Time to wave goodbye to Utah's flag? Competing proposals heading up the mast

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• DFJ Logan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2019 10:23 p.m.

This design makes Utah look like one of the Soviet Block countries with the RED star. What an embarrassment! Save your time and preserve our dignity - Keep the old flag. It has history.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 7, 2019 5:52 p.m.

Lawmakers.....Leave Tradition Alone!

Just to name a few....

*Majestic Blue Spruce as our State tree...
    -Gone....
    -Replaced with the Trash Tree, Aspen.

*Coalville Tabernacle...
    -Gone...
    -Replaced with a Park.

*Philo Farnsworth...
    -One of Utah's 2 statues in Statuary Hall, Inventor of Electronic Television, from which modern --technology flowed...
    -Gone..
    -Replaced by a Non-Native Utahan. Political Correctness Rules.

Once you open this up, you can bet that every special interest group will want representation. Don't believe me?

Look at all the streets in Salt Lake City named after people who never stepped foot in this State.
    Rainbows and = signs a must.
    And the way things are going, a Marijuana leaf to boot.

As for the Beehive, associated with you know what, well, you can just forget that right now. Even Jon Huntsman junior ran away from the Beehive, regarding the Utah Quarter.

This reminds me of the wannabee music composers who come in to a School or Mission and write a new song, throw out the old, totally disregarding decades of tradition.

Stop "Fiddling on the Roof", People, and remember.....Tradtion! Tradition! Tradition!

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 7, 2019 8:20 a.m.

Give me a sheet of paper, some crayons, and ten minutes, and I could come up with a better flag than that.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 6, 2019 1:59 p.m.

The proposal looks reminiscent of the Confederate Battle Flag.

• AttilaTheHun Nephi, UT
    Feb. 6, 2019 9:42 a.m.

Uhhhh looks OK but please lose the prominent single red star. Looks far too close to all the subjugated countries of the Warsaw Pact during the Cold War-- all had mandatory red stars on them celebrating the USSR's rule over them. I certainly know that isn't what's intended here, but a big red Star just stands out. And not in a good way.

• Skinny Skip from Ojai Ventura, CA
    Feb. 5, 2019 7:03 p.m.

I like the idea that Utah should update their flag design. The proposed design is a good start. The current flag is not iconic. The California flag is iconic enough that the design is constantly used over and over in clothing and in other ways. The main symbol on the California flag is the grizzly bear. The grizzly bear has been extinct in California for about 115 years. i would love to see it reintroduced to the wilds here. I'd start with a release of say 20 or 30 bears in one of their native habitats-Sacramento. Preferably, the capital building.

• Expo West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 6:52 p.m.

@MTerry, @2 bits - Me too. The first thing I thought when I saw the proposed design was that "this looks like the Confederate flag!"

• BR3T Ogden, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 4:21 p.m.

I like the new design. I'm just not crazy about the colors (red, white, and blue) since they are overused with many other states. May I suggest something? I like the idea of having different colors such as one triangle on the right side in green (forest, etc.), tan for sand on the bottom triangle (for Arches, etc.), blue for our lakes on the left side, something that we can connect with Utah's nature. You can pick a different color for the top part.

• Ben H Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 4:09 p.m.

There isn't much wrong with the flag now. It is simply the state seal on a blue background. Utah is one of a dozen states that do this. It is not unique, it does not stand out from the other states. I think that many Utahans are OK with this. However, I think that most Americans believe that, for good or bad, Utah stands out from the rest of the country and is unique from all other states. Therefore, why have such a bland flag for such a unique state?

• mallow Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 3:18 p.m.

why do we spend time and money reinventing the wheel? This wheel may not be as cool as your design, but our flag has served us well, and legislative time and the money of changing out all those flags will benefit you and at what real purpose for anyone else?

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 3:09 p.m.

Don’t waste any more time and money on a change. Stay with the original.

• Hinchy , UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 3:04 p.m.

2bits and anyone else wondering -

The website is stating it very clearly. It's like everyone is trying to figure out what the flag means through the article itself instead of actually exploring the website. I don't know why more people aren't checking that out. According to the site:

"The proposed design tells the story of Utah and its history through seven symbolic details. The Beehive represents Utah as the “Beehive State” and the state’s motto of “Industry.” The largest element of the design, it makes the flag instantly identifiable as belonging to Utah. The red star represents Utah’s statehood in 1896. The “1847” exhibits Utah’s pioneer heritage, and the origins of its founding. The crossroad design symbolizes Utah’s place as “The Crossroads of the West” with the joining of the Transcontinental Railroad at Promontory Point.

