Dick Harmon: BYU-Pacific WCC opener illustrated the difficulty of officiating

• my screen name Murray, UT
    Jan. 6, 2019 9:10 a.m.

Well written article! I enjoyed it, but I didn't enjoy the clinic. I prefer games.

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2019 5:56 p.m.

@Ed Cheesman

Simply stated, the WCC has some of the worst refs in all of NCAA basketball.

------------
    The WCC doesn't have refs, these refs are the same ones used by other conferences on the west coast like the MWC, the Pac12, etc. They are part of a group that do all the games out west for the NCAA.

But yes, they are bad.

• payara OREM, UT
    Jan. 5, 2019 3:01 p.m.

60 fouls in 40 minutes, resulting in almost unwatchable basketball. Big Nose and the young dark-haired guy have to make every call as if the world depends on watching their histrionics. They should be embarrassed, but they have no shame. The lowest of the low in sports officiating--IMHO--is when the officials' egos are so inflated that they actually believe they are superior to the players and thus the game needs them to dictate every instant of play. That could have been a fun, competitive game to watch, between two average, well-matched teams. Instead it was a mockery of all that is good and beautiful about basketball.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Jan. 5, 2019 2:56 p.m.

65CookieToss - Please explain what a "minor foul" is for us. And here I thought a foul was a foul and that all should be called. . . Obviously byu fans see many things differently.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Jan. 5, 2019 12:25 p.m.

I watched the game and wondered why Childs could get mugged time after time with no fouls called, yet he got called if he was even close to a shooter. I watched with utter disbelief when I saw time after time Pacific players drive directly into a BYU player (sometimes with their elbows up in the chest of the defender) only to get fouls called on BYU. Having said that, BYU needs to improve their foul shooting! The Pacific players seemed like they couldn't miss from the free throw line, so you know what their game plan is, and it is to get to the line in any way possible.

• Harline Still Open Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 5, 2019 11:55 a.m.

The "sanctuary state" comment in the opening paragraph of the article was awesome. Good job!!!!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 5, 2019 9:35 a.m.

I am still a little confused by the foul given to Nick Emery when he almost touched someone shooting a missed 3 point shot during the last minute of the game.
    The replay showed he did not touch the Pacific player before, During, or after the shot.

• [email protected] Vernal, UT
    Jan. 5, 2019 9:15 a.m.

Dick Harmon: Hilarious editorial, It wasn't fun watching the game, but it was fun reading your article. Thanks for your insight.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Jan. 5, 2019 8:53 a.m.

Simply put: I am grateful that I am not an official. No mater what you do one team and their supporters will be unhappy. I am certain that I could not make the right call, in the moment nearly as accurately as I would like.

That said; the officiating was horrendous.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Jan. 5, 2019 7:45 a.m.

Having been a sports official in one sport or another for going on 40 years, I can attest to sometimes getting things incorrect. However, most officials get it right nearly 100% of the time. As Harmon stated, the calls are done in real time. I work hard to get it right. I'm not as fast as I was 40 years ago, nor as in shape, but the years and experience have made it so I'm in the right place to make the right call. I feel advantage/disadvantage works quite well and I do let a lot go when there is no clear advantage or disadvantage depending on what is happening.

Referees and Umpires work hard to do their best. You sometimes have a bad call or even a bad game, but you soldier on and improve. I invite you arm chair officials who criticize the officials to come on out and join our fraternity. It is fun and you can make some extra cash. There is a great need for officials. So come and help. You may like it.

That said, that foul call on Emery was just plain bad. However, Emery should have acted like nothing happened. His raising of the hands with the "I didn't do it" motions after the alleged foul is most likely what got him the foul. Plus his reputation.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Jan. 5, 2019 7:10 a.m.

BYU had 3 technical fouls against Mississippi State. Zero against Pacific. They improved!

• Cougarbib2 Moorpark, CA
    Jan. 5, 2019 1:20 a.m.

Emery seemed to contact the three point shooter long before he launched the shot. In other words he was not in the act of shooting when the last contact of any nature was made. This, it should not have resulted in 3 free throws.

Luckily, the guy missed one of the three shots which let us continue to play with a lead.

• Boberino Farmington, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:25 p.m.

Based on Pacific’s physical play I was certain BYU would lose. They did a good job of maintaining their poise. Free throws must improve. One awful call that stuck in my mind was the one when the Pacific player threw his forearm into the BYU defender’s neck as he drove to the basket. I don’t understand how that can be a blocking foul. Go Cougars!

• kiddsport Fairview, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:07 p.m.

The ref should never be the story. Take note WCC. (I'm sure they do; they may not act, though, for partisan or political reasons.)

• Trigotan Kennewick, WA
    Jan. 4, 2019 7:21 p.m.

On the last shot Gallinat kicked his leg out to make contact with Hardnett, then fell to the ground trying to sell a foul that didn’t happen. The sad thing is that, considering how good his acting had been all night, I was pretty surprised that he didn’t get the call.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 4, 2019 7:00 p.m.

Dick,
    It was a clinic on "how to" and on "how not to" officiate basketball games.
    These refs showed us both.
    BTW, how come the Cougars didn't get the ball to open the second half? The scorers table had everybody confused...even the refs.

• LoveLondon Murray, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 5:03 p.m.

Great sarcastic article about the officiating Dick! I realize officials cannot get every call right, but the WCC must have the worst officials in the entire country. Also, Pacific’s Roberto Gallinat seemed to be auditioning for Best Actor rather than playing basketball. The worst part about is the referees bought his acting job.

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Jan. 4, 2019 4:15 p.m.

Yes, the replay showed Emery not even close to the player on the 3 point shoot foul. the ESPN folks showed restraint by not saying much about the obvious blunder. The replay said it all. Just flop when you shoot I guess and see if the Refs call it. Pacific had their performance down. Too funny and happy it did not result in a loss for the team. BYU's foul shooting was pathetic. What happen to Haws' free throw shooting?

• mkwhit WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 4:00 p.m.

It seems that "reffing" on the whole is pretty weak. Case in point -- Durant's "three step out of bounds" pass to a teammate for a 3! Yes, it's fast and hard to follow, but there's a degree of wackiness that makes it all laughable.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Jan. 4, 2019 3:15 p.m.

College refs simply take themselves too seriously. Nobody pays to watch them blow their whistles for minor fouls. This has been a problem in college basketball for a long time. It has made the game nearly unwatchable.

• Ed Cheeseman Draper, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 3:03 p.m.

Simply stated, the WCC has some of the worst refs in all of NCAA basketball. I attend most of the BYU home games and have seen too many astoundingly bad calls. I wish there was something that could be done -- are you listening WCC?

• IQ92 hi, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 2:55 p.m.

Officiating difficult? Nay, impossible. Athletiscim and technique has become far faster and trickier than human reaction can judge.

Instead of looks of utter disbelief, I'd prefer to see more snickering* by all. (*See Muttley the dog.)

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 4, 2019 2:54 p.m.

Yes, the fouls called were pretty even, but the standard for a “foul” was different between the 2 teams. Yoeli did commit some legitimate fouls but never should have been close to fouling out. And the 3 point foul call on Emory was a joke. Pacific was allowed to be far more physical than BYU was.