Both men and women face gender discrimination in jobs usually filled by opposite sex, study says

• stand up for truth Lehi, UT
    Jan. 20, 2019 8:54 p.m.

I can attest that ALL forms of discrimination hurt.

Sometimes the pendulum of fairness swings too far.

In the name of equality and "affirmative" action for minorities and women, a lot of reverse discrimination has taken place over the years.

I know as I was one of them that experienced discrimination. As a CPA I was auditing federal and state governmental entities for several years in the 1980s until, because of the laws of the land, these audits were taken from me by truly unqualified and unlicensed (with the state board of accountancy) minority CPAs (a woman and a native american) were granted the audits. It did not matter that I had a wife and children to feed too. I guess I was just another white "privileged" male so it was okay to do to me what we are saying should not be done to any.

Let jobs and justice be blind to all creeds, colors, races, genders... including white males.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 17, 2019 1:11 p.m.

I see discrimination every time I hire a new engineer. I discriminate based on who I can judge to be the best fit for the job having a STEM education, experience or an internship, grades . . .

I don't care what a scientist or engineers gender is.

The last scientist I hired is female, she started with us two weeks after graduation, she had all the right qualifications of STEM education and internship in which her manager spoke very highly of her work and her abilities. She was hired at the same salary as a male would have been. Glad she is "on board" to help us, she is doing very well in her first year.

• HalfManHalfAmazing Baltimore, MD
    Jan. 17, 2019 11:57 a.m.

In my work place, be right or wrong, a woman would not "fit-in" as would a man might (I personally don't like my work culture, but it is the culture none the less). That is a factor in a lot of work places. Some work places, culture are more welcoming to women than others. I can't say if there is a work culture that a man wouldn't "fit-in" because I haven't experienced that, but I imagine it is there.

• GreyWolf ,
    Jan. 17, 2019 10:32 a.m.

To shamrock,

It always fascinates me at how quickly people dismiss different viewpoints regarding issues like gender discrimination.

With the exception of imsmarterthanyou, most here make good points. If they seem a bit one-sided, that might be because those that use the issue for their own political gain don't take into account any of these points beyond a superficial level.

• TheJester American Fork, UT
    Jan. 17, 2019 10:12 a.m.

@GettinOld

Discrimination exists in many forms, but I do believe that due to the social pressure being put on public companies today that the gender discrimination is improving. Age discrimination is a real thing and a real problem, especially with technology companies. It isn't hard to prove. The government could simply ask companies to provide the ages of all new hires in a given year. My guess is that you would see that technology companies go out of their way to hire people under 40.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 17, 2019 9:39 a.m.

It fascinates me that every time there's an article about gender discrimination in the workplace, several conservative men show up to explain how: (1) nature meant it to be that way; or (2) as men, they've experienced invidious discrimination themselves; or (3) there really isn't any discrimination against women, it's just that they keep taking time off for having babies.

• GettinOld South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 17, 2019 8:52 a.m.

After my first interview for a real job out of college, I was told (in confidence) by a friend who worked for the company that the manager only hired women. And, despite my having the required college degree, they hired a woman with no degree or experience. I've experienced similar discrimination over the 30 years of my career. Sadly, age discrimination is even more rampant. It's nearly impossible to prove, so you learn to move on and work harder.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Jan. 17, 2019 7:49 a.m.

So both men and women suffer "discrimination" in the job market.
    The idea that things will ever be perfectly fair and equal is just a silly delusion, because employers are factoring in *real* but intangible and difficult to quantify factors in their hiring choices. For example, even between two perfectly equally qualified candidates, an employer knows that females will have a higher probability of quitting or taking a lot of time off for child care. Similarly, between two equally qualified "engineers", the man will also have the additional qualities of physical strength, which is eventually useful in almost any real-world job.
    Men and women really do have different roles in society. That is not because "men oppress women", but because real life oppresses both men and women, and so they have evolved different, but complimentary, capabilities to insure survival of the species through cooperation.
    It is a matter of facing reality rather than try to enforce a delusional view of the human species.

• Opinionated Sandy, UT
    Jan. 17, 2019 6:47 a.m.

When was the last time you saw a man reporting from the sidelines of a football game? Could it be that there are no young men, who played football that understand the intricacies of the game, that can provide valuable sideline insights? I doubt it. Fact is, TV wants a woman on the sidelines in front of their cameras. Good luck, young man, at getting that job. Plus, there is gender discrimination in sports...women can play on the men's golf tourneys but not visa versa. There are many examples like this.