won games multiple times at the buzzer.