Utah Sen. Mitt Romney says Trump should 'up his game,' on day he and Rep. Ben McAdams are sworn in

• rojomatt Maple Plain, MN
    Jan. 8, 2019 4:30 a.m.

Thank you Senator Romney. - I am a registered Democrat from Minnesota who understands & lives by hard work & honesty. I applaud your recent comments about the reality of the Trump administration. I hope and pray that your religious conviction about the most basic knowledge of right and wrong, and not any possibility of political gain ,prompted you to make your statement. I need a hero now. - At this moment I realize that I have never in the past even taken any note of a Senator's religious affiliation (or lack of). That is because I care most deeply "that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." In my mind there is no religious test except honesty. I live that way: I expect no less. - You should also know that I am an agnostic. I know the difference between right and wrong, and live my life that way. Unfortunately, the current occupant of the stand up for not only common decency, but more importantly, our Constitution and the rule of law. Thank you again

• wrz , 00
    Jan. 5, 2019 7:43 p.m.

@Astoria Jim:
    "I still remember him saying in 2012 that Russia was America's greatest threat on the international stage, and everybody, including me and probably you, laughed at him.
    I'm not laughing now. Are you?"

Russia is a problem... but not our biggest. Our biggest is a religion located in the Middle East whose objective is to take over the world and establish their caliphate across the world... including the United States of America. Have your heard of Shariah Law?

• Edmunds Tucker , 00
    Jan. 5, 2019 10:01 a.m.

Trump wrote about 20 books over 2 decades. Haven't read them all yet, but when I do I'll make my decision on uping the game

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:08 p.m.

LDS members outside Utah are happy that a decent man like Romney is representing Utah and will stand up to Trump. Those who support Trump have no moral standing.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:46 p.m.

People obviously prefer the very flawed, yet direct, open, and sincere character of Trump to the carefully-crafted, elitist, egotistical, politically-calculating, character of Romney.

• Astoria Jim Mamaroneck, NY
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:36 p.m.

I think Mitt, unlike Hillary Clinton, will not seek the Presidency in 2020. He realizes that he had his chance, he lost, and now is the time to be a constructive voice, not only for his party but more importantly, his country.
    I'm not laughing now. Are you?

• wrz , 00
    Jan. 4, 2019 8:34 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug:
    "The sooner we get rid of the rot at the top of the GOP the better."

That rot at the top (as you call it) has done this country alotta good since he was voted in office. Raised GDP to almost 4%; lowered unemployment to something we haven't seen in ages for Blacks, Hispanics, and all Americans; got NATO members to start paying their fair share; Cut taxes for all American taxpayers; Rolled back unimportant business regulations; tried hard to ban travel from countries who wish the US harm; and much, much more.

"The fact that Trump is holding 800K fed workers hostage for a Wall..."

Those who are holding federal workers hostage are the Democrats who refuse to provide the funds to build a needed barrier (sometimes called a wall) along our southern border. Besides, those federal workers will get paid their full wages. They lose nothing. It's kinda like a paid vacation for them.

• one old man MSC, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 2:53 p.m.

It's disturbing -- and puzzling -- how and why so many people defend trump when his entire agenda has been self-promotion at the expense and destruction of our great nation.

It's apparent that Russian and extreme far right propaganda has been able to lure people to follow the Pied Piper as he tootles and tweets his foolish messages.

We are in serious trouble.

• Crazy in California Acampo, CA
    Jan. 4, 2019 2:01 p.m.

Romney, said before he ran, while he ran and now has said when taking office; that he will criticize when it's important and support when in agreement.

That is exactly what Romney has been doing and is doing.

I believe that Romney truely wants Trump to up his game, that his criticism is not a gratuitous political shot.

They have enough conservative values in common, and commitment to get needed things done for the country.

Romney and Trump will work together.

• Stanton Spokane, WA
    Jan. 4, 2019 1:22 p.m.

Mitt Romney should "shut his mouth" rather than calling for President Trump to "up his game". President Trump was elected President while Mitt Romney was not. Who has already "up his game"?

• Contemplator Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 1:14 p.m.

Not sure what it would mean if Trump would "up his game".

Would that mean more lies, more rude behavior, more deficit spending, more tax cuts, more trade wars, or an even higher wall on our southern border?

• klock St. George, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 12:45 p.m.

Hey, Mitt. You said you'd call out a lack of comity wherever you saw it. So, it won't come as a surprise to you that I - as a former card-carrying Romney supporter - am waiting with baited breath - refreshing my screen every 10 seconds - so I can be the first to read your scathing rebuke of Congresswoman Tlaib, along with your admonition that she 'up her game' and "rise to the mantle" of a functional public servant.

Crickets. Crickets. Crickets.

• storm3033 Vernal, Utah
    Jan. 4, 2019 12:44 p.m.

Romney was mum on his anti trump character during his senatorial race.

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 12:24 p.m.

@bemorefair - MH, 00

"He needs to be more presidential in how he acts, and it is scary how he seems unconcerned with leaving the Middle East in such a precarious situation that would allow the Taliban and ISIS to regroup."

More presidential? I prefer actions over words. Presidential for which country?

Leave the Middle East in a precarious situation? He is getting out of the way of Middle East countries, so countries like Turkey can do what they need to do rather than put our troops in harm's way to do what the Turks can and should do.

• Gary Horton Prescott, AZ
    Jan. 4, 2019 12:16 p.m.

I think Senator Mitt Romney has made his objectives quite clear about the things he really wants to accomplish in Congress during his tenure. Unity between the two parties must be the first and number one goal. Nothing will be accomplished without that one guiding principle. I am a five generation Republican who believes that we can achieve what our founding fathers envisioned for our great nation.

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 12:03 p.m.

Romney - “I’m not worried about what other people think about what I have to say.”

So another politician whether it be from the left or the right who doesn't care what other people think.

Not that it would have mattered, but I wish I could take my vote back. I don't care if he wants to change anything, as long as it is for the better. But don't say you don't care what people think. Bad move Mittens!

• UncleArtie Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 12:01 p.m.

Some have said Utah is the scam capitol of the country. Romney has proven that to be true - a Democrat scammed the Republicans.

• baseballmom1 logan, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 11:56 a.m.

Romney should have "upped his game" when running for president. He dominated first debate & then thought he had it. He played it safe & fizzled. He miscalculated his own importance. His presidential campaign can charitably be described as languid, lurching from one tactical statement to the next without a consistent theme or strategy. When Romney speaks, he says nothing. He is a self-righteous, pompous, smug hypocrite. He has a reputation of a serial flip-flopper who changes his position on just about every issue, including his relationship with Trump. When he needs Trump he uses him; praises his abilities, character, and intelligence. Later, when he doesn't need Trump he completely changes the narrative. Romney strategically says what he feels will benefit him. What does Romney stand for? Who knows. His manic behavior & reputation is why he ran for office in Utah. He's LDS, he knew that would get him votes. He would not have won elsewhere. He questions Trump's character & behavior? I question Romney's intelligence, integrity & agenda, whatever that is. At least Trump is trying to do what he promised. What do you stand for Mitt, besides non-productively hating Trump?

• DudeDude Chicago, IL
    Jan. 4, 2019 11:53 a.m.

McAdams won because he wasn't Love. His protest vote won't mean much if he votes the democrat line. If he does, he won't survive another election. Actually, he probably won't survive another election anyway, he is not a Jim Matheson.

• dmcvey Los Angeles, CA
    Jan. 4, 2019 11:27 a.m.

Romney's criticisms of Trump all seem to be cosmetic. He doesn't like the way Trump acts but doesn't seem to have any problem with Trump's policies.

• DaveAbernathy Logan, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 11:13 a.m.

The 3 most misguided and in my view morally corrupt senators in my lifetime have all been LDS. Harry Reid, Mitt Romney and Jeff Flake - all prefer the policies of the left, which in my opinion go against what my God wants for his children. It's sad and embarrassing.

• oldbasketball Draper, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:54 a.m.

Another day, another story about the Mittster. He says he doesn't care what people say about him. He should. Already he is an embarrassment to the state of Utah. And this story comes out on a day where there was a spectacular jobs gain report.

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:37 a.m.

Like many cowboys, my father swore daily. Made me uncomfortable when I got home from my mission. Eventually I wised up, and I'm still trying to be half the man he is.

Trump has his outer flaws, but he's doing a good job. Look at that Mitt, and use your voice for something meaningful.

• bemorefair MH, 00
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:33 a.m.

For those duped by McAdams symbolic vote, do you honestly think he'll vote in favor of the wall? LOL, not a chance.