The red in the lower quadrant of the flag represents the red rocks of Southern Utah. The white in the upper quadrant of the flag represents the snow capped mountains of Utah. Finally, the blue found in the crossroads design represents tradition and the Great Salt Lake."

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 2:52 p.m.

RE: "The symbols should speak for themselves," Martin said...
    ---
    So... what does the red star mean?

It wasn't obvious to me. I read the article several times and didn't figure out what it means. Anybody... what does the red star mean? Or is that up to our interpretation?

The only symbol I could interpret was the beehive.

2 Blue panels and only one Red... you can tell the bill sponsor is a BYU fan.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 2:57 p.m.

"'When's the last time you saw anybody waving the Utah flag in their front yard,' Jonathan Martin mused."

Well Jonathan, I question just when was the last time you saw the US flag flying in a front yard (not on a holiday and posted there by some scout group).

It is pretty sad state of affairs; but unfortunately it is "against the law" in many cities and towns in this State to fly any flag in your front yard. Even Home Owners Associations have jumped on the bandwagon and often disallow the flag to be displayed at all.

So, it is quite rare to find anyone who wishes to go against city hall; and actually have the audacity to fly so much as the US flag; let alone the Utah State flag. Businesses fly both plenty often though.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 2:48 p.m.

@Stephendvd - "I have gone to those states and seen awesome paraphernalia made up of their flag..."

Given the comments on some articles a couple years ago or so I would expect there would be people in this state that would suffer a massive coronary if they saw say any state flag on paraphernalia.

A while back someone sued the State of Utah for having the words "In God We Trust" printed underneath a drawing of the US flag on license plates. It wasn't the religious reference that they were upset about; but something about an arcane rule book regarding the flag (I think military protocol); in which it is supposedly "illegal" to put words on the flag... by that same rule book it is "illegal" to put the picture of a flag on the license plate at all; or even to use any sort of its symbolism on any sort of merchandise.

I don't agree with that rule book (again I believe it comes from some military thing--not actual statutes); but there were so many comments on that law suite that suggests; most people in Utah wouldn't want their state flag to be used on merchandise at all.

• itswhatithink West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 2:47 p.m.

Why??

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 2:28 p.m.

Please no changes

• Hinchy , UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 2:06 p.m.

Commenting again for two reasons:

First, I can't get the design out of my head. It's really cool, especially when you learn what it symbolizes (it's on the website, people), and I've been showing it to my co-workers all this morning, and I haven't heard a single person (about a dozen) say they didn't like it or disagree it's not an upgrade on the current design. In particular when you show them what it stands for. Some even said "I'd buy that flag."

Second, I'm really confused by some of the other comments left here by some of my fellow commentators. Is nobody else reading the whole article where it says they had many other designs, or explored the website to see literally hundreds of said designs, including variations on this one? They've literally showcased many ideas, including several that have beaten many of these commentators to the punch with visual references of what the design looks like with many of the recommended variations.

Finally, I honestly have no idea what Utah's current flag means outside the beehive and the dates. Sure, this proposed design can do without having any date altogether, but there's a state holiday for 1847 for crying out loud, not 1896!

• Coval Spring City/USA, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 1:09 p.m.

The current flag has dignity and speaks volumes about the state's history and values. I think it's presumptuous for anyone to ascribe so many negatives to it and then push forward a new design of questionable beauty and meaning.

• sockpuppet Provo, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 12:43 p.m.

The current flag is ugly. While the new designer hesitated to use that word, I have no hesitation.

I love Utah more than most Texans love Texas. But that flag is an eyesore when I fly it, and my state deserves better.

The history and symbols of the current design are a great story, but a better story would be having a symbol that is instantly synonymous with Utah, much like the California Bear.

I am all for this change. If there is a petition, I will sign it

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 12:24 p.m.

@Stephendvd
    I'm not as thrilled as you are about making clothes and stuff out of our flag. I draw the line at underwear. No making boxers or briefs out of our flag.

===

First1,
    I agree. I thought "Texas knockoff" when I saw the new flag.

===

I do want it to be something our kids can draw. The current flag is impossible to draw for kids.

