Utah's top college football recruit Puka Nacua picks Washington

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 13, 2019 8:16 a.m.

Aggie Baize - Nampa, ID
    Feb. 13, 2019 6:27 a.m.

@ Chris B, what was the Utes final ranking this last season?

——

#17 CFP final ranked, THE premier poll of our day....No other school in UT appeared in its final ranking....And we did so against the #26 ranked SOS....What were byu’s/usu’s SOS rankings?

Go Utes!

• Aggie Baize Nampa, ID
    Feb. 13, 2019 6:27 a.m.

@ Chris B, what was the Utes final ranking this last season?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 3:22 p.m.

Spokane:
    I just looked up the two QBs you're referring to...wow. Both of them were rated 95+. That QB room is the envy of every other CFB team in America. No one can keep them around now with the transfer portal, so again it speaks to the kind of coach Petersen is that he was able to retain all 3 of them.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 3:18 p.m.

Uteology:
    "I am sure you were even more amused that a 4-star recruit from Utah County, whose older brother played at BYU, didn't even list BYU in his top 100 destinations. Did BYU even bother to make an offer?"

He was offered by BYU and BYU was in his top 6 (maybe it was token, maybe it wasn't, who knows)...but I'm sure you already knew that since BYU's hat is sitting right there with USC, UCLA, UW, and Utah when he announced.

That said, I don't think it surprised anyone or amused anyone that he signed out of state. It would be nice to see Utah or BYU keep the best recruits here though...I think we can all agree on that.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 3:02 p.m.

SpokaneUte:
    "They also have two QB's who were Freshman last year that were in the top 60 of there class; a kid from Bothell, WA and a kid from Coeur D Alene, Idaho. They are loaded and Chris Peterson is a class act. Just as most of their fans are but there's always gotta be a tool or two in any fan base. I hope all is well my Friend. Peace!"

Things are going well my friend, hope all is well in Spokane (been WAY too long since I've been up there). Sounds like Nacua is going to a loaded QB room like you said. I only know about Eason first hand, but I'll take your word on the other two. Every Dawg at UGA is cheering Eason on, he's not just a good player, he's a class act all the way around, much like his new HC. Peace brother!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 12, 2019 1:11 p.m.

@Sanefan - Wellsville, UT

Talk about hypocrisy, Utah has been riding the coattails of the PAC 12 "conference of Champion" hogwash since they joined and they have the audacity too claim BYU fans participate in "winning by proxy." You guys crack me up.

------

Utah isn't riding on anyone's coattails.

* Top 25 program today
    * Twice South Champs (1 outright)
    * 19 CFP rankings
    * Beat 6 top 25 teams
    * 8-0 vs BYU

BYU:
    * 3rd in State today
    * 0 CFP rankings
    * 1 Top 25 win
    * 0 rivalry wins

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 12, 2019 1:03 p.m.

Duckhunter - Highland, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 11:38 p.m.
    This was a gut punch to ute “fans”, any denial by them is laughably false....

But it was a lot of fun watching ute “fans” claiming he was going there for the last several weeks while,knowing he would never go there. Lol

-------

How so? He was USC commit, he was never a Ute.

OUCH!!!

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 12:18 p.m.

@Duckhunter - Highland, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 11:38 p.m.

For the record: Utah fans would have been shocked had Puka selected Utah. No expectation.

I am a Utah fan and have followed recruiting for many yrs. with paid subscriptions to recruiting service sites like Rivals and Scout.

I literally don't know ANY Utah fan who thought Puka was picking Utah.

He was going out of State to a "named" program. He is a talent and I wish him success.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 11:48 a.m.

That is where I figured he'd go. A winner picks a winner and Washington is head and shoulders above the rest of the PAC 12. Good luck to him.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 12, 2019 11:42 a.m.

???? - Murray, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 11:22 a.m.

Hey Spokane,
    I'm actually FROM Lacey, WA. I live in Murray. Jobs take you where they take you. The only reason I post on here is to rile up the locals. It is way easier here then anywhere else.
    As for Oregon I genuinely dislike them. They beat us in OT and really killed our season. After that we didn't have much to play for. You are right that Coach Peterson is the man. How did he do against the Utes when he was at Boise? Stay sensitive my friend.
    ----------
    Totally understand; grew up in Riverton, LIVED in both Seattle and Lynnwood for 10+ years. My Dad lives in Murray. I prefer civil dialogue and bouncing sports off of others as to trolling for a fight/argument. I look forward to civil discussions in the future and I will work on growing thicker skin. Not going to bait me on Peterson and Boise St; too much respect for both. Stay Civil my friend!

• ???? Murray, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 11:22 a.m.

Hey Spokane,

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 12, 2019 11:01 a.m.

Cougsndawgs

I don't understand the vitriol of some fans about how this kid announced. I watched it and there wasn't anything over-the-top or crazy about it. They braved a storm to share it with everyone, and it was an exciting decision for the kid. And you can't really blame him for choosing Washington. If he was always going Pac12 that seems the safest choice with the most chance of success.

The angst over an announcement that was pretty low-key compared to a lot of kids just looks like sour grapes from Utah and BYU fans.

Btw, someone said UW doesn't have QBs to throw it to him. I can attest first hand that Jacob Eason is a very good QB (well he was up and down at UGA but he was only a freshman...he has a great arm). Eason was a 5 star guy that can sling it so that makes Nacua's decision all the more reasonable.
    ----------

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 12, 2019 10:42 a.m.

???? - Murray, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 10:10 a.m.

I find it interesting that Spokane, Naval, and Robin assume everybody is a BYU fan. I thoroughly enjoy getting after Utah fans. They may be the most insecure fan base in the country. It is almost like they were irrelevant for 50 years and they are waiting for purgatory to return. #UWHuskies
    ----------
    It's pretty obvious; A Husky fan from Murray who trolls Utah articles to bag on them? Yeah, right buddy. Wink Wink

Again, if you are a Husky fan you are far different from the ones I know; who are many. They respect Utah, and are true fans to there Dawgs. haters are gonna hate; tell us how you love Oregon now; or do you just hate everyone??????? When you pretend to be something you're not; your crediablity goes right down the drain.

• ???? Murray, UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 10:10 a.m.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Feb. 12, 2019 9:35 a.m.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 11:38 p.m.

This was a gut punch to ute “fans”, any denial by them is laughably false.

But look at it logically, why would any wr want to play for Utah? The upper limit for a wr there is maybe 40 catches for perhaps 600 yds and 5-6 TDs, it is simply an offensive wasteland where QBs and WRs go to die.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 11, 2019 7:48 p.m.

Naval Vet & Brave Robin Sir

You are both spot on. Amen brothers have a great evening

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 11, 2019 6:14 p.m.

@naval vet

"it's no coincidence that all the cougar fans pretending to be fans of some other Pac-12 school all root for UWa, Ore, USC, and Ariz St, whereas they NEVER pretend to be fans of Ore St, Cal, or Colo"

And the same reason they all become Gonzaga fans in March: In psychology it's called "winning by proxy."

• Tomahawk Red Miami Beach, FL
    Feb. 11, 2019 5:03 p.m.

Lol what a laugh this is.

Committed to USC, announcing on a SLC TV station, chooses Washington.

Should've avoided wasting everyone's time and announced in a tweet.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 4:32 p.m.

Oh well, maybe next year Utah will find a wr who can catch the ball, it would be the first since Steve Smith.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 11, 2019 4:29 p.m.

Spokane Ute:

"For the life of me I can’t understand why BYU fans masquerade as other PAC 12 school fans?"

It's because they're embarrassed. They know that a team who'd only beaten Utah 4 times this century -- and only ONCE in the past decade -- doesn't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing their big brother on the hill. Plus, they hate how we're a respected "P5" program, whereas they're still WACish and midmajory.

Make no mistake Spokane Ute: it's no coincidence that all the cougar fans pretending to be fans of some other Pac-12 school all root for UWa, Ore, USC, and Ariz St, whereas they NEVER pretend to be fans of Ore St, Cal, or Colo. It's because the former can beat us with any sense of regularity whereas the latter cannot. They're desperately searching for a "win", and they know they won't find one in Provo.

#BandwagonYners

• water rocket , 00
    Feb. 11, 2019 4:17 p.m.

I am disappointed in Nacua.

• ???? Murray, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 3:28 p.m.

The goal is to win your division. The Holiday bowl is fantastic. My Huskies keep on distancing themselves from the leftovers here in the West. University of Washington class of 02!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 1:43 p.m.

Welcome to the Pac 12 and the P5, and to the best team in the division. We know how all of those feel - and its amazing!

