It was a historic year for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Here's a look back at 2018's major moments

• JaneB Wilsonville, OR
    Jan. 3, 2019 2:24 p.m.

So days ago, I wrote that the church was not confronting the big questions. Apparently, I was wrong. The temple changes yesterday are big.

• Choose_The_Right Layton, UT
    Jan. 2, 2019 1:00 p.m.

Nice summary of 2018. You forgot to include the 20 Dec 2018 policy that allows sister missionaries to wear dress pants.

• Arizona Auntie ,
    Jan. 1, 2019 12:31 p.m.

It was indeed a memorable year -> Hurrah for President Nelson! I worry, though, that the Church will lose even more members that it already has because of the pressure to do so much more at home: Many will fall away, will not do their scripture study, will not train their youngsters, will just not do what they are supposed to do. Being an "all-in" member is hard work when the Church is the focus, and will be even harder when the family is the focus. Personally, I am "all-in" and will follow our Prophet no matter what, but "strait is the gate, and narrow is the way" and I'm afraid a lot of members are going to get filtered out by that funnel. That 16 million figure is already a sham; having been the one to try to track down the inactives in more than one unit of the Church, I can testify that we have somewhere between 33% and 50% of our "members" who are, realistically, not members at all---they got baptized but didn't make the full commitment, and now even hide from the Church. I hope some of the coming changes include "raising the bar" for getting baptized and lowering expectations on missionaries re the number of baptisms; that is, emphasize convert commitment, not numbers.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Dec. 30, 2018 4:31 p.m.

One comment said the ordinances don't change, and that is true, but policies and procedures do, as needs change. When the pioneers came west, they were a village, per say. Today the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is a world wide church, with many different cultures, ethnicities and varying needs, and a church that does not adjust to changing challenges can not claim to be inspired of God. Anyone that is not biased against the church can easily see that these changes are wise and prudent. Also, NINETEEN new temples announced in one year is breath taking, IMHO. This is a great time to be alive to witness these events.

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 5:49 p.m.

The principles and ordinances don't seem to change to me, but the Church of Jesus Christ is all about changing my heart. After all, isn't that what it's all about anyway? All these changes seem to better point me towards Jesus Christ. I can't do anything but try and follow after them. Since one commenter quoted Luke 17, I'll quote: "Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together." I want to be with the eagles!

• Kaladin Northern, CO
    Dec. 28, 2018 3:32 p.m.

I know it is true - why should I hedge that by saying I believe?

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 28, 2018 2:16 p.m.

Truth is nothing changed, that matters. The LGBT community is still discriminated against and Utah still leads the nation in male teenage suicides with a high percentage of those deaths linked to issues with same sex attraction. The driving force is the dominant religion of Utah.

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 1:17 p.m.

When I was a young Mormon boy I asked my bishop this question, " How do you know that the Church is true and his answer was. because it never changes".

• sharrona layton, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 12:25 p.m.

RE: ute alumni “ You either believe or don’t, true. The 40th anniversary of the 1978 revelation on the priesthood.

Martin Luther King Jr,” a person should be judged by his or her character, not by skin color. There is no place in the life of the Christian for favoritism (Priesthood of all believers 1 Peter 2:9 Martin Luther) based not on race (James 2:1–10). In fact, the biblical perspective is that there is only one “race”—the human race, with everyone having descended from Adam and Eve.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 12:06 p.m.

It’s sad when someone doesn’t believe in something that they feel the need to condemn or criticize. If I don’t believe in something I really don’t care what the believers do or don’t do. You either believe or don’t. It’s that easy.

• JaneB Wilsonville, OR
    Dec. 28, 2018 10:22 a.m.

One of the major 2018 happenings that was not mentioned in the article was the Joseph Bishop incident. I feel like it was swept under the rug, and the church essentially said "nothing to see here". But there was plenty to see, as we know from the transcript.

Unfortunate, in this current climate of society beginning to believe women. Sexual assault victims in the church need to know that they will be believed, supported, and are safe.

• JaneB Wilsonville, OR
    Dec. 28, 2018 10:18 a.m.

"Eat your vitamin pills. Get your rest. It's going to be exciting."

So far, not that exciting, although I agree with the policy changes that have been made. Most were long overdue. Policy and procedure changes are not exciting. They are simply necessary. It would be exciting if we had some big questions confronted. That doesn't seem to be the plan, though, and I understand how hard that is.

The Come Follow Me youth lessons changes from 6 years ago were exciting because the updated lesson content is more relevant, and more focused on true gospel principles. (Some things the old YW lessons focused on were just plain wrong-headed.) There is still room for improvement: the YM lessons remain much more leadership focused than the YW's.

A change I would like to see is no more one-on-one youth interviews, and no more sexual questions about worthiness.

But yes. I applaud the changes so far.

• chhs2 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 28, 2018 8:23 a.m.

I wish President Nelson would caution Saints to express their testimony more accurately. When young children say "I know that ... is true" it would be more accurate to say, "I believe" or "I have faith". The members could then follow this up with "because..." Probably not in the works, but who "knows."

• CMTM , 00
    Dec. 28, 2018 8:16 a.m.

RE: Obama10 –“We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God, ‘and Messiah’s second coming.” Original Article of Faith #9.

• Heraclitus Prescott, AZ
    Dec. 28, 2018 8:10 a.m.

@Obama10 – “and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.”

He already did (Luke 17:21) but few understand, let alone do anything about it.

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 27, 2018 10:58 p.m.

A year to remember!! No member will ever forget it.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Dec. 27, 2018 7:36 p.m.

"What's past is prologue." In modern-day English, that means "You ain't seen nothin' yet."

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Dec. 27, 2018 2:15 p.m.

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God. Article of Faith #9.

• Traveller Farmington, UT
    Dec. 27, 2018 2:05 p.m.

President Nelson has certainly shown that he's not afraid to change things. We keep trying to guess what will be next. One of my friends was astonished when his prediction of "two-hour church" proved correct.

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    Dec. 27, 2018 12:35 p.m.

It has been a fantastic year in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Thanks for the summary of major events.