===

If we want to be modern and minimalist... maybe a solid blue banner with a bee hive on it?

===

I just hope it doesn't become like the Utah Jazz flag. Where you have to buy a new one with the new design every 2-3 years when the new design comes out.

What do we do with all the old flags? Can you still use them?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 12:05 p.m.

RE: "The current state flag, which has remained essentially unchanged for the past 100 or so years"...
    ---
    I don't know what's inherently wrong with our flag not changing in the past 100 years. I don't see that as a problem.

===

Re: "Has too many symbols"...
    ---
    How many is "too many"? Just gives us more to teach our kids

===

RE: "Overall poor design and no longer carries meaning for the average Utahn"...
    ---
    It only carries no meaning if we no longer teaching people what it means.

===

I agree with MTerry. The big X reminded me of the big X on the Confederate Flag. Don't know if that bothered anybody else.

===

IMO putting 1847 so prominently instead of 1896 was a mistake. It would confuse people outside Utah, who don't know Utah's history. I would stick with 1896 like on the current flag (the year Utah became the 45th State). Not the year pioneers entered the valley.

That's an important part of our history too, but if you are going to put a date on our flag, it should be the Date we entered the Union.

===

If we replace the flag... know how many scouts and other groups will need to buy a new flag? This guy doesn't work for Colonial Flag, does he?

• hbeckett Colfax, CA
    Feb. 5, 2019 11:51 a.m.

change is not necessarily good for everything

• MTerry SANDY, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 10:12 a.m.

Indeed there is a need for a simpler more graphically pleasing Utah flag. The Martin's design does achieve that, but my immediate thought when I saw it was how the "X" in the background reminded me of the Southern Cross of the Confederate flag, although that flag does included stars within the "X" bars. Maybe another configuration like two or three horizontal red, white and blue panels or just a plain dark background with the beehive in white or black, depending on the value of the background, would suffice. I also believe that some alternate designs should be considered.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 9:21 a.m.

No change needed. If you need to be brought up to speed about the symbolism of our flag, read Utah History.

I like it just fine.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 8:50 a.m.

yeah, let's drop our history and the sacrifices of those who settled the area since too many of us don't know, don't care, or disdain it

• GreenLightReader Midway, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 8:24 a.m.

I don't particularly like it. The beehive needs some contrasting color behind it. I'd prefer to see options.

• Poqui Murray, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 7:32 a.m.

I like the design but the colors need to have some type of meaning for Utah. We need to incorporate orange (for red rock country), white (for our famous snow), green (for our forested mountains), or blue (for the Great Salt Lake). Any combination of these colors would be alright on this design.

• dogbreath Francis, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 6:57 a.m.

Brilliant idea! I've always liked flags and Utahs has always looked like a used bedsheet. I haven't ever purchased a Utah flag because it has no character to it. I like Texas flag but I have to make sure it isn't the flag from Chile. The problem with Mr. Handy is that he is a politician who has to have a commission to 'get the job done' but a lot of the commissions are worthless efforts at trying to get anything done. An up or down vote will work just fine.

• mountainlover1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 1:02 a.m.

I have been thinking about a new state flag for years now and it's great to see that someone is finally getting to making one! The flag we have currently is a good flag but compared to other states it doesn't stand out. This new one is really crisp and clean. The message is clear and it's beautiful! I really hope that this picks up and potentially becomes the new state flag!

• Zissou Highland, UT
    Feb. 5, 2019 12:13 a.m.

I have never been a fan of the current Utah state flag. It is far too busy and uninspiring.

This state needs a new flag and I really love this design the Martin’s have proposed.

It’s something kids growing up in Utah can actually remember and draw themselves. I remember being in elemtry school in Provo and being tasked with drawing the Utah state flag. I had to carefully examine the flag as I drew it because I could never remember what was actually on it. The finished image looked terrblie, I was embarrassed, and I have never attempted to draw it again all these years later.

I feel this new design would really help generate more state pride for Utah individuals (which is a good thing).

• RTeasdale , UT
    Feb. 4, 2019 11:40 p.m.

I think this design is fantastic and far more pleasing than what we currently have.

If given an opportunity, I’d vote for this.

• Jonna Culver City, CA
    Feb. 4, 2019 11:40 p.m.

