How much money would it take to get you to quit Facebook? The average answer may surprise you

• SirAlvann , 00
    Jan. 10, 2019 1:38 p.m.

Nothing absolutely Nothing ? Facebook is the next most intrusive invasive illegal spy ring next to the NSA ? Just about everything you look at on the net has that FB insignia logo ? or do you want to open this page with FB ? Google is the 3rd worst out there ? Show me how to delete FB for ever not just deactivate it ? FB wants to know everything that you look at and do in the cyberspace world ? Sorry what I search on the net for is None of FB business Period ? Please monitor safeguard watch and protect yourself your children and family members from these criminals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Patricia Silverman Wauchula, FL
    Jan. 10, 2019 4:31 a.m.

the real problem with Facebook is their use of community standards to force a political goal, they block content they don't like, and they do it in a arbitration way and there is no way to hold them accountable for their unamerican ways, however the reach in terms of the number of people you might reach is huge, not sure maybe 2 cents maybe 10000 dollars but they are trying to program us

• Seagull Suz Sandy, UT
    Jan. 9, 2019 9:43 p.m.

I am a retired 70 year old who loves Facebook...I do not intend to remove myself from using it for a number of reasons:
    1 - most of my friends and relatives communicate via FB...from teens to my 91 ye old MIL and a few aunties and uncles in their 80s and 90s...we have closed group FB for a family organization (photos, reunions, family updates)...a closed group family site for Christmas cards/newsletters was set up this year...
    2 - church updates
    3 - share photography with other photogs
    4 - associate with folks who find owners of lost dogs
    5 - AMBER ALERTS
    6 - stay in contact friends who live far from me
    Advertising can be annoying but I just use the option FB privides to change what they feed me to what is interesting to me...

Yes, I have been hacked but it was easy to contact FB security and the hacker account was removed timely...

There is no such thing as privacy in today's world...data is mined by advertisers if you shop at a grocery store, use a dry cleaner, buy gasoline for your car, or take your pet to a groomer...and the list goes on and on...the key is to be smart in your usage of FB or any computer or electronic device...
    change passwords often...

• Mrs TAP Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 9, 2019 9:09 p.m.

No amount of money could force me to give up FB. It is my lifeline!!!

• OldSalt94 West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 9, 2019 6:12 p.m.

I stay on in it just to be obnoxious....so two million ought to cover my dropping it...

• BAKC Litchfield Park, AZ
    Jan. 9, 2019 10:42 a.m.

I wouldn’t need much - I’ve never opened an account with FB, don’t see the need.

Next up, see how much people would require to stop using Starbucks.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Jan. 8, 2019 10:43 p.m.

I'm pretty addicted to food, sleep, oxygen and my wife (yes, she's looking over my shoulder!).

Other than that, pretty much moderation in all things. I joined Facebook back in the day when you needed an edu email address to even sign up, but I probably only post six times a year and maybe look at posts twice a month. My kids won't even touch it, they say it is only for old people, they use newer, cooler apps.

• Trudere Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 9:59 p.m.

I like being able to discuss political issues and keep up with friends. However, someone apparently tried to hack my password about 6 weeks ago, and I haven't been able to log in again. The process to prove my identity to reset the password is unbelievably complicated and invasive. I stopped trying. I don't trust its "security" and don't like the obnoxious ads. I really haven't missed it! I wish an alternative existed.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 6:36 p.m.

I would pay if they would "delete" my account. As it is all you can do is not use it until it becomes suspended. Hackers could still access your information.

• Aggielove Caldwell, ID
    Jan. 8, 2019 4:47 p.m.

-0 Dollars

• HowlingDog Ivins, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 1:31 p.m.

There is really no value in Facebook.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 1:32 p.m.

$Zero. I quit a few years ago and it's been great.

• DudeDude Chicago, IL
    Jan. 8, 2019 1:23 p.m.

"Facebook is free to users...". Not true, it is a waste of time, energy and emotion. I was hooked on it and finally broke the habit. Of all the addictive habits I have had, facebook was the worst. I wouldn't go back for any price.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Jan. 8, 2019 12:54 p.m.

I would use Facebook if they paid me.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 12:27 p.m.

A nickel. But since I don't do Facebook I can't claim that I guess?

I believe one's privacy is too valuable to put a price on.

I have texting, emailing and actual calling to stay in touch with people so I don't need social media with all it's undesirable side effects.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Jan. 8, 2019 12:18 p.m.

I'm always fascinated by people who claim not to have any need for social media.

• Anonymous100 Anywhere, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 12:16 p.m.

I quit Facebook over a year ago for free. They couldn't pay me enough to go back to it.

• swartzy1 Dallas, TX
    Jan. 8, 2019 11:24 a.m.

I like and hate Facebook. I have been able to keep up with friends in a much easier way than before. It just helps me center in a place to meet up with them. I also find lots of special LIKE places that are very helpful , example. I had a car wreck and had brain damage, the TBI site is so helpful to talk with others like me. What I hate is all the Have to do things. I do not like their news, I don't like the Last year booklets, I don't like the majority of things on the left side. A few are great but If I could I would delete most of those things. I hate it when Facebook keeps trying to push things at me. I think it would be much better to delete all the things I don' t like and keep the ones that help me. It will never happen, but that is why I hate much of it. Sort of like Apple and the Iphone or IPad. They think they know more and better than we do. Keep it simple and enjoy the parts you like.

• MC Squared Plano, TX
    Jan. 8, 2019 9:57 a.m.

The premise of the question is wrong, It shouldn't be how much would they want to have their account deactivated but instead how much money would they be willing to pay NOT to have their Facebook account deactivated.