As for Mitt's critics, please explain where he was wrong. Because, I agreed with everything he said. We need Trump to raise the bar. Yes, he has made two good picks for the SCOTUS. However, I don't see how anyone can be proud of a president who acts so childish and petty. He needs to be more presidential in how he acts, and it is scary how he seems unconcerned with leaving the Middle East in such a precarious situation that would allow the Taliban and ISIS to regroup.

• cowshed Provo, Utah
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:20 a.m.

I voted for Romney for President against Barack Obama, thinking he was a Conservative Republican, but his OpEd sounded more like it could have been written by Obama. I voted for Romney against Ms. Wilson thinking he would support the President I voted for. Like many in the state of Utah, I am concerned about many of Donald Trump's life choices, but I think Trump is working hard to keep his campaign promises, which were why many of us voted for him. The same cannot be said for many members of the House and Senate. I hope Mr. Romney will stop being an self-centered opportunistic headline seeker and will actually support the things our nation needs, like strong border security, a denuclearized North Korea, protection of US technology against theft by China, returning jobs to the US, having the spoiled Europeans pay what they agreed to pay for their own defense, eliminating unnecessary regulations, and supporting our nation's military and those who risk their lives every day for our safety. Those are some things I hope our new senator will get behind.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:13 a.m.

Romney is correct in stating trump needs to up his game, although it's hard to imagine he would at this point.
    Trump is a boss. That's it. He just gets things done, and we've seen no shortage of lists of his 'accomplishments' from his supporters lately.
    He doesn't rise to the level of a manager, which is someone who not only gets things done, but gets things done right. And he certainly doesn't rise to the level of a leader, which is what the presidency so needs and deserves. Leaders do the right things.
    Romney is right. The game needs upped. I just don't see trump up to the game.

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:13 a.m.

Re: Sore Loser

"As Romney’s niece rightly said, give Trump a break. He gets 90% negative coverage by the left "

Seems like simple math to me!

90% negative coverage is actually 100% coverage, because he is a 90 % negative in credibility, ability and performance!

• Jer-Bear , 00
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:12 a.m.

As a voter here in Utah, and having watched Mitt Romney ever since his being Governor in Massachusetts, I would suggest the same advice to Mitt that he has prescribed for President Trump in his unprovoked style of attacks:

I believe it is high time that now Senator Romney should "up his game"!
    He may want to start by reading a good Dale Carnegie "How to make friends and influence People." Because Mitt is acting as a typical & predictable RINO & being obtusely rude to President Trump. The opposite - of what he "should" be doing...

• Not another naysayer Lehi, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 10:03 a.m.

A log of negative feedback rolling through here.

Mitt, I have always voted for you but I feel your comment on President Trump's lack of decorum seemed to lack decorum on your part. I don't like Trump as a person, but he has the right agenda for the most part, so help push Rep values.

Ben, thanks for voting against Pelosi. Now vote for a wall. The resistance by the Dem leadership has nothing to do with the cost but everything to do with politics. The facts are that we need to control our borders. A country with no borders is no country at all.

Shamefully NY Governor Cuomo who claims his grandparents came through Ellis island as illegals has been researched by professional historians and soundly refuted. And they came through the door (Ellis Island) not just pulling up to a port and jumping ship.

Build the wall. Open the doors to refugees and good people. But build the wall.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:59 a.m.

Thanks Ben, for not voting for Nancy Pelosi. Keep your independence and Utah will benefit.

• rubbergoose Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:57 a.m.

Romney can learn from Trump. I learned from a coworker once who smoked, used profanity and had some other negative habits. I first judged him harshly but then I figured out there were many things to learn from him. Similarly Romney can learn from Trump. Mitt should not be too proud too learn. 1) Stand by your convictions and don't flip flop 2) Look at business not just as a way to enrich yourself, buying out companies and the heck with the employees, but make sure those who work for you are taking care of. 3) Do what is best for your country without worrying about not being liked. 4) Lastly Judge not, that ye be not judged. Be an example not a critic.

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:57 a.m.

So in the midst of a political battle with Democrats Romney attacks Trump on the way he says things (he is not a nice man). Less forcefully, however, he says that he agrees with Trump that we need physical barriers on the border with Mexico.

Typical Romney to try to please everyone and not get anything done.

Trump is right not to join Democrats who want to keep the status quo where they say they want border security but do nothing to stop the flow of illegal aliens. Trump has been hard nosed about this issue because that is the only way it can be fixed.

• reasonator Ephraim, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:51 a.m.

In his rhetoric against President Trump, Romney talks abut divisiveness and then proceeds to divide the GOP against itself. Between the never Trumpers and the Trump supporters.

