Only two states had fertility levels above replacement levels in 2017. Utah was one of them

• Millenial Snow Sandy, UT
    Jan. 19, 2019 10:58 a.m.

Scientists cant figure out why? I can tell you:

Wages have been flat since the seventies for most working people.

At the same time housing, education, healthcare, childcare and eldercare rates have all skyrocketed.

I think it's good that people are having the children that they can afford instead of going for it and hoping that the government or a church can step in to help out. This is just people being responsible.

• Itseemstome Springville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2019 9:32 p.m.

Stepping aside from the economics and statistics for a moment, let me just say that my life's greatest joys have come from my children and grandchildren. Yes, having a family is expensive and does require sacrifice, but the joys are greater than any price tag.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Jan. 11, 2019 1:09 p.m.

@JRL

Well, what does "multiply" mean, then?

🤔

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 11, 2019 7:56 a.m.

After reading the article and comments, one word that came to me was selfishness. We have 4 kids and 2 grandkids. Had we stopped at 2 we would have been able to travel more and give the older 2 much more. Sorry, but I couldn’t imagine not having our younger 2 kids. I have friends who have no kids, by choice, and are financially doing great. I’m not saying everyone should have 8 or even 4 kids, but raising our children to be responsible members of society is one of the greatest joys of life. I think many should re-evaluate the purpose of life. If it’s just to work, play, and die, what a waste.

• Jim KABLE Australia, 00
    Jan. 10, 2019 6:26 p.m.

Greetings Cousin: Interesting article. One thinks of countries like China where the one-child policy is being abandoned - huge grief and sadness in the period when it existed - especially if a child died (earthquake, accident, illness) when the mother was beyond child-bearing age. I lived many years in Japan - there the limiting factor was the costs associated with having children - where a family of three or four children was (Wow!) cause for comment. Where abortion was freely and without ethical qualms available. I'm Australian - My maternal English grand-father was one of 16. My mother, one of eight, me one of three - my wife and I - no (living) children. Economics, history - personal tragedy etc - all have bearing on the personal - and so on the national levels of birthrate. My mother was widowed very young (two children) she later re-married and had a third child. My wife and I had a daughter and twin boys - but only after the premature still-birth of the boys (following their almost would-have-been older sister, too) that investigation into the causes was undertaken - and with an early-commencing menopause - too late for us. Fate or the capricious nature of existence itself!

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    Jan. 10, 2019 3:48 p.m.

A few comments
    1-What's going on in S. Dakota? I'm shocked that any state managed to out-birth Utah.

2-The declining birth rate has more to do with better access to birth control and fewer unexpected pregnancies than abortions. The US abortion rate peaked in 1980 and has steadily declined ever since, and is now at its lowest rate since Roe v Wade.

3-My wife recently had our 5th child. This is a lot of kids but in my arrogance I strongly believe we can raise these children to be strong, productive members of society. We work hard to teach them personal responsibility, hard work, and the importance of education. I fully expect our kids to be net providers to the system. We need parents who are able to raise healthy, productive children to have big families to strengthen the next generation.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 3:41 p.m.

@TheRealND
    "My question is whether or not States with higher abortion rates are also the same states with the lower fertility rates."

My abbreviated answer was at the start of my comment. Yes, but it's not a perfect match.

But there's also been a steadily declining trend nationwide in birth rates for a century now and in the past 20+ years there's also been a decline in abortions too.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Jan. 10, 2019 3:20 p.m.

@Frozen

"Somewhat the reverse but nationally abortion rates have also been declining for a while now so pregnancies as a whole have been declining quite substantially rather than it being a matter of similar pregnancy rates but increasing abortions."

I should have been more clear in my post. My question is whether or not States with higher abortion rates are also the same states with the lower fertility rates.

• JRL in AZ Tucson, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2019 2:28 p.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin:
    "Replenish" means to replace what was used, no more and no less.

The problem with that argument is that you aren't taking into account what that word meant when it was translated. It meant "to fill," not "to refill." And the Hebrew word meant "to fill" also.

• bullet56 Tumwater, WA
    Jan. 10, 2019 2:28 p.m.

I have no children, yet pay to support schools for those who do. Socialism? No, just good community standards and policy. Low birth rates are directly related to the ability to afford such expensive living creatures under a common roof and paycheck. Capitalism, places a premium on consumer goods and convenience, planned obsolescence, and class envy. We are a country of "Me first" singles now.
    We should not worry too much about replacing ourselves, if our concern is to have future workers and taxpayers. By opening our borders to the talents of immigrants, our nation has always, and will always; do just fine.

• Don Bixby Centerville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 2:24 p.m.

"The number of children a couple choose is between them and body else. You should be able to provide for children's needs if you choose parenthood. If you cannot be a responsible parent please do not procreate"

Wait, NeilT, which way do you want it? Is it up to the couple to decide or is it up to you to come up with an arbitrary measure that is none of your business? You can't have it both ways. We are all waiting for you to decide how much you want us all to procreate.

• SLars Provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 2:22 p.m.

People have used low birth rates for decades as an excuse to increase immigration.

1920 we hit 100 million
    1970 we hit 200 million
    2010 we hit 300 million.

Anyone see a pattern here? We are not running out of people. Wisconsin became the 17th state to allow people to drive on the shoulder of the road to help relieve traffic congestion. If people really cared about our environment, they would see the fallacy in flooding our labor market.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 1:28 p.m.

@TheRealND
    "I wonder how the abortion rate per state correlates to the fertility rate per State?"

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 10, 2019 12:42 p.m.

@conservative

"Seems like a lonely way to interpret that commandment."

