Utah Jazz's 'rowdy' fan base back in spotlight among NBA stars such as Kevin Durant, Steph Curry

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• WJ_Coach West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 25, 2018 1:53 a.m.

My mom was a season ticket holder from 1983-2014 until her health issues prevented her from attending. We never once heard any racial putdowns being yelled at the players. There was definitely foul language and verbal sparring between the fans and players. We were at all the playoff games in 2007 even the spiritual return of Derek Fisher who lead the jazz to an OT victory. I asked my wife and mom their recollection of the games too not one person remembers hearing any racial words being yelled at any of the Golden State players (not saying it didn’t happen). Most of the security guards and users will come over and ask fans to calm down and watch the tone of their language if some gets said that could be crossing the line. Jazz fans are the epitome of the term fanatics but overall they will yell at you all game then shake your hand and tell you great game after a hard defeat... usually

• rhodger Cedar City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2018 2:56 p.m.

The NBA and those complaining superstars might do well to consider the constant breaks they are getting from the NBA referees rather than ragging on the crowd. Nevertheless some fans go out of bounds and they ought to be ashamed regardless of what arena we are talking about.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2018 2:14 p.m.

I've gone to Jazz games for more than 40 years. Never once have I heard a "racist" comment. Ever......

• Dutch58 ,
    Dec. 24, 2018 12:35 p.m.

What with no other major league professional teams in Utah its easy to compute why fans are rabid, but to think for a moment that they are more so than the other 32 teams in the NBA is just another beautiful example of Utah provincialism. What cracks me up is that immediately upon its brag column, the Jazz go out and lose to OKC at home. Of course, the endless excuses of "toughest schedule in the NBA" and "back to back games" and "played a top contender tough" are the default phrases of the day. I remember one year Cincinnati Bengals had a solid year (compare to Utah Jazz's end of season run