Good job Romney! Perhaps Utahns should stop identifying themselves as Republicans and become Democrats instead? They just elected the equivalent of one.

• BobUtah Draper, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:54 a.m.

I wonder if there is a way to recall Mitt and have a do over.

• Elsleuith Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:22 a.m.

OK, we get the point about President Trump, Senator Romney. Now tell us what you are for. What is your agenda? Do you want to bring home the troops who are in the middle east? Can you provide leadership regarding illegal immigration? Are you in favor of cutting taxes on the rich? How about the insane deficit? While President Trump is taking action on these issues you seem to be nipping at his heels. Time to take a stand on important issues and stop with the criticism. Are you with our President or against?

• Lia , 00
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:04 a.m.

@sore loser.
    NOTHING Romney's niece said was good.

• intrinsicrewards Salem, VA
    Jan. 4, 2019 9:03 a.m.

Mitt says Trump needs to "up his game" on the character issues. The one thing that Trump supporters love about DT is that he says what he means and means what he says. Romney could take a character lesson from that example. Do what you say you are going to do in spite of the political winds and don't be so eager to compromise your principles.
    Trump supporters don't like some of the language he uses but we love that he fights for regular Americans. This is proven by his policies that have greatly improved conditions in the average family on jobs, gasoline prices, taxes, and opportunities. He is trying to improve security at our borders in the face of intense backlash from democrats who are against anything he proposes even though they themselves were for it before being against it.

• GEAnthony RAMAH, NM
    Jan. 4, 2019 8:51 a.m.

Now I see clearly why Romney wrote his op-ed piece in the Times. Reporters rushed to interview him after his swearing in. It's obvious that he always wants to be in the limelight. What's his ulterior motive? Hum....

• Habisha South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 8:46 a.m.

Certainly a person with high character and courage would speak out against Rashida Tlaib's comments and the introduction of Articles of Impeachment!

Who are you Mitt Romney? What do you really stand for?

Remember who gave you this honored office and put their trust in you and who you represent.

• kbee Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 8:47 a.m.

Up your game too Mr. Romney and choose a side to play on. Oh wait, you ran as a Republican. If you were going to be on both sides, you should have made that clear in the debates.

• mohokat , 00
    Jan. 4, 2019 8:23 a.m.

Mitt Romney has parlayed his church membership into a Senate seat and hoping that he can get rebranded and that can lead to another run at President. Why else did he choose to run in Utah? He is unelectable anywhere else. "Couldn't win a debate against a man who thought there were 57 States".

• Robroy Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 8:15 a.m.

I hope Mr. Romney ups his game. I'm already tired of his continued sanctimony.

• BCS , 00
    Jan. 4, 2019 8:16 a.m.

Is this man democrat or republican? I am always leary of politicians that go into office by slandering. Promote the positive. YOUR President endoursed you into office. Support him back.

• one old man MSC, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 8:16 a.m.

Selznik -- your post at 8:08 was one of the best I've read here in a long time.

A great idea.

But, unfortunately, DOA in the Capitol.

• thunderbolt7 Dutch John, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 7:56 a.m.

Illegal immigration costs US taxpayers $116 Billion/year. To pay $5.6 Billion on a border wall is a prudent investment if it will save $116 Billion/year. Wall construction will pay for itself. Could Romney & McAdams join Trump in implementing a vital wall for our national security?

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 7:56 a.m.

Donald J Trump was a lifelong Democrat until he saw the Tea Leaves of the Tea Party and how the got in as the right-Wing of the Republican Party. Sort of like Ross Perot did in 1992.

Except, Trump had a following from television and knew how to use publicity and negative comments toward the other candidates in the Republican Party. He even upped the ante with Hillary.

It also appears he had surrogates that have had indictments and convictions helping the election, with foreign adversaries.

Both, Congressman McAdams and Senator Romney have convictions, experiences and an education that required reading and understanding.

They know governing is more than dictating. It requires working together to improve our country.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    Jan. 4, 2019 7:33 a.m.

Meanwhile...

"The U.S. economy added 312,000 jobs in December according to data released Friday. Economists had expected nonfarm payrolls to rise by 176,000.

The revival of American manufacturing continued in the final month of 2018, a 37 percent rise from the previous year. And it was a jolly season for retail, which added 24,000 jobs for the month. Construction jobs also came in strong, 12 percent higher than the prior year.
    Restaurants and bars decked the halls with new positions, adding 41,000. Health care was the strongest sector for the month, with 50,000 new jobs."