• Pac 12 Grad Orange County, CA
    Feb. 11, 2019 1:28 p.m.

Spokane Ute:

For the life of me I can’t understand why Utah fans masquerade as BYU fans? Why in the world would a Utah fan troll the Deseret News and bag on BYU at every turn? Real Utah fans have more respect and class then that.

It certainly makes one wonder ???????

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 11, 2019 12:59 p.m.

That’s surprising and his decision came with a ton of drama. Either way best of luck to this young man. For the life of me I can’t understand why BYU fans masquerade as other PAC 12 school fans? Why in the world would a Husky fan troll the Deseret News and bag on Utah at every turn? Real Husky fans have more respect and class then that.

It certainly makes one wonder ???????

• JackRyanSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 12:56 p.m.

People should do some research and see how many people Alabama loses to Clemson or LSU, etc... You are not going to get everyone. The fact that Utah has climbed enough to be in the discussion for this kid is great. I wish him well. Utah fans should still be way excited. Our talent is dramatically improving every year. We are finally getting some of the top kids and in the discussions for most. With Enis, Dixon, Nacua, Simpkins, and Covey next year...I'm very excited to see what happens in the passing game. With Moss and the new kid, along with the Green, DMC, Broomfield, and Shyne...no worries here. This year has the potential to be very exciting. People dogging Nacua for his announcement style should chill out...he is a young kid having fun. Just like beating Oregon this year with their top Utah recruit in attendance, it will be that much more exciting when we take Washington out on their home field this year.

• bano SANDY, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 12:36 p.m.

If he wants to go to Washington, fine, I have no problem with that. But don't come on live tv in Salt Lake where every viewer wanted you to choose Utah or BYU. Then on top of it waste an hour of all of our time while you make the foolish decision to drive from Provo to Salt Lake in a blizzard. Was it really that important to you to stick it to the local fans in this type of way. Just announce, but don't do it on local tv.

• so there you go ,
    Feb. 11, 2019 12:24 p.m.

Not a bad decision but wouldn't it be nice for family and friends to drive an hour to get to Salt Lake City and watch every home game for next to nothing in cost? Now Dad and Mom have to cough up $1000 or more per game to watch him play. Good luck young man.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Feb. 11, 2019 12:13 p.m.

I agree that the announcement had a princes factor to it.

he choose an LDS owned newstation on a Sunday a few miles from Utah campus - I seriously think he should have chosen starbucks for Washington.

As for his choice - he made a good one as Washington with Petersen is a stable program that he can do well at. UCS and UCLA are gowing through some growing pains, Utah has it's benefits but passing isn't the highlight of the Utah team, he's clearly got some issues with BYU although his brother seemed to do well at BYU. Oregon is like USC right now, should be back but nobody knows.

So right choice for him - but showboating doesn't often turn out well. character is important for any good player.

• RR Omaha, NE
    Feb. 11, 2019 11:55 a.m.

He wanted to go where he know he'd win. No other place in the West other than Boise can guarantee that. The PAC is so awful I'm sure he figures winning a few championships and getting into a playoff is likely there.

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 11:20 a.m.

I don't care for the way the kid handled the announcement. Seemed kind of like an in your face snub to Utah and BYU. I would say to him that character is important in life and not just athletic talent. I remember a QB who was number 1 in the nation signed with BYU and held this big TV announcement. He pretty much fizzled as a QB so there are no guarantees. Some of these kids think some football talent makes them maybe more special than others. Not so.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2019 10:44 a.m.

pacmidmajor - Springville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 9:14 a.m.
    What an Embarrassment to the ute program to continue to lose these instate players to other pac12 schools ... I wonder if his own brother advised him to sign elsewhere......I guess the light just shines brighter at other pac12 schools......

---------------------

Embarrassment?

Utah also picked up a USC 4-star commit. Losing 4-star talent to LSU, Washington isn't an embarrassment, losing them to BYU would be.

Actually, Kai Nacua told them to play anywhere but BYU.

Good luck Puka at Washington.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 10:24 a.m.

Puka was never going to stay in state, so why go on local TV to snub your nose at the fans of the local team?

I like their family and do hope the best for him, honestly. Good luck. Hope the Utes beat UW every time. But that has nothing to do with Puka.

65TossPowerTrap - Salmon, ID
    Feb. 11, 2019 8:29 a.m.

Strangely, USC is a dumpster fire. USC's "dumpster fire" recruiting class? #20 in the nation (per 247 sports).

