Utah lawmaker driving licenses from wallets to cellphones

• Captain Green Heber City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2019 9:42 p.m.

And while they're at it making practical laws... how about repealing the stupid requirement to have a front license plate!

• QuantumCertainty Sandy, UT
    Feb. 1, 2019 2:14 p.m.

I would pentest the crap out of the digital ID app if it was on my phone. It would be a huge target for new malware, and especially if it allowed offline storage of the credential.

Secure elements can only take you so far to protect your data.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    Feb. 1, 2019 1:28 a.m.

Gee another way to steal my identity. NO thank you.

• niedest , 00
    Jan. 31, 2019 10:13 p.m.

I think I will pass on that, and keep my plastic one thank you, But it should be optional. Those that want it, great, Those that dont, also great. To me it opens a whole can of worms, they cant protect your information, no matter what they do or say.

• All American Herriman, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 3:00 p.m.

@DNdep

There is every reason for all of us to be paranoid about our personal info. Nothing is safe if it goes over the internet - nothing. Hackers are stealing personal info from everywhere. My husband is in IT and he says it's war - and the hackers are winning!

No thanks. I'll keep mine plastic and in my wallet.

• AzPete Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 31, 2019 12:38 p.m.

Maybe we could update the picture on our drivers license with a selfie?

• DNdep West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 12:00 p.m.

Amazing the paranoia evident in the comments. As for the question, I'm OK with DL's being digital AND hard copy. Probably the way it should be.

• beenwatching Layton, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 10:42 a.m.

I know longer believe that anything digital on your devices or in the "cloud" or whatever is safe and secure. I know that my wallet can be stolen, but I don't have to worry at night that it is being hacked. Nor do I want to be driving illegally if I happen to forget my smart phone. Digital D.L. Ok as an option, but people should never be required to have a smart phone so they can drive or show ID.

• girlofthesea Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 9:22 a.m.

I don't have a cellphone. I don't want a cellphone. EVER!

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 9:17 a.m.

No please. I don't have a smartphone and have no intention of ever getting one. Besides that I can think of probably a dozen reasons this is a bad idea.

• The Educator South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 9:13 a.m.

@ lost in DC

If the repub legislature is supportive of it, I will put my initial support off to the side and ask, "Just who's going to profit from this?" We all know the legislature is filled with software developers who love to use our tax dollars to their benefit.

What's wrong with the old system?

If the ACLU is opposed to it, it's probably for some good fact driven reason. As opposed to the republican legislature, who often use spin and alt facts to ramrod their ideas down our throats.

Get Educated

• bill4570 ,
    Jan. 31, 2019 9:00 a.m.

Okay by me as long as there is an option on this program. I don't have nor do I want a "smart phone". And I am sure not going to get one just for a driver's license app.

But, on the other hand, if the guy sponsoring this bill will buy me a smart phone, then I might use it for just the driver's license.

• Western Rover Herriman, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 8:47 a.m.

The only reason concert tickets, airline tickets and transit passes can be digital is because the only people accepting them are in a position to electronically verify them. You don't show your airline ticket to the bouncer at your local club to get in, or your concert ticket to the waitress at a restaurant to order wine. Driver licenses are another matter since they're used for so many purposes other than driving.

The police will easily be able to electronically verify a digital driver license, as well as stores, restaurants and clubs that are part of a large corporation. But what about a mom-and-pop store, restaurant or club? All they can do is look at the image on the phone and decide whether the image looks realistic. That will be very easy to fake.

• zgomer Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 8:47 a.m.

How about stay out of our business, some people believe it or not don't own an iPhone.

• BobUtah Draper, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 8:30 a.m.

Ok, let's say you are stopped by the police and they want to see your Driver's license. Would you then allow them to take your unlocked phone back to their vehicle to run your number?

I don't see this as a solution to anything other than abuse.

• rfrmac South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 8:25 a.m.

I like the idea. It is forward looking and could be really useful. Having TSA accept it would be a big help.

• out4trout West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 8:21 a.m.

In the state of Utah we have enough issues dealing with air pollution, affordable housing, medicare for all, marijuana, school finance, school safety, public lands, etc.

Please members of the legislature deal with those important issues. Solve some of the problems, don't create potentially new ones. Electronic driver's licenses are at the bottom of the list.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Jan. 31, 2019 8:05 a.m.

In 2017, and my wife in 2018, renewed our licenses. These are high tech cards reminiscent of U.S. currency. Recently for a job had to produce my 61 year old birth certificate -- a notarized (embossed) otherwise non-descript photocopy. Yes, both, along with passports, money, company ids and such can be forged -- but with some effort. Things electronic can be much more easily, fraudulently reproduced and hacked (even with encryption) -- on a massive scale.

This law, which I hope never sees light in Colorado, is a foolish idea.

Driver's licenses and the documents I've mentioned above are far more important and in a different classification than one's shopper's cards, library cards, insurance cards and even credit cards (which I prefer the chipped physical items rather than Apple Pay/such which I don't use/trust).

• pt1 ,
    Jan. 31, 2019 7:43 a.m.

I wouldn't like the only option to be digital.

• quackquack Park City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 7:41 a.m.

Nope, whats the story of keeping all your egg in one basket. The only way Id vote for something like this is if its an addition to the hard copy.

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 7:36 a.m.

Personally, I have never dropped my wallet on a hard floor and had the screen shatter.

• aghast SYRACUSE, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 7:34 a.m.

The State of Utah does not have the IT infrastructure to support such a thing. We are 20 years backwards.

• hoch ,
    Jan. 31, 2019 6:37 a.m.

Yes, please. One less thing out of my wallet, less plastic used,
    and makes it more secure if I lose it.

• FanOf"ChuckARama" Vernal, UT
    Jan. 31, 2019 3:28 a.m.

I would be uncomfortable with black hat hackers out there on the prowl.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 30, 2019 3:03 p.m.

getting TSA on board is the big issue

if the ACLU is opposed to it, I will put my initial apprehension aside and take a more favorable look at it.