Romney's words from 2016 didn't age so well did they?
    "Trump's proposed 35 percent tariff-like penalties would instigate a trade war and that would raise prices for consumers, kill our export jobs and lead entrepreneurs and businesses of all stripes to flee America."

Proud of your Senator yet, Utah?

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Jan. 4, 2019 7:29 a.m.

This is why our Conservative family voted for Mitt. The sooner we get rid of the rot at the top of the GOP the better. The fact that Trump is holding 800K fed workers hostage for a Wall because Hannity/Coulter/Limbaugh said so, is criminally preposterous.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2019 6:38 a.m.

So the first thing you do when taking a new job is slamming the person who is head of your party? I'm heartsick! I thought Mitt would be a voice for reason and for Utah and instead he is a voice of the dems. He met with the most anti republican channel out there and had his op ed in the Washington Post. They were more than happy to print it. Kind of the little brother of the NYT!
    You fooled Utah. You went around the state pretending to listen to all the voices and you come away with slamming the president. We don't need another Flake in office and it's obvious this is what we got.

• Sore loser Oakland, CA
    Jan. 4, 2019 5:57 a.m.

As Romney’s niece rightly said, give Trump a break. He gets 90% negative coverage by the left wing media which is no picnic. Trump could use an encouraging word a lot more than a judgmental put down.

• California94131 SF, CA
    Jan. 4, 2019 1:35 a.m.

Quote: “There has to be some kind of deal done where the Democrats get something and the Republicans get something. That's the way things are done in Washington,” Romney said.

All of you politicians have it wrong. You (Republican or Democrat) were not elected to ensure that your party got something and the other party got something. You were sent to Washington so that THE AMERICAN PEOPLE would get something - that something being a functioning government that is the servant of the people, provides for the common defense, and promotes the general welfare.

Unfortunately, we know that is NOT "the way things are done in Washington." This is why a Public Policy Poll a few years ago found that Congress ranks lower in public approval than traffic jams, root canals, and cockroaches.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 11:45 p.m.

It is refreshing to see a politician keep his campaign promise.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    Jan. 3, 2019 10:00 p.m.

@imsmarterthanyou

"and the other who pretends to be something else and has 80% of Utah fooled."

Apparently, fooling Utah is not that difficult.

• Miss Piggie , 00
    Jan. 3, 2019 8:33 p.m.

The entire House should-a voted against Pelosi.

• robin138 springfield, VA
    Jan. 3, 2019 8:18 p.m.

When I was a college freshman, I took a Political Science course, and the professor said something which sounded simple and was I have come to believe quite profound. He asked the class for a definition of of politics and got quite a few answers which used great detail in an attempt to define politics. The class shredded them all. Then he gave us his definition: "politics is how who gets what". Readers and followers of the political process need to think about that as they evaluate the newly elected persons of Utah and all the incumbents who have gone to DC. Bismarck said anyone who loves sausage and the law should not watch either being made. It is a brutal and imperfect process we have going on in the USA, but it is the best in the World. How who gets what is not pretty.

• Selznik Saint George, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 8:08 p.m.

dpal - Provo, UT — Nice insight about the proposed $5.6 billion helping the economy by paying those who build it. The same thing would happen if we spent $5.6 billion on national infrastructure, which would also leave us with something useful afterwards.

• JaneB Wilsonville, OR
    Jan. 3, 2019 5:45 p.m.

Romney said what is obvious - a deal needs to be worked on the shutdown. There isn't another way out, and it is what the America people expect. Most Americans do not agree with the shutdown, nor do they feel a wall is necessary.

Time for congress to do it's job, and ignore the extreme voices on both sides.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 5:21 p.m.

"...his campaign promise to keep people (the people of the 4th congressional district in Utah) ahead of Pelosi's politics"

What does that even mean?

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Jan. 3, 2019 5:15 p.m.

@MOMS

I would think that Mitt's salary would make up a small percentage of what he annually donates to charity.

That being said, I still don't like his op-ed. Hope he shows better leadership in the future.

🤔

• Don H. ,
    Jan. 3, 2019 5:03 p.m.

Ben's vote regarding speaker is meaningless. Everyone in the country knew that Pelosi would win including Ben. She didn't need his meaningless vote. Will he keep his campaign promise to keep people (the people of the 4th congressional district in Utah) ahead of Pelosi's politics. That is significantly more important and remains to be seen.

