BYU men's volleyball: Cougars begin 2019 with different look but same high expectations

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 11, 2019 11:38 a.m.

There would be many more men's teams in volleyball, if not for the current interpretation in how to enforce Title IX.

As a top female athlete once said, "Title IX is intended to advance women's sports, not inhibit men's."

Unfortunately it is doing a lot of the latter.

• BlueHusky Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 11, 2019 7:06 a.m.

It's fun to go to the Smith Fieldhouse for volleyball. BYU's teams are so amazing. I started watching them when they came to UCI or UCLA. I live in Utah now and try to catch live games. VB is so amazing - guys and gals jumping so high and hitting so hard and making impossible digs.

I loved to play volleyball, but would never make a junior high school team today. These guys and gals are real athletes.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Jan. 11, 2019 3:48 a.m.

@Aunty

"You obviously haven’t watched much men’s volleyball"
    Yes, that's what I said!
    To say that I have never watched wouldn't be true. I think it was Ohio State that I watched beat BYU. Exciting! There are probably many exciting games/matches.

My point is that an entire collegiate league with only 22 teams lacks depth.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 11, 2019 12:46 a.m.

@THEREALND
    Not quite accurate. There actually about 24 D1 schools and around 20 D2 schools who compete with the D1 Schools in men’s volleyball.

• Aunty Mythology Monrovia, CA
    Jan. 10, 2019 10:14 p.m.

THEREALND - Mishawaka, IN
    Jan. 10, 2019 5:04 p.m.
    I don't follow men's collegiate volleyball. But it doesn't appear to be a very robust sport with only 22 schools competing in Division I.

You obviously haven’t watched much men’s volleyball.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 9:39 p.m.

BYU Volleyball is superb on the Women or Men's side. A sister and brother coach these two teams and boy, can they coach! We LOVE to watch these games and are avid fans of Heather and Shawn Olmstead and the BYU volleyball teams.

The girls were awesome. The men's team looks really good tonight sweeping Ohio State at home. We missed watching the game because it was on at the same time as Men's Basketball, and I couldn't pick it up on w.tv.

Go Cougars!

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Jan. 10, 2019 5:04 p.m.

The women's sport is much more healthy.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Jan. 10, 2019 4:57 p.m.

@ BlueCoug,

After I graduated from Utah in 1984, I got a full-ride golf scholly at Hawaii. Back then, Hawaii was a great men's volleyball school too! That is how I noticed BYU volleyball, and follow both teams....girls and men. They are a great product and I watch almost every game. BYU is a volleyball school and a great one, hands down. My fave team is U gymnastics......oh my......the best program in NCAA and sports history......no other team comes close in any sport......pro or amateur.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Jan. 10, 2019 1:18 p.m.

I generally don't watch much sports as it is much more fun to play sports than it is to watch, but volleyball has to be one of the best, if not the best, sport to watch. It is fun that both men's and women's volleyball at BYU are consistently great. I think the crowds at the fieldhouse are louder than those in the Marriott Center. Looking forward to the new volleyball season, go Cougars!

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 12:52 p.m.

Real Ute - Dallas, TX
    Jan. 10, 2019 8:30 a.m.
    I love BYU volleyball! I've followed them since 1984. I never root or cheer for the Y, but they can sure play big time volleyball = entertainment = 1000%!

———

As a former BYU player, I totally agree.

BYU men’s and women’s VB have been BYU’s most consistently big time programs.

It’s too bad Utah doesn’t sponsor a men’s team.

Go Cougs!

💙🤙🏐

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 12:53 p.m.

Real Ute - Dallas, TX
    Jan. 10, 2019 8:30 a.m.

———

As a former BYU player, I totally agree.

BYU men’s and women’s VB have been BYU’s most consistently big time programs.

It’s too bad Utah doesn’t sponsor a men’s team.

Go Cougs!

💙🤙🏐

• CoHawk Littleton, CO
    Jan. 10, 2019 12:25 p.m.

Olmstead is a solid coach and a hard worker. He is also a good recruiter. Just checking the men's vb roster shows a very deep and talented team from all over the world. How can the men's vb team find that many guys over 6' 7" from all over ........ and Dave Rose can't find any? Hmmmmm work ethic? The BYU women's vb team is almost as tall as the men's bb team. At what point do we just ask the 2 vb coaches to do the recruiting for the men's bb team?? My bet is that they would could and would do a better job of recruiting outside of Utah. I also am willing to bet that the 6 tallest guys on the vb team can out jump/dunk/shoot a basketball better than any big on Rose's team except Childs ......... although they all might be able to out jump Childs. Really these vb programs at BYU just out work most other programs at the school. They deserve the success they have achieved. Please help refer players who aren't good enough for your vb teams to the Men's bb team!!

Just be careful to allow Rose to think it was his idea ..... or just tell him that the players are from LP!

• Road Runner Cedar City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2019 12:23 p.m.

I believe that BYU is the only program with a winning record versus UCLA, which has won more national championships than any other program.

Looking forward to another BYU national championship contending season.

💙🤙🏐

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Jan. 10, 2019 9:58 a.m.

I’m looking forward to watching Will Stanley develop as a setter. Not only does he have the pedigree, but he brings it from the service line.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX