Marie Kondo's book advice in Netflix's 'Tidying Up' has upset a lot of bookworms. Here's why

• JasonMc Woods Cross, UT
    Jan. 16, 2019 5:21 p.m.

I could take her advice on the "personal books" I own, but 90% of my library is for research and illustrations for speaking/preaching engagements related to my work and they are stored in a home office. I have over 1000 books and Bible commentaries in digital form that I cross-reference weekly, but I also have a collection of over 200-300 books that are only available in printed format. Not all of them bring me joy, but they are necessary for me to rightly do the work I do with integrity. I would question any leader in my position that is not constantly reading for personal and professional growth.

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    Jan. 13, 2019 1:09 p.m.

As I near retirement, my books are my paper memory, and many of them are out of print and not available in electronic editions. Unless I have judged the book not worth the time of keeping as a reference or a future reread, they all bring me joy. At most I might give away 10% of them.

• tabuno Clearfield, UT
    Jan. 12, 2019 11:47 p.m.

It is also important to realize that Japan and limited living space makes the need for organization a vital component for almost every Japanese family unless one is quite rich and can afford the American standard of living space in Japan. Here in America the standard of living for decades has been a detached single family home. Even so that standard has been changing and the idea of a home library isn't necessarily something that most American homes, especially a large library, possess. As hobbies go or as literary tradition in a family goes, American culture may be somewhat different, especially when it comes to owning and collecting books. However, as for hoarding books, when books are not cared for, collecting dust, becoming a fire hazard, and just kept in some haphazard manner in piles like junk, then perhaps, Kondo's method would be quite valuable. Kondo's approach to organizing a home doesn't mean that everything that she writes or says must be taken as a must. If a home library or as a writer who needs a quick resource and loves the feel or real paper brings joy, than why discriminate and spend hours deciding among each individual book, if one has the room.

• Tweety Modesto, CA
    Jan. 12, 2019 6:54 p.m.

Her book is great! Too many are taking her words way out of context. Read her book. Try to understand what she writes. If your five million or so books sparks joy, keep them. If they don't, then get rid of them so that others might be able to enjoy them. This is about bringing order to our lives, and living with less than we need. That right there can bring peace to many. And as always, if this way of organizing and/or minimalistic thinking doesn't fit your lifestyle, move on and forget about it. She isn't forcing anyone to adopt her method.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    Jan. 12, 2019 4:40 p.m.

WallE, you make an interesting comparison of books to friendships. While it would be sad and foolish to put a limit on the number of friendships we have, or at least people we are friendly towards, it's an unfortunate truth that, like the limited space in our homes, we have a limited amount of time in our schedules for maintaining friendships. We can't give all the friends we've ever made equal priority or time. Same thing with our physical possessions. Some have to be "thanked for the memories" and let go. When our emotional energy starts to suffer from the stress of maintaining too much, whether it's things or people, we need to reevaluate. As to what the "magic number" is, however, I'm sure that's as different as we all are.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    Jan. 12, 2019 4:33 p.m.

I can see it from both sides. My husband has a bit of a hoarding tendency when it comes to books (especially from thrift stores)--books he will never more than glance through, and on the most random topics, like Cessna pilot manuals, neurosurgery, and the Encyclopedia of Wood (he's a mech engineer)--but he hoards because he wants the "look" of a library in the house and for the kids to have access to info on different subjects, even if the info's already fairly outdated on some subjects. It's a huge pain whenever we move, which is frequently.

Converting to ebooks would be a great way to declutter, even if I do personally prefer traditional print and paper. Or skip the hoarding and utilize the internet and your public library.

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    Jan. 12, 2019 3:58 p.m.

My kindle holds thousands(?) of books and takes up less room than a normal paperback. Seems like a fair compromise.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Jan. 12, 2019 3:49 p.m.

Just because she says that doesn't make it so. And nobody has to do what she says. I'm keeping my books.

• lnkmom Lehi, UT
    Jan. 12, 2019 3:39 p.m.

If people complaining about their love of books would take the time to actually read her books, they would understand that she believes in keeping only the items in your home that bring joy to you.

That does not imply that you can't read or check out books that challenge your ideas or bring new thoughts into your life (which oddly enough is what Marie Kondo is doing for these people!)... it just makes you think hard about why you are holding onto all the crap in your home!

• WallE Walla Walla, WA
    Jan. 12, 2019 12:11 p.m.

Wow! I feel sad for anyone that feels that keeping 30 books is "ideal". It's like putting a limit on the number of friendships to "maintain".