Having lived in Utah and moving to CA I have a frame of reference on this. Never noticed the Utah Flag or understood it and frankly neither did the rest of America. CA flag is very obvious for what the state represents and this new proposed flag does exactly what a flag should do! Tell a simple state story, be a recognizable symbol, be bold and be proud. I can’t believe a citizen just randomly decided to do this (and I imagine funded it personally). That’s a family that loves their state and is proud of their heritage - kudos Martin family! This is an outstanding design - I’d say save the state some money trying to get a million other designs and go with this - don’t think there is anything better out there! #beehivestatelove

• utahute69 Laguna Niguel, CA
    Feb. 4, 2019 11:37 p.m.

So this guy and his son have this idea about improving the state flag, they came up with a design and now the rest of the state is expected to endorse the idea with no competing designs. Apparently, the state's schools are not teaching Utah History anymore. Yes the flag is full of symbolism and it still represents the spirit of Utah's people. Handy is a rational man and his plan makes sense.

• LisaC64 Middletown, RI
    Feb. 4, 2019 11:34 p.m.

The design is really nice and simple! I didn't remember what the current flag looked like until I had to look it up and this one I think will be easier to remember... something that the kids at school could actually draw!

• Cougalum St. George, UT
    Feb. 4, 2019 11:27 p.m.

I am not sure who I am more frustrated with, the flag designer, the person who thought this was newsworthy, the legislator who is seriously considering this proposal, or myself for reading the whole article and taking the time to comment. Shame on us all. If we must change the flag let’s just go for a simple blue with a stretched Y in the middle. No— let’s just leave the flag as it is and spend time addressing actions that just might improve the State. This does point out the stupidity of tracking the number of bills that each legislator sponsors/passes. The practice leads to worthless measures like this where legislators agree to run bills just to increase their numbers for election time. The quality of service is more important than the quantity of the bills run. Our elected legislators should take this to heart.

• bob99 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 4, 2019 11:05 p.m.

This new flag design is more vibrant and respresents Utah in a much better light, It also is more memorable and will stand out.

• Ycntibu Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 4, 2019 10:53 p.m.

I really like the crisp, clean design that the Martins have put forward. It maintains the central beehive icon while streamlining all the excess. Nice job gentlemen, I would be proud to fly this one

• First1 Logan, UT
    Feb. 4, 2019 10:52 p.m.

NO TEXAS LOOKS LIKE PLEASE! Change in this case is a bad idea! Any true Utahn knows that our current State Flag represents the core beliefs that we live by. Our deep history that the sacrifice of countless early and modern pioneers made. Our Nation, our liberties and the strength of our Faith.

• teddybarrett Provo, UT
    Feb. 4, 2019 10:40 p.m.

This new design is absolutely perfect. It fits modern Utah’s style as a viable growing economy in business, technology, and the arts. At the same time, it clearly harkens back to the state’s rich history as the early territory of “Deseret” in a way that I think is fresh, beautiful, and much more powerful than the current flag (which looks like it belongs on the front of a 1970s filing cabinet). I also prefer the year listed on this flag over the year Utah became a state—Utahns are much more connected to the year 1847 as the year Salt Lake was discovered and settled.

• Hinchy , UT
    Feb. 4, 2019 9:18 p.m.

Refreshingly great! I honestly don't know why Rep. Handy thinks this wouldn't be accepted by the public as it is. It already looks great and is a massive improvement on the original! Why doesn't he just join forces with this group and work with them to make this proposed flag official? I also went ahead and checked out the website, and the symbols behind the flag make sense and really tell a neat story about Utah. They had some other, more simple designs on there as well, but this one to me is the best one. I honestly don’t see how you can make it better. I’d vote for it.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Feb. 4, 2019 8:11 p.m.

I am pleased the legislature is spending its time on stuff like this. They do much less damage when they mess with silly things like this. Hopefully, they will revisit the decision they made a decade ago on the state vegetable.

They obviously do not have the strength of character to take up cell phone use while driving; that would lose them a bunch of lobbyists' dollars. Perhaps it will take a revelation (if you get what I mean) to get them to move on that, air quality issues, or anything else of substance.

• Stephendvd Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 4, 2019 7:21 p.m.

Finally! I have been thinking we need a new flag for years! I am so happy this is getting some traction! I like the design but I think it needs to be even more simple. Think Arizona or Texas. I have gone to those states and seen awesome paraphernalia made up of their flag (a cool leather jacket, etc) and wished we had a state flag we loved and would put all over stuff. Thanks so much to those who are moving this forward!