• Bob Tanner Price, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 4:53 p.m.

I support Trump and the wall and the demise of DACA. Immigration into America needs to be well organized not unlike the days of the great European immigration when everyone had to enter through Ellis Island. Some were allowed in and some were not. In those days the immigrants wanted to become Americans. They saluted our flag, learned to speak English and supported our laws and constitution. Today's immigrants want to live side by side, speak only their native language and take our free handouts. Not a very healthy change. So build the wall, forget DACA and lets concentrate on immigrants that want to become citizens and become true Americans.

• Born in Bountiful Provo, Utah
    Jan. 3, 2019 4:30 p.m.

Don't you love that first thing Sen. Romney promises is to vote with Pres. Trump on the money wasting wall? Didn't he just criticize Trump yesterday?

• TruthBTold SLC, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 4:26 p.m.

Anyone who thinks McAdams' vote against Pelosi was more than his way of "keeping his (meaningless) campaign promise" (which was useless since he knew she would be elected), is only fooling themselves.

McAdams will be as insignificant in Congress as his vote against Pelosi was. Those of us who live in his District will feel the neglect. I hope the 50.1% are proud of their decision.

• Um Actually... Provo, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 4:09 p.m.

The truth is that as a Democrat, McAdams chooses to caucus with the Democrat party, which holds the House majority and elected Pelosi house speaker, without opposition. So in a meaningful way, Ben McAdams helped Pelosi get elected House Speaker, even if he winked and voted another way.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 2:48 p.m.

"...acknowledging beforehand that it was symbolic since Pelosi had the votes as Democrats took control of the House ..."

In other words, McAdams can claim he kept his promise, because it made no difference. He is still a minion of the Liberal-Left.

• Fabulous Jen Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 2:43 p.m.

I hope you'll enjoy your windowless, basement, cubby-hole office in the Congressional Office Building, Mr. McAdams.

You'll have two years to think about "symbolism" down there.

• dpal Provo, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 2:37 p.m.

A lot of people seem to think the $5.6 billion that President Trump is asking for his border wall is a waste of money. On the contrary, it would provide jobs for thousands of people and the money would be pumped back into the US economy, so it's not like it would be burned or flushed down the toilet. I don't see why Congress and the President can't come to a compromise where the President gets his wall and the Democrats gets some concession like a path to citizenship for the Dreamers. That would make both sides happy and the government could get back to work. Rep Curtis has a great proposed bill that provides for the withholding of salaries of all congressmen anytime thre is a government shutdown. Why should they be paid if government workers' salaries are affected by the actions (or inaction) of Congress? Republican Senate and Democratic House--there's no reason why they can't find ways to compromise. The country has been doing that since its inception.

• dpal Provo, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 2:25 p.m.

Glad to see McAdams rejecting Pelosi. While I am not a Democrat, I believe there are a lot of Democrats in the House who are more centrist and would do a much better job of building bridges and working out compromises that Pelosi. McAdams has shown he's not afraid to vote his conscience as a Freshman congressman rather than being a liberal yes man.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 1:45 p.m.

Flipphone - Sandy, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 12:07 p.m.
    Thanks to the Utah Republican party,we Conservative were forced to hold our noise and vote for Romney.

--------
    Thanks to fake-conservatives who voted for a democrat-Trump, I voted for none of the three democrats (Trump, Hillary, nor Bernie), and voted for the only candidate who didn't require holding my nose.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 12:36 p.m.

If McAdams can't read the tea leaves in Congress, he won't have a good experience. Now he cast his protest vote, it's time to get on board with Pelosi. She is a force like no one else in Washington. I would rather be with her than on the Trump/Titantic ship.

@ Flipphone, wasn't there a Republican primary? And you could have voted for Wilson. She would have been a fine Senator.

My, it seems many on the right are bitter people....

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 12:14 p.m.

@ MOMS - Salt Lake City, UT,

I'm not a fan of Romney, but your comment doesn't make much sense. Why should he work for free? What charity do you donate your salary to? Donating your salary to charity has nothing to do with good character. There are millions of people of great character who donate nothing to charity. On the other hand there are lots of people who are pure evil who donate millions to charity.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 12:12 p.m.

Yup, two democrats from Utah. One who actually admits it, and the other who pretends to be something else and has 80% of Utah fooled.

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 12:07 p.m.

• MOMS Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 3, 2019 11:15 a.m.

Character being important to Sen. Romney, to what charity will he be donating his Senate salary?