Either of our teams would take that "dumpster fire" recruiting class ranking.

247 Sports ranks:
    Utah #43 - strong close.
    BYU #78 - 13 G5 teams with higher ranked classes. That is basically a full conference of G5 teams.

I wonder what program USC would say is a dumpster fire? Honestly, I do wonder. Because they are certainly in a down cycle.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 10:05 a.m.

pacmidmajor "What an Embarrassment to the ute program to continue to lose these instate players to other pac12 schools"

It must be an embarrassment to the other pac12 schools when the Ute program lands kids from California; an embarrassment to the big12 when they land Texas kids; an embarrassment to the SEC/ACC when they land Florida kids.

Silly notion to believe that the Utah schools have to retain all the in state players. You don't want a team of Utah-only kids. Look at the debacle of "LP3". How many NCAA tournament appearances/championships were they supposed to bring?

Good choice for Puka. Washington is QB-U, and Seattle is a fun place for a few years. Then again, as a receiver, how'd you pass on Washington State which has been in the top 5 nationally for passing since 2013?

• JapanCougar Layton, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 9:44 a.m.

If you're going to the Pac-12 and you care about football and academics, you choose Stanford, hands down.
    If you are primarily choosing for football only, Washington/Chris Petersen is the best choice. Nacua had lots of good choices, so it's a win-win. Good luck to him.

• Bensacola Orem, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 9:23 a.m.

This Athlete is one of the most impressive young men I've ever come to know, not only in Utah, but ever. We talked for a minute last week and I told him that Washington had the best recruiting class in the Pac 12 and his eyes lit up. I'm so pleased that he's going to a place with tradition and a culture rather than even my hometown favorite "dumpster-fire" USC. This will allow him to play in a Rosebowl and maybe a National Championship game, then if God does root for sports, than onto the NFL. Go Puka, we're proud!

• pacmidmajor Springville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 9:14 a.m.

• zipadeedoodah Lehi, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 8:55 a.m.

Dang it... wonder if he would have chosen differently had Utah beat Washington this year.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2019 8:54 a.m.

BOOOOOOOOOO!

• ???? Murray, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 8:40 a.m.

My Huskies coming in to Utah and getting it done! Pac-10 domination for the foreseeable future. It is so much easier to recruit when you are a conference champion.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Feb. 11, 2019 8:29 a.m.

Interesting choice given that Washington will be breaking in a new quarterback. I understand the USC decommit given the fact that USC is a dumpster fire. Best of luck to the young man.

• Robroy Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 8:10 a.m.

Good choice for Puka. Peterson is the best coach in the PAC.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 11, 2019 7:59 a.m.

I can't believe everyone lost sleep (literally) over this. He was always going out of state.

• gchris Rock Springs, WY
    Feb. 11, 2019 6:28 a.m.

I'm reading this article about a high school student who has a press conference to announce what college he will attend. His gifts which give him this notoriety and fame and a four year(probably five) grant-in-aid ( no rational person would call it a scholarship) are that he can run fast and catch a football. I am waiting for the breathless announcement from the media that some kid with a 4.0 in high school got a full-ride to Yale to study math and physics and that several other schools had competed for his talents. I like college athletics as well as almost anyone but moments like this really emphasize how really tilted our values are.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Feb. 11, 2019 5:42 a.m.

Opinion, mine is just that, an opinion so take it for what it’s worth Puka. You had a chance to play at home with your family support nearby and with your brother. You’ll never have that chance again in your life. Your youth makes your decision that much more understandable, but as you get older you may regret what could have been.

Best wishes and hopefully as you mature you’ll realize the importance of family and will see things a little differently.

Just an opinion is all this is. Best wishes.

• Million Riverton, UT
    Feb. 11, 2019 5:30 a.m.

The best to Puka Nacua no matter where he goes. His decision to make. I know a lot of other teams and their fans wanted him.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Feb. 11, 2019 12:45 a.m.

He should have just tweeted from a starbucks rather than all this hooplah - that's the most appropriate thing to do for Washington.

That is the opportunity that makes the mosts sense for him - I think he choose correctly.

• Mearhart1973 Dallas, OR
    Feb. 11, 2019 12:23 a.m.

Glad that he decided to stay in the PAC12 but seriously Washington??? Being a Duck fan I think he should wear green an yellow (or whatever color we have that week)