But I'm not interpreting anything - you are. I'm taking the scripture literally.

Obviously there was a time when growing the human population was necessary and advisable. Clearly that time has passed. With the world-wide changes in climate already lowering the per-acre yield of crop production, many of the children born today will simply starve to death.

• NeilT Harrisville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 12:25 p.m.

• AlagnakLounger Heber City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 10:53 a.m.

It's long been argued that the U.S. will simply grow its way out of debt; therefore the national debt is no big deal.

In the long-term, this does not bode well for that strategy. Europe and Japan are already feeling the pinch on their social programs due to falling birth rates. And, un-assimilated immigrants don't help the structural problem; they exacerbate it.

• TKB Provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 10:45 a.m.

The documentary "Demographic Winter" offers a more thorough summary exploring the cause and implications of a declining birthrate. Their finding is over population is not the issue; increased lifespan is.
    Question: What are the consequences of demographic decline?
    Answer: Economist Robert J. Samuelson wrote in a June 15, 2005 column in The Washington Post: “It’s hard to be a great power if your population is shriveling.” Samuelson warned: “Europe as we know it is going out of business…. Western Europe’s population grows dramatically grayer, projects the U.S. Census Bureau. Now about one-sixth of the population is 65 and older. By 2030, that could be one-fourth and by 2050, almost one-third.”
    If present low birthrates persist, the European Union estimates there will be a continent-wide shortfall of 20 million workers by 2030. This leads Europeans to many questions: Who will operate the factories and farms in the Europe of the future? Who will develop the natural resources? . . . Who will support and care for a graying population? How will health and pension systems be sustained? This trend reflects our current cultural emphasis on materialism.

• search diligently Lehi, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 10:40 a.m.

"One of the big stories about why the total fertility rate has been declining nationally is near-eradicaton of teen pregnancy," Perlich said.

I'm not sure if this is true. (I hope it is.) Or is it because there is an increase in teen abortions? Was this considered in the study?

• ConservativeUtahisBest Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 10:34 a.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

So you are saying Adam and Eve should of only had 2 kids. And then their two kids should of only had 2 kids, so there won't only be 2 people on the earth at any one time. Seems like a lonely way to interpret that commandment.

• Trinidad American Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 10:01 a.m.

So........let me get this straight. Washington D.C has the lowest birth rate in the country, well below replacement levels. That would mean, theoretically, that at some time in the future the population of D.C. would be zero. What's not to like?

• Flipphone , 00
    Jan. 10, 2019 9:45 a.m.

Children are expensive.

• The Real Maverick Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 9:43 a.m.

Behold

Exhibit A for why we need to encourage immigration here. Immigrants do jobs that other Americans think they’re too good for.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 9:26 a.m.

I wonder if we’re seeing the effects of not only delaying childbirth, but of decreased fertility due to obesity. It may not be a conscious choice women are making to have fewer kids, but a biologic barrier as well.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 9:16 a.m.

I am glad to see the first comment on this article has been deleted. It reeked of nationalism, fascism, and white supremacy. There is no room for using the scriptures to justify those positions.

We have 4 children, and are lucky enough to be able to have my wife stay home with them. It isn't easy though and we definitely feel at a disadvantage economically because of it. This would have been a smaller family in generations past but there is literally no other way that we could have afforded more. A cancer diagnosis for my wife has clinched having more, even if we hadn't already decided we were done. There are so many variables that determine why people chose to have the amount of children they do, and it's really no ones business but their own.

• Utah Democrat Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 8:41 a.m.

More babies born into an area with environmental issues that are poisoning them in their mother's womb. Take a hint.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 10, 2019 8:35 a.m.

@conservative

"God's first commandment that is still ongoing today is to multiply and replenish the world. That is and always will be the goal. God's children deserve to come down to bodies. The fall in fertility is the adversary's way of trying to impede God's plan."

Do you know what the words"multiply" and "replenish" mean?

"Multiply" means to procreate (i.e. have children).

"Replenish" means to replace what was used, no more and no less.

So, in order to be truly replenishing, we should be having two children per couple. Those two children replenish the lives of their two parents.

I'm not sure when or why that scripture was interpreted as "have as many children as you can." I suspect it's a misinterpretation of the word "multiply".

• FightingbigC Houston, Texas
    Jan. 10, 2019 8:27 a.m.

We seem to have a growing problem of carrying babies to full term & trouble with our ability to procreate. I've seen this in my family & friends. Of course my aunts & mom had cervicle & uterus cancer early in life. My other friend had a hysterectomy at 22. I always had complications & quit breathing while delivering my only child.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Jan. 10, 2019 8:17 a.m.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 7:48 a.m.

Sorry, but looking back if I had it to do over again, I would skip it altogether just on cost alone. Having kids changed my life forever in ways that were not necessarily enjoyable. Hind sight 20/20 but the headache and cost was not worth it.

• ConservativeUtahisBest Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 7:43 a.m.

• Justsomeguy7 Utah, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 7:27 a.m.

>as the culture and identity of the country changes.

Said culture has changed many times throughout our history and I have never met a single person not having kids due to this.

> losing the country through assimilation of our culture.

White culture does not exist. It's like saying Asian culture. It's a meaningless term.

>For 50 years the white population has been limited to only 17% of our green cards.

This matters why? The scriptures you cite are directed towards the descendants of the Lamanites not the European settlers.

• Million Riverton, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 5:59 a.m.

It would actually seem like a blessing to slow down the birth rate. The world is over populated. If it hadn't been for the introduction of artificial fertilizer to create larger plant yields then the world would be starving at this time. On the flip side we are seeing the disaster of algae blooms from the runoff of that fertilizer.