Astounding Vegas run proves Donny and Marie still have it — together

Gig initially booked for 6 weeks will finally wrap up after 11-plus years

• M_Hawke Golden, CO
    Jan. 4, 2019 12:42 a.m.

@eastcoastcoug I'm a music teacher and while you paid tribute to one part of my profession, you showed complete ignorance of the other. I will tell you unequivocally that any performing art is a lot of hard work, but when it is a professional performance that is a business, that increases the hard work exponentially. You also discredit Donny and Marie's hard work by failing to realize that it for them, it has been 55 years of hard work. I also take offense because most school administrators and even fellow teachers of other disciplines do the same thing to me, discredit what I and my students do because "it's only music" and therefore, must be easy.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 10:20 p.m.

Wow You can tell they both had plastic surgery. It doesn't even look like them.

• Newlin Sandy, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 6:11 p.m.

My wife and I saw them at the Flamingo not too long after Marie’s (and Brian Blosil’s) son died — although obviously still grieving she came onstage and put on a great show (and looked great from our seats just below the stage) with Donny; even though my wife got a picture taken with Donny’s arm around her after the show, she still went home with me...

Then a couple years ago we saw them again, this time at Sandy Amphitheater; it wasn’t quite Vegas, but enjoyable (and a lot cheaper) nonetheless.

• Mayfair Logan, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 1:25 p.m.

Friends in Oklahoma were baffled when Donny and Marie came to perform in a cassino there ON A SUNDAY.

Direct quote from these non-LDS friends:
    "I thought you said your prophet says you guys are to keep the Sabbath day holy. Does he make exceptions for Donnie and Marie?"

• Suttree Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 11:33 a.m.

Good for them. Didn't realize it had been that long and seems they still put on a wonderful show. One woman wrote that how can they perform in "sin city" and be part of the Latter Day Saints?

I respond by saying something Donnie said. He could of made a lot more money in Hollywood if he chose to go against his values and those of the church he belongs to. I really respect him for that and just because he in Vegas doesn't change anything about his integrity.

• Nichol Draper West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 29, 2018 5:37 a.m.

I took my wife to see them for one of our anniversaries. I enjoyed it more than any other show I've seen in Vegas, and their show wasn't very expensive to get great seats. Too bad that their show is ending. Hopefully they will stretch their ending year out long enough that I'll have time to see it again.

• Applelovernow Henderson, NV
    Dec. 28, 2018 8:31 p.m.

The part that was left out of the article is the contribution both Donny and Marie make to the community of Las Vegas. They have both been involved in numerous local charities and Marie and her husband Steve, served in the Las Vegas Temple. Over the decades I have lived here, there have been many performers who have come into the community to perform, but given very little back. That cannot be said of Donny and Marie. Thank you, you have been appreciated by your neighbors.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 5:39 p.m.

eastcoastcoug, obviously, you have never performed.

I've been a musician for over 50 years. Mostly in choirs. Started when I was 10. I have spent over those years tens of thousands of hours performing and rehearsing, with rehearsing taking up the bulk of the time. Sometimes the rehearsals go on for hours. Especially when you get closer to performances. It is long and grueling. Plus the mental aspect of it. That includes memorizing music and if needed on stage moves. Same with some of the musicals I've been in. And that doesn't include other types of gigs I've done. Including a lot of soloing in church. After performances, I'm spent physically and mentally.

I also played in a rock band for over 14 years, mostly local. I spent in those 14 years, outside of my choir practices (no it wasn't the Mo Tab), again thousands of yours rehearsing and performing. Playing three hour gigs with one break in the middle is physically taxing. It is hard, and it is worth every minute you spend doing it.

I love doing it and I get a lot of satisfaction out of a great performance. Keeps me going.

Yep, performing is really easy.

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 4:29 p.m.

I haven't been a big fan of Donnie and Marie in the past, but by now they're such an institution I really do wish they'd keep performing. And may all good things come to them for the future, no matter what they decide to do.

• VKI Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 28, 2018 4:18 p.m.

I've been to their show once and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 3:03 p.m.

Tickets refunded, but stuck with airfare and hotel to stay in a city my wife and I really don't enjoy. The second trip we did get tickets to Cirque du Soleil which was pretty good.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Dec. 28, 2018 2:52 p.m.

@BigBlue

You received no refund for your tickets?

🤔

• ibulleti Layton, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 2:33 p.m.

Go Big Blue!!! If you managed to hit two cancellations in two tries, I hope you scored big in the casino! Congrats to the Osmonds on their success.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Dec. 28, 2018 1:44 p.m.

@eastcoast

Of course, anyone is welcome to give all the credit they want to any profession or anyone they want.

That should not minimize nor diminish what anyone else has done including Donny and Marie and all of the other Osmond's.

