Doug Robinson: Merril Hoge's book challenges the popular narrative regarding football and CTE

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    Jan. 12, 2019 6:32 p.m.

Excellent article can’t wait to read the book. Clearly flawed control groups, assumptions and therefore flawed results. This is like a second opinion before a surgery. Brainwashed sounds like a book that’s questioning the prevailing opinion which in fact maybe wrong. I also played high school football and discipline, goal setting camaraderie is something to cherish for a lifetime.

• cmbennett1 Stafford, VA
    Jan. 12, 2019 11:07 a.m.

I was taught in my very first Statistics class that correlation does NOT equal causation.

• my screen name Murray, UT
    Jan. 12, 2019 10:35 a.m.

65Toss... Really?!

I'd believe him if he said the sun was hot because I can feel it myself. That's the problem with science today. People just believe the latest and loudest, throwing reason and logic out the door.

Nice article. I don't know where Doug stands on the issue, and that's the way reporting should be.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Jan. 12, 2019 9:03 a.m.

Ah. "Reporters" so open minded they refuse to read a book that doesn't fit their narrative.

So much for the flawed research that currently drives the narrative.

• chans WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 12, 2019 8:57 a.m.

I played high school football in the early 70s and loved the game. It taught me more then then school did. Things like discipline, a good work ethic and how to set goals among other things. Maybe football is what today’s young men and women need.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2019 5:39 p.m.

Football is dangerous.

So is bull riding, motocross, mountain biking, skiing, skateboarding, soccer, baseball, lacrosse, basketball, gymnastics, cheerleading, and most other sports. In almost all sports you have a chance to get hit in the head but that doesn't mean you'll have CTE.

And the most dangerous sport is driving a car. I'm always amazed by parents that won't let their kids play football because it's too dangerous but they send them off to school every day driving a car.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2019 4:17 p.m.

I've watched someone, who did not participate in any contact sports, battle and succumb to a CTE related issue. It's a complete shame that anyone would purposely put himself/herself in a position to have CTE problems when it's very avoidable. We need to be smarter than that. Playing a sport like football, where the prime objective is to pound into other people, is just plain foolish. And nothing Hoge says will change that fact. I don't care if CTE is rare in football players, sustaining trauma due to an avoidable event like football should not be acceptable.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Jan. 11, 2019 2:21 p.m.

I wouldn't believe Hoge if he told me the sun was hot.