Driver license division improperly shared Utahns' personal data, audit says

• AlagnakLounger Heber City, UT
    Jan. 17, 2019 11:18 a.m.

Didn't you know, John Frugal's interpretations and opinions are gospel and are final and shall not be challenged; not by any government entity, not by the Governor, not by the feckless legislature, not by citizens and certainly not by the lazy media. After all, our illustrious non-auditor-state-auditor is deity.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 16, 2019 7:53 a.m.

And no one will be punished. The division will pay no price. Just another day.

• AlExplorer American Fork, UT
    Jan. 15, 2019 6:06 p.m.

Utah is WAY behind other states in protecting identity. I moved into Utah last year and am shocked at how oblivious Utah businesses, Dr. Offices, etc are to protecting ones identity.

• Anonymous100 Anywhere, UT
    Jan. 15, 2019 4:20 p.m.

I am very surprised to learn about this. Why is the DMV sharing my personal, private information at all? There is absolutely no reason that I can think of that anyone outside of the DMV needs to know any of my personally identifiable information. This is a no brainer. Someone, maybe many, need to lose their jobs, including those who requested the information.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2019 2:23 p.m.

My concern once the information is shared with other non state entities such as private insurance companies what controls are there?
    Do they share it with other sister companies?

You would be amazed what information about us is bought, sold and traded.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2019 1:59 p.m.

I'm now wondering if, the next time I go to renew, I should just get a "driving privilege card" like the "undocumented immigrants", if that would STOP them from sharing all my info??

I use a passport for airplane travel anyway.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 15, 2019 1:00 p.m.

Do we have to have watchdogs on every transaction for every agency??

Let's see, two years ago our esteemed officials decided they couldn't do anything about a state official who was too ill to work, but they couldn't replace him while his paramour covered for him.

The list is too long to mention. Why can't people in responsible positions go the job they were elected or appointed to do and and quit trying to steel from us?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Jan. 15, 2019 12:49 p.m.

People need to go to jail. But, it's Utah, they'll probably get promoted.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2019 12:31 p.m.

Of course they did. Nothing here should surprise anyone. Just go into any DMV in Utah. They treat you as if you're an enemy combatant, or major criminal. And they always have in 45 years of my experience dealing with them. Why would they even be concerned about the safety of my personal information? As just proved, they're not.

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 15, 2019 11:54 a.m.

They also do "biometrics" when they take your picture, another highly questionable practice.