Saw their show a couple of months ago. Their HARD WORK was readily manifested. They deserve all that they have attained as a result of that work and their dedication.

Thanks Donny and Marie!

🤗

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 1:36 p.m.

My wife loves Donnie and Marie. Two different years I bought tickets, booked flights and a room to see them for my Wife's birthday in March. Both times the show was cancelled. The first time it was right before the show was to start and it was too late to get tickets for anything else. The second time I received an email the day before we left that the show was cancelled. Out a few hundred bucks each time. Still bitter about it.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 1:21 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug: "I know this is a great milestone for an entertainer, but I'm sorry, 'hard work' is what construction people, teachers, physical therapists and other kinds of workers do. "

Do you realize you've just done to entertainers exactly what teachers most often complain about: Having the difficulty of their work minimized by people who know very little about it?

All work is easy....for the man who doesn't do it.

What is said too often about teachers? "Summers and Christmas off. Reading stories to kids. Sounds like an easy gig."

The recent article about the Osmond brothers points out that a couple of them are quite happy living in very modest homes, one of them on social security alone, rather than continuing to work regularly in the business.

Entertainers don't get to have bad days. Nobody pays $200 to see Donny or Marie depressed or tired or worried about their families.

It's like golf or basketball. The matches don't look so bad. Very few see the champions hitting 2 buckets of balls in terrible weather or getting up early every day to shoot 200 free throws before hitting the gym.

All honest work is honorable. Don't diminish it because it is different than you do.

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 1:12 p.m.

Sorry to hear that they are going to close their show at the flamingo.

• Nephiwon Crown Point Essex, NY
    Dec. 28, 2018 10:40 a.m.

Sounds like they are among the many wonderful people the world over. Absolutely a class act.

• KrankyFrank Draper, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 10:40 a.m.

Thanks Donny and Marie for your great example and uncompromising principles taught by your parents and your Mormon (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints beliefs). While so many famous celebrities degrade as they advance in their careers, you have continued providing excellent entertainment, without the change.

I grew up in Provo, and was there when you purchased the Riviera apartments. It was rumored Donny would attend my Junior High School. I’ve always felt bad this didn’t occur, whether it was Donny’s choice or the attitude of my school friends, I still hurt.

As far as “hard work” being limited to “what construction people, teachers, physical therapists and other kinds of workers do”, I think is funny. I can’t imagine running a show Tuesday thru Saturday for 10 years, Donny living in Provo and traveling every Saturday night. Keeping their act “unique” and different so it does not grow old. This is the hardest work I can think of and believe it is unfair to call it otherwise.

Best wishes to the Osmond family and to Donny and Marie as they continue to shine forth in a sea of sleaze and vice.

• Not another naysayer Lehi, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 9:40 a.m.

Great entertainers. Great examples of holding onto faith while working in an industry where moral compromise is so commonplace.

Hold on! Hang in there you two!

• HowlingDog Ivins, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 9:13 a.m.

They will be very much missed.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 28, 2018 8:58 a.m.

Love the Osmonds.

I got into more doors and talked to more people on my mission in 1977 to 1979 in the Midwest because of them, and their show at the time, than anything else. Best missionary tool ever. Glad they have survived the fame storm and stayed true to their character and faith.

I have not seen them in person but may have to make a trip to Vegas to see them before the show ends.

Thanks for all you do

• iluvnz Vernal, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 8:47 a.m.

@eastcoastcoug

Giving credit to "people who teach our children, and build society and the homes we live in" is worthy of being mentioned for sure. They are the foundation of our society and nothing should be taken away from that. However, learning dances, songs, overseeing all the intricacies of backstage and onstage happenings, etc should not be marginalized. I can only imagine how much work, time and energy it would take to put on a show so entertaining as to last 10 + years in an extremely competitive and cutthroat industry. Donny and Marie deserve to get credit for hard work.

• Burrito Barbs , 00
    Dec. 28, 2018 8:41 a.m.

Donny and Marie have always been some of our favorites. I wish we had the big bucks to go see them. Their high standards are a beacon for good in the world. They have great talent, high values and are an asset to the entertainment industry.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Dec. 28, 2018 7:17 a.m.

I know this is a great milestone for an entertainer, but I'm sorry, 'hard work' is what construction people, teachers, physical therapists and other kinds of workers do. Yeah, it's a lot of time and effort to learn dance moves, memorize lines, keep your voice in shape, etc., but let's be realistic and give more credit to people who teach our children, and build society and the homes we live in who make a fraction of an entertainment/sports salary.

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 5:14 a.m.

Congratulations to the Osmonds

• JaneB Wilsonville, OR
    Dec. 27, 2018 11:42 p.m.

There's always been something a little bit captivating about Donny and Marie. I'm not surprised at their popularity in Vegas.