Robocallers made 26.3 billion phone calls to Americans last year, study shows; here’s what’s being done to stop spam calls

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 9:41 a.m.

I have taken to never answering any call that my address book doesnt recogonize.
    If it is legit and someone needs to get a hold of me then they will leave a message and I can call them back. This is almost never the case. 8 months ago I was getting 10 of these per day. Since I have started not answering it has taken some time but has gone way down. Probably down to 5 per week.

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 9:02 a.m.

Problem with the Do Not Call List is that only ethical companies respect it. Scammers, by definition, are not ethical.

I work for a company that makes outbound calls to people on behalf of their employers' HR departments. Unfortunately, our outbound number looks unfamiliar on Caller ID, so we get a lot of No Answers, voicemail, and pickup-hangups. People miss out on their employee benefits sometimes because of this problem.

• hoch ,
    Jan. 31, 2019 6:33 a.m.

@imsmarterthanyou - “ I remember the days when my phone was attached to my house. If I was not home, no one could call me. Those were better days. The invention of the cell phone changed the world and not for the better.”

Even with the spam calls, smartphones/cell phones have been a valuable tool for me. All depends how you use it. Are you its master or vice versa?

By the way, landlines are still available if you want to go back to that. Have fun. :)

• one old man MSC, UT
    Jan. 30, 2019 9:38 p.m.

I've received several spam TEXT messages lately. Is that a new trend?

However, I have had some fun trying to spam them back.

I click to speak with one of their representatives and then speak gibberish or maybe try to confuse them.

One example: A call came from someone offering a funeral plan. I pushed 1 to talk to a representative. He answered and asked if I'd be interested in a pre-paid funeral plan.

I replied with my best fake Italian accent: "Ah yes. I needa a funeral plan. I'ma planning to die next Thursday. So I gotta have a plan."

He, somewhat confused, "What?"

I repeated my first message.

He, "Is this a joke?"

Me, "No. I'ma planning to die Thursday. Gonna need a big funeral. How much it cost?"

CLICK

Or I get a call from a strange area code and answer with: "Utah Attorney General's Office. Fraud division. How may I direct your call?"

CLICK

Kinda fun . . . . y'might try it. . . .

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 30, 2019 7:53 p.m.

I get at least 1 call every day. I block every one but the just keep coming. I remember the days when my phone was attached to my house. If I was not home, no one could call me. Those were better days. The invention of the cell phone changed the world and not for the better.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Jan. 30, 2019 5:21 p.m.

You say 2018 was a record year for robocalls? Well, it was an election year.

Seriously, the politicians think THEIR robocalls and the survey callers are OK. Hypocrites!

Note that the suggestions in the article are totally ineffective. You can be on the do not call list, but the callers don't care. And blocking numbers doesn't work because they spoof with local numbers.

So, you have a $500 paperweight in your pocket.

You'd think the technology exists to determine the ACTUAL source of calls, even with spoofing. After all, who should be able to control Caller ID? The caller should be able to block his ID, but not create a fake number.

In short, government fails us again.

• hoch ,
    Jan. 30, 2019 4:44 p.m.

I also have received 5-20 calls per DAY. Using Hiya has been almost useless. I just simply block the number on my iphone. I wish there was a feature you can activate a button to simply decline the call without forwarding to voicemail and automatically blocking that number.

• SAS Sandy, UT
    Jan. 30, 2019 2:37 p.m.

And this is what happens when we have an FCC determined to keep out of the way of business.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 30, 2019 2:02 p.m.

I answer my landline less than one time per month now.

• HJRees Smithfield, UT
    Jan. 30, 2019 1:47 p.m.

They are now making calls from your own number.

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    Jan. 30, 2019 1:34 p.m.

I've been on the do not call registry for years and check it occasionally to make sure I'm still on it - yep, still there, but it is absolutely worthless. I get upwards of 5 spam calls/day. I have hundreds of numbers blocked that can't call me back - only about a billion more to go before I quit getting bugged by spam calls.

• water rocket , 00
    Jan. 30, 2019 1:10 p.m.

I think I got two million of those calls. I have gone on the "Do Not Call" registry twice. I have always responded by opting out on their calls. I get calls from Google, rebates, hotels, insurance and credit cards among others. In the case of Google, their caller said they had many call centers doing the exact same thing as they were doing. I don't even dare to go an line to use a search engine for services in my area because I will end up getting dozens of calls soliciting my business. Something really does need to be done!

At one time I asked the phone company how they could "sell" my number to businesses, and they said they owned my number. If I am "renting" my number, shouldn't it be the same as renting a house, and therefore not available to "rent" to anyone else?