BYU's Hardnett has returned to team, available to play as Cougs host Portland

• CountryCoug Parker, CO
    Jan. 11, 2019 2:02 p.m.

Glad he is still on the team and hope coach Rose will give him the playing time. He is way better than Seljass and a much better defender than Haws who seems to have gotten so selfish in recent games. I intentionally did not watch the game last night. The Harnett benching and punishment so bugged me I decided to forego the games for the time being. So inconsistent treatment of players.

• BlueHusky Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 11, 2019 7:15 a.m.

It is time for the blue-noses to lay off Emery. He messed up, did his time. Nuff said.

As for Jashire, we all hope he continues to progress. Hang in there, kid.

• djmose American Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 1:28 p.m.

I agree with one of the comments about a lack of experienced coaches on the staff. What is the problem when a top program like BYU can't find experienced coaches. We lost a very good coach from last year to head coaching job. Wonder if that is the problem with the defense. Most top Div. I programs have very experienced coaches! We used to and did for a very long time in the 70's up to few years ago! Don't tell me a former HS coach, Nate Austin, and Lee Cummard are ready for prime time and it is showing up in very mediocre performance. We could say the same thing about BYU football! Pay up BYU! get some good experienced coaches for our programs and return us to the glory days! Let those young coaches get their feet wet at UVU or other small colleges! Alum 1976

• CoHawk Littleton, CO
    Jan. 10, 2019 11:30 a.m.

Hardnett and Rose's relationship is troubled in that Rose loves Emery and Emery is allowed to have tirades while Hardnett isn't allowed the same privilege. Hardnett gets a technical while jawing at a MSSt player. He is benched for all but 5 minutes of the next game and BYU gets embarrassed by a rebuilding St Mary's team who penetrates, at will, to the bucket against Haws, Emery and Co. Emery had a more egregious technical foul in the same MS St game, which is just one technical foul of many for Emery's career ...... vs just 1 for Hardnett ...... and Emery isn't benched or even has his playing time decreased. Emery is rewarded for his bad behavior by increasing his playing time! Rose is getting touchy about the media and their knowledge of the situation. He knows he is on the hot seat and losing Hardnett may be the nail in his coffin. Frankly, I will be amazed if this Rose/Hardnett relationship lasts the remaining part of the year. Hardnett has no problem calling Rose on the carpet for inconsistent rules and favorites and ....... those 2 issues are trademarks of Rose. All this dust-up does is distract from a bad bb team/coach!

• Mowgli54 Granite Bay, CA
    Jan. 10, 2019 10:17 a.m.

Good news. I can hear a sigh of relief from here in California. Jashire is important to the team in a number of ways. As far as assembling the final game plan not long before the game, I say "of course." Coaches finalize the plan based on the absolute latest info about personnel. I imagine that Jashire will be well received when he checks into the game tonight. Funny how rumors started on social media can so easily be impeached.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 8:44 a.m.

Hardnett is the best defender that the Y has. Not playing him is head scratching at the least. It seems like this year Rose has a definite disconnect between him and the players. Frankly I'd rather see Hardnett playing than Emery.

Rose needs to look at some good instate players for the future that don't play at lone Peak. That kid from Copper Hills would be a great player for Rose to recruit. But he hasn't been looked at by in state teams.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Jan. 10, 2019 8:25 a.m.

"“We’ve got a really good relationship as far as understanding each other. I know exactly what he wants and he knows exactly what I want. We’re both committed to the same thing. I’m looking forward to moving on.”

They are both committed to the same thing and Coach is looking forward to "moving on". Does this mean Hardnett will get more than 5 minutes of playing time? Or will Hardnett be left on the bench. We will see what coach meant tonight about looking forward to moving on.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 7:47 a.m.

It must be hard to be under the microscope of the media, speculation, and rumor all the time. Just win games, and that will take care of a lot of this. We need some more seasoned assistant coaches on this team in my estimation. We've certainly got the talent!

Go BYU!

• wallyball SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 7:36 a.m.

Glad that Hardnett is back. However, I feel confident that if you gave all of the other conference coaches a choice between having Emery or Hatdnett on their team, it would unanimously be Emery. Let's see how it plays out the rest of the season.

• gchris Rock Springs, WY
    Jan. 10, 2019 7:28 a.m.

As long as Coach Rose is still trying to figure out a rotation midway through the season, he might try replacing Haws with Hardnett as a primary ball-handler. I think that a big part of BYU's problem is too much Haws and not enough team, but I could be wrong.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 7:16 a.m.

Oh how we like to be optimistic for our Cougars! Reality, if the team turns it around, surprises us with a strong season finish that would be great, but if not, the future of Coach Rose must be evaluated at end of season. Go Cougs!

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Jan. 9, 2019 11:56 p.m.

A day before the game and the final game plan hasn’t been put together? Interesting and troubling.

• TexasCougar San Antonio, TX
    Jan. 9, 2019 11:53 p.m.

So glad Hardnett is back. Looking forward to when Emery is gone.

• blue & white , 00
    Jan. 9, 2019 10:41 p.m.

Glad Hardnett is coming back and hope he stays next year. He should start with Emery off the bench.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Jan. 9, 2019 8:41 p.m.

"But I think we’ve had another great week of practice and I think we’re coming together and we’re ready to fight.”

Still coming together? Really need to do that earlier in the season. Regardless, I would be happy just to see improvement from week to week. Go Cougars!

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 9, 2019 8:14 p.m.

Great news; I’m glad that things are looking up and hope this is a sign if great things to come.

There’s still time to make this a pretty good season.