Ben McAdams says 'bittersweet' goodbye to Salt Lake County mayor's office

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 30, 2018 12:58 p.m.

I liked his claim that he lowered property taxes while county mayor (sarcasm). Taking credit for things he didn’t do (and actually fought against) and making up the opponent’s voter record in the debates all while sounding very composed and elequent is classic politician. I’m sure he’ll fit in well in the swamp.

• loweye salt lake, UT
    Dec. 30, 2018 11:49 a.m.

Dixie Dan,

Unless you have the wrong address or perhaps live in the 4th district during the summer, you have no dog in this fight.

It always gets me when people tell me what so-and-so will do when they have done nothing yet. Give McAdams a chance and see how things go. He can't be any worse than Mia, and do you think that she would have had any influence with the dems?

I think McAdams made a good mayor and will make a good representative.

BTW, I emailed Mia and got no answer just like so many others. Not impressed.

And no matter what she has said on national television, she did not lose because of racism.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 30, 2018 10:57 a.m.

@DN Subscriber

"He will be under intense pressure from Pelosi and the party bosses to do things "their way" and like Jimmy Matheson will end up coerced into voting for very liberal bills when they need him, but sometimes allowed to vote "Utah values" when his vote is not needed."

Just a thought: Maybe "very liberal bills" and "Utah values" are closer to each other than you'd like to believe.

Things like protecting our environment and caring for the poor and needy are both "very liberal" and "Utah values." That's why more people voted for McAdams than any other candidate.

• MacD slc, UT
    Dec. 30, 2018 10:27 a.m.

Mia Love would have won this razor tight race had she allowed Trump to help her with a rally in the last weeks of the race. She showed poor judgement.
    She showed her true colors with her absent voting record after she lost. Those votes were important and she chose to to leave Washington DC and not vote on behalf of her constituents.
    A democrat like Ben McAdams is better than a republican like Mia Love.

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 30, 2018 7:57 a.m.

Mia's voting record after losing the election speaks volumes about how dedicated she really was to serving the people. I wish Ben well . He has a lovely family.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 4:43 p.m.

Ben was a good Mayor and I would have voted for him again.

"I'm going to continue to serve," he said. "I'll be in a different role and a different title, but I'm still the same person and I'm here to try to solve the challenges to keep our community the great place we know it to be."

But, while he was good here, going to play in the swamp that is Congress, it is an entirely different world. He will be under intense pressure from Pelosi and the party bosses to do things "their way" and like Jimmy Matheson will end up coerced into voting for very liberal bills when they need him, but sometimes allowed to vote "Utah values" when his vote is not needed. He cannot change the national Democrat party, but they can sure change him.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 4:19 p.m.

Ben,
    Don't forget who you are when you get back to the swamp and work on draining it and on the corruption even if it means you only get one term. Don't get sucked into the D.C. sickness and dysfunction. These things will be your greatest challenges more so than the problems in the country and the world.

• 1conservative Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 4:02 p.m.

I don't think McAdams will have much relevance, but he's worth a try.

Mia Love certainly didn't do much even though she had the spotlight easy enough.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 2:49 p.m.

@JohnnyTriumph:
    "Johnny Triumph - Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 1:28 p.m.
    I'm so checked out of all this...Mia was a horrible representative and Ben will prove no differently. And now we're stuck with a Democrat in the office, one who pledged to stand for our values but who will soon show his true colors."

What? What is our "our values". He's a Democrat, you expect him to stand for the GOP? He was elected by an almost 50/50 split. 50% of people may have different values. Ben's a mormon-I'm not. I voted for him. Do I expect him to stand for mormon values? No. I expect Ben to stand for HIS values, much different and more ethical than Utah GOP values. I expect him to do what is best for his district. And, I believe that he will.

• brotherJonathan SLC, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 2:43 p.m.

Replying to @UTHighwayPatrol
    "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

What does this pledge mean to U &
    @UtahAG @GovHerbert,@utahsenate,@UtahReps
    @senorrinhatch @SenMikeLee

(with 3 photos- all stamped received, 2 filed with Utah Justice Paige Petersen,
    all stamped by UAG Sean Reyes)
    Filed Ethics Test - proof of Corp. Bribery Intent
    Filed -Drug Offenders "Evidence"- proof of innocence by violating unconstitutional Drug Monopoly Law.
    Filed - Dr. Survey for Unborn right to life - by Evidence proving through science experts/doctors... When life begins for all higher life forms.
    Photo shows UAG Reyes & myself holding the Dr. Survey w/photo of 28 week old preemie laughing. Stamped Jan.11, 2016.)

Proofs Ben McAdams, Rep. Mia Love, the list above & US Attorney John Huber, 3 federal judges Nuffer, Shelby & Waddoups, DA Sim Gill, & every news media here in SLC,UT
    Having knowledge but remain silent~
    is so terrible I fear for their souls

Replying to @jonnyricola @UTHighwayPatrol and 6 others
    Tell me & the public - What the pledge allegiance- means to you?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 2:14 p.m.

I'm glad he's leaving. I'm just not glad that he's going to Congress.

I don't feel that someone that lives outside of my district is going to do the best job of representing me.

He should have moved into the district.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 1:59 p.m.

@Red Smith - American Fork, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 7:38 a.m.
    McAdams wouldn't meet with us when he was the Mayor.
    McAdams won't meet with us when he's in Congress."

Who is us? You don't live in his Mayoral district. You won't live in his congressional district. He's never represented you, and he won't in congress. Mia Love, however, never met or returned calls, emails or letters from constituents in her district.
    McAdams was a great SL County mayor.

• Mr. Mac South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 1:47 p.m.

I wish him the best of luck but he also needs to remember not to do what Mia Love did & forget the people of Utah & the voters who put him in office because it could be a short lived victory!

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 1:28 p.m.

I'm so checked out of all this...Mia was a horrible representative and Ben will prove no differently. And now we're stuck with a Democrat in the office, one who pledged to stand for our values but who will soon show his true colors. Neither was a good choice in the election and now we're stuck.

• brotherJonathan SLC, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 1:05 p.m.

I like Ben- he has done some good things while Mayor-
    But Ben & Rep.Mia Love-
    Have broken their most sacred vows_To defend our Constitution & Bill of Rights.

I did run against them for the 4th District US Congress this 2018 election:
    I was listed on line as the only other candidate - as a write-in.
    My purpose was to defend our Constitution__currently being violated by society & Gov.

My research into Violations of Constitutional Law- Have yielded Legal Proofs -
    to use in any US Court.
    The proofs are in 1page survey for legal or court recognized experts -
    to state under oath - if Corporate Bribery or Drug Monopoly Law or
    a Dr. Survey (unborn right to life) showing scientifically when life begins for higher life forms.

These proofs are filed - just like a good lawyer would do- notarized & stamped received by all 3 branches of Utah & Federal Government.
    In other words- there is a court record , a legislative record, a executive branch record:
    that will prove - most of your public officials - have knowledge to end Constitution Violations _but refuse to do their duty.
    I handed these proofs to Ben McAdams in person many times
    I have his stamped received duplicates -
    Ask him- cTr

• Suttree Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 11:11 a.m.

Some changes in life are always bittersweet. Yet what he will learn and how he will grow is worth it IMO. Glad he won over Mia. Hope he enjoys the memories and continues to move forward to greater challenges in life.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 7:38 a.m.

McAdams wouldn't meet with us when he was the Mayor.

McAdams won't meet with us when he's in Congress.

McAdams won't meet with us when he runs for Utah Governor.

It's hardly a goodbye when McAdams never said hello.

• Sandy Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 7:35 a.m.

Fare thee well, Congressman McAdams. You were a great county mayor and will be missed.

• Dixie Dan St George, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 7:10 a.m.

I'm sure McAdams will have a warm and fuzzy with the new Speaker of the House. By his campaign rhetoric, he will have little influence, if any, with the Madam Speaker. Utah will suffer because of this IMHO.