Parents speak out after 10-year-old dies by suicide

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Enough is enough! Saint George, UT
    Jan. 25, 2019 1:01 p.m.

From my recent conversation with a Kentucky teacher: After he related about the verbal abuse and lack of manners and initiative his students extend toward the teachers and the school, I asked, "Where are the parents?"

The response? Most of the dads are absent or unknown, the mothers are too busy having illegitimate babies or strung out on drugs, or working three jobs and the grandmothers just can't handle it all. Many are latch-key kids. Many of the parents and grandparents in certain areas are multi-generational welfare recipients, academically deficient, and morally corrupt.

I'm not excusing the deplorable behavior of the bullies, just sharing some insights that many of us have no concept of.

• Sion Knoxville, TN
    Jan. 25, 2019 4:26 a.m.

It’s just not in the classroom, look around you folks. It’s in the workforce, it’s at church, it’s in the newspaper. People more interested in not helping others, just selfish personal interests.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Jan. 24, 2019 3:30 p.m.

@UtahBlueDevil:

Who is defending the classmates?

Consistency demands one cannot come on here and condemn 10 year olds for not being super-kind to everybody with differences and then in another story be horrified that 16 year olds might be tried as an adult because they are "too young and their brains are too immature to fully understand the consequences of their actions."

The same reason 10 year olds don't tend to care about many things, they also tend not to know that certain things ought not be said, like the odor of a colostomy bag.

I have a special needs child. He spends too much time sad because he isn't like others and doesn't always get treated like others. I don't think his classmates are terrible people who want to see him hurt. Some have challenges of their own that cause them to act less than Christlike. Some are just ignorant or impatient; and my kid requires more than the usual patience. He isn't perfect. A couple might be bullies. Some are very kind and loving. They are all children.

It is a rare person who can honestly say there was never a time in his life when he wasn't less kind than he should have been. Most of us are lucky enough it didn't end like this.

• Not-in-Utah-anymore , CA
    Jan. 24, 2019 9:54 a.m.

samhill - Salt Lake City, UT said:
    "I wish so much I could have put an arm of support around this poor boy..."

The problem is that he's gone and no one can ever do that for him. Perhaps we should all be mindful of the children and teenagers around us - the kids at church and in our own neighborhoods, the quiet ones as well as the rowdy ones. It probably doesn't even have to be an arm around a shoulder, but encouraging words and smiles, noticing their talents or something they may have done, and then letting them know. And why stop at the kids? Their parents could probably use some support, too. Henry James said “Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.”

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2019 9:42 p.m.

Stories like this are so flattening and infuriating!

Rather than contributing to his funeral fund, I wish so much I could have put an arm of support around this poor boy that might have helped him find more hope of surmounting the cruelty of his tormentors. At only 10 the loss of the few friends he had while also suffering from the abuse of his enemies must have felt like an immeasurably heavy burden.

I hope the contribution will at least provide a tiny measure of relief to his parent's unimaginable sorrow.

There are so many people who suffer needlessly, it can be overwhelming.

• Holy-Schamoly-What Baloney Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 23, 2019 9:17 p.m.

It's amazing the amount and type of bullying that goes on in elementary schools and junior high schools. Parents literally have no clue about their little darling's behavior. And when they find out, and take some course of action, the smart aleck kids increase the taunting the next day at school, proving that their parents skills in teaching them to act better are subservient to peer pressure of friends that enjoy bullying. I've witnessed it my own family and my own life. Fortunately my brother and I were resilient enough to get through without problems. But I still remember some things that were said to me in 5th grade...and that was in 1958.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Jan. 23, 2019 8:17 p.m.

I surprised there are those who are defending the kids who bullied this poor kid. It's unimaginable to me that these kids had no idea that their comments and actions were hurtful and harmful to this little dude that was just trying to survive.

And I am tired of the Schools being the sole scape goat for these actions. These kids who did this to this young man have parents and homes. They learn there what is acceptable ways to treat others. Yes, the school owns the environment they create for learning, but the parents own what kind of kid they send to that school every day. It's time for the parents of these kids to own up to the lack of teaching they provided their kids.

No 10 year old should take their life because those around him have made their lives so miserable they see no other way out. No kid should endure this.... parents need to do better...

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Jan. 23, 2019 6:22 p.m.

Beyond heartbreaking.

A 10 year old dealing with a colostomy bag has more than enough challenges to face without anyone piling on.

And yet, I suspect many of his peers simply had no concept of how their behavior was affecting him, how painful and even cruel it really was. Children can be the most innocent and without guile among us, not caring about things about others that may make adults uncomfortable. Simultaneously, that innocence, the lack of knowledge and experience, can leave them ignorant of the ramifications of their own conduct.

This is the very reason we have a juvinille court system that allows many childhood crimes to be kept off the permanent record of adulthood.

My prayers to Seven's family and other loved ones, and to those who will someday come to realize how their conduct contributed to this tragic suicide.

• JSB , 00
    Jan. 23, 2019 5:59 p.m.

The people who bullied him or ignored the bullying will carry that memory for the rest of their lives. What a nightmare.

• Spoons lake tahoe, NV
    Jan. 23, 2019 5:27 p.m.

That’s about as depressing as it gets. The kid had no chance at a “normal” life and his peers constantly reminded him of it.

• doctorguber salt lake, UT
    Jan. 23, 2019 5:25 p.m.

This crushes my heart. 10 years old, significant medical problem he couldn’t help, yet felt he had to do this.

• news.john2 Orem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2019 4:23 p.m.

Having read way to many of these kinds of stories; when it comes to bullying, I think most districts have an unwritten policy of document nothing, deny everything. One district I dealt with, if I emailed them about problems they would never reply electronically, they would call, I believe with the hopes that there would be no legal record of it. So I would suspect that Seven's parents will see nothing of any meaning done by that school district. In my opinion, it will not be until districts are liable that they will take truly meaningful measures to document and remedy this problem. However, I believe bullying is really a symptom on the part of the perpetrator of problems at home; but districts should still be accountable if they let that kind of behavior continue in their schools. imo

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Jan. 23, 2019 4:12 p.m.

Tragic. Very tragic.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Jan. 23, 2019 3:54 p.m.

So sad, I hate to think how I would react to people bullying my child especially for a medical condition.