• matman Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 9:57 a.m.

Facebook is that monster from Bird Box!

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 9:43 a.m.

It would take $0.00. I don't do facebook or any other social media other than this extremely biased comment board. I value my privacy and have no desire to post my private life up for the world to see.

• flyboy53 HERRIMAN, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 9:31 a.m.

I like these two quotes:

"I have no social media. I don't need things in my life to distract me from my life."
    Paul Rudd, Quotable Quotes, Reader's Digest, Dec18/Jan 19
    "The smartphone is pumping my brain full of digital data that I don't need. Creativity and time and presence all get sucked out by it."
    Dierks Bentley, USA Today, 11 June 18

I spend maybe an hour a week checking up on family and friends; otherwise, Facebook and everything like it are a complete waste of time. Ten days off it was very relaxing.

My neighbor All American is naive in thinking that "The only way to not be addicted to anything is to use self control." It would be nice if it was that simple, but addiction of any kind is pretty complicated. I used to have that attitude, inherited from my parents, until I had to deal with it personally.

Allen A, I've had the thought for a while now that Big Brother Lives, but he changed his name to Google, Yahoo, Apple, Facebook, etc. They all know everything we do online, and even connect dots between us and people we may not know, based on the fact that we have common contacts or friends. Scary stuff.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 9:31 a.m.

I quit for free!

Years and years ago, my wife set me up with a Facebook account. At the time siblings, nieces and nephews, even an uncle were on there; so I thought it might be a good way to stay in touch with them; maybe reconnect with one or two persons I knew not in my family.

Took me two maybe three weeks tops before I never logged in again. It was 99% advertisements that were blasted to my "wall." Once in a while a relative would post something and I might have commented on. Really if I want to be advertised to, I would just as soon turn on the TV; and channel surf the commercials.

• Allen A. Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 8, 2019 9:08 a.m.

I have never bothered with Facebook and I deliberately chose to keep a flip phone rather than go with the "smart phone." Having something that reports your location continuously to people that you do not know is not acceptable to me. Don't try to tell me that you can turn it off. The locator is only turned off for certain applications and it can be hacked. The Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church said in an interview that our tech devices will allow others to control our thinking, by controlling what news we get and what information we are allowed to see. He believes that, if that control is concentrated in one entity or with one person, that person will become the Anti Christ. While I do not accept that idea, having all information controlled by people who are influenced by evil can do tremendous damage to our freedom.

• All American Herriman, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 8:53 a.m.

To some, FB is like alcoholism - an addiction. But like the old saying goes, "moderation in all things", is applicable. I love seeing photos of my grandchildren doing whatever. I'm happy seeing posts from my friends and family. If you don't want FB to use your information, be discriminating about the info you put there. Common sense should be the first order. Don't "friend" people you don't know or don't want to know about. Each person is in charge of their "news stream". If you only want to see news from people you know, don't click "like" on anything else - ever - especially not the ads FB throws in your face. The only way to not be addicted to anything is to use self control. FB doesn't MAKE you go online to check and they don't MAKE you click on anything. You do it to yourself.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 8:40 a.m.

Quitting facebook made me happier and less anxious. And it saved my daugher's life. I'm not kidding...

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 8:38 a.m.

The only thing that Facebook has that it can profit, is the sales of ads and personal information of the users of Facebook. If every user were to close their account, Facebook would be worthless the stock price would go to zero. Zuckerberg's $50 billion stock holdings... Aaaaaand it's gone.

If all users quit Facebook, then they might have a chance of getting some money from Facebook to reactivate their accounts. Rather than let Facebook profit from the sales of your information, you may as well profit from the sale of your information and get paid for every ad you watch.

$1,000 is not enough money for me to use Facebook. Never had an account, never will.

• SorryNotSorry Draper, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 8:13 a.m.

@hutterite you shouldn’t be using any media as a “Hutterite.”

As for me I don’t keep the app on my phone and I block it on safari. Only place I access it is on a computer where I genuinely use it for connecting.

• Peacevibes55 , 00
    Jan. 8, 2019 7:53 a.m.

I’m certainly not on there very much anymore but I do enjoy seeing my family who live in another state . But give me 1000 bucks and I’ll quit I could surely use it to pay a bill .

• St. Alfonzo West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 7:41 a.m.

I deleted my Facebook account about 3 years ago. One of the best decisions I ever made.

May I get a check? :)

• Elsleuith Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 7:28 a.m.

For twenty five bucks I'll quit. Facebook is over rated. I like using it to find old friends or missionary companions but finding out what people eat or where they spend their vacations is uninteresting.

• corsair4360 Logan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 7:16 a.m.

I quit voluntarily cannot stand what Zuckerman does with personal data you provide him

• lnkmom Lehi, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 5:50 a.m.

Would I have loved to see my cousin's kids for all these years that I have avoided having a Facebook account? Of course I would!

But, my instincts told me to avoid it at the beginning (for all the reasons that people are now trying to get rid of it) and I'm grateful I never fell into the trap... because we all know that when something is free, we are the product being marketed.

• PhoenixAZ phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 8, 2019 4:55 a.m.

Bring it on! I can do without FB to live.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 3:54 a.m.

I felt I was spending more time on Facebook than I would admit. It is very addictive! My break though came last October Conference when President Nelson asked us to take a 10 day fast on Social Media. For me that was Facebook!

Ten days was pretty easy, and I decided to do another 10. Now, ten days has become 3 months, and I have finally broken the habit and have never turned back. Free at last!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 8, 2019 12:48 a.m.

I've not looked at the bookface in my life. Where's my cheque?