'It was grueling': Juror recounts weighing sexual assault charges for ex-USU football star Torrey Green

'A woman is not required to fight, kick, pinch — whatever — to stop her abuser,' the juror said

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• SLCMom Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2019 1:16 p.m.

@AZ Blue & Red - Sadly, you missed the message. The statement says "OFTEN SEEN AS a way to meet others for casual sex." ... or in other words, MISCONSTRUED as or PERCEIVED as. The comment was celebrating the progress we have made as a society - that in the past jurors would have simply lept to conclusions based on the perceived opinion of Tinder rather than the fact that plenty of people use this as another tool to simply meeting and dating others, and choose to blame the victims. Your further comments are exactly what the #MeToo movement has been trying to combat. The culture of blaming and shaming victims of sexual assault for any reason is now accepted as antiquated, destructive and completely inappropriate. We have now entered a new era which realizes victim-blaming culture perpetually keeps victims from coming forward because they have been taught that all victims carry the blame - thus perpetuating the rape culture.

Case in point, If one brave woman had not rejected the self-blame culture and gone immediately to the police afterward, this case would have been lacking critical evidence to convict this perpetrator and provide justice to multiple victims, and preventing more.

• SLCMom Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2019 12:40 p.m.

This article gives me hope in our judicial system and faith in ordinary American citizens to come together and put heart and soul into working for a justified verdict. I am grateful for this jury to have provided the victims the justice they deserve. I also believe we should acknowledge that this verdict is providing a gift for the accused. This is an opportunity for a young man to be held accountable for his choices, and to stop him from traveling even farther down his current destructive path. This is a chance for him to realize that he can be better, face his demons whatever they are, and work on atoning and reforming so that he can walk a new direction for the rest of his life.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 22, 2019 12:19 p.m.

From the article. "Four of the women first met Green through the app Tinder, often seen as a way to meet others for casual sex."

I agree with the Jury's conclusion and think he is guilty for his behavior BUT if the Tinder App is the way to meet others for causal sex then it also sounds like these women were also looking for this activity. Not forced mind you or against their will but it sounds like that they were putting themselves out there so to speak.

If you do not want to fall off a cliff I would suggest you do not get anywhere close.

• bill4570 ,
    Jan. 20, 2019 10:25 a.m.

Sad event for all involved. Never should have happened to begin with. I hope the victims can find peace, eventually,.

I wonder if his tears are from actual remorse for what he did, or for the many opportunities that have gone away like a flash before his eyes. I really hope he feels remorse for the women who's lives he had changed, but perhaps not. He appeared quite certain that he was going to be walking away from court a free man at one time.

• kolob1 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 20, 2019 9:40 a.m.

I followed the trial and I had the nonevidential feeling that Green was trying to get away with the events. The telephone call was very illuminating. There was no denial just an attitude that the event should not be reported. Bothered me because I am a strict believer of innocent until proven. Green seemed to treat this affair as the women were scorned and therefore were not to believed. Glad I was not on that jury,

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    Jan. 20, 2019 7:43 a.m.

I appreciated this follow up article. The juror said they may have come to a different conclusion had one of the victims not reported quickly and had the phone call recorded by police. It's so important to have quick reporting so better evidence can be gathered. Our legal system assumes innocence and the burden of proof is on the prosecution. A fight of one person's word vs. another person's, years after a crime, isn't much proof in and of itself even if it is heart wrenching. This article strengthens my resolve to teach my young kids as they get older to reach out and report if something like this happens to them.