BYU enjoys playing at home again as Yoeli Childs powers Cougars to 79-56 win over Portland

• longversion SANDY, UT
    Jan. 11, 2019 3:24 p.m.

Too bad we don't have a schedule full of sub-500 teams to beat up on...

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2019 12:07 p.m.

The win was nice but BYU still needs to work on defense. They are slow and play dumb sometimes. I agree the refs were bad but they were bad on both sides of the ball.
    The refs did not cost Portland the game or did they give it to BYU. At least they are not as bad a pac refs.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Jan. 11, 2019 12:02 p.m.

I was also one of those who also shook my head at the officiating. Early in the first half you could see the Portland coach barking at one of the referees, and the ref not even looking at the play going on. After that it seemed like every time down the floor the Cougars got a foul called on them. And what about those blocking fouls that were really charges (especially the one with the Portland player's elbow in the neck of the BYU player)? The best part was how the Cougars didn't let it get to them. I especially liked how Childs handled things. He was dealing with double and triple teams all through the game and seldom got a foul called, but he passed the ball to open guys, and still ended up as the leading scorer. I should also mention Haws, whom I have been a critic of many times. Haws was superb at running the offense and setting up plays. I will say that the bench didn't play as well as they are capable of, because they let Portland get back into the game in the second quarter.

• CowboySky Green River, WY
    Jan. 11, 2019 10:50 a.m.

Don't get too pumped up loyal Cougar fans...after all it was just Portland...a bad team. Go ahead and bask in the glory of the win...but in the larger scheme of things...not a great accomplishment.

I will be impressed if they beat San Francisco, Pepperdine, St. Mary's, and a few others...at home or on the road.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 11, 2019 9:34 a.m.

What wasn't said is that Portland's run in the 1st half came when pretty much the entire starting line up was sitting with 2 fouls. That isn't an excuse, since the reserves have to be able to step up. But it is a reason.

Speaking about the fouls, I continue to shake my head at how bad officiating is some times. At one point in the first half, Kolby Lee (I believe) was called for a foul away from the ball. It was...questionable. Then, at the other end, Lee drives to basket only to be hammered on three sides...and no call. There was just no consistency. At one point a guy is called for a foul for breathing on an opponent, at another they were letting super-hard contact go. And I really "loved" it when Cannon was called for a foul after being shoved to the floor by the man he was guarding.

The NCAA also needs to address the whole offensive foul thing. It is being called way too much, and often when defenders don't really have position.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Jan. 11, 2019 9:27 a.m.

Good job - do it again!

• RR Omaha, NE
    Jan. 11, 2019 2:18 a.m.

BYU stomps at home.
    Little bro in red gets stomped at home.
    The universe was in perfect order tonight!

• portlander Arlington, WA
    Jan. 10, 2019 11:25 p.m.

Wow. Portland. Not exactly a seismic win for the Cougs. But, I guess now is as good a time as any to get back on a winning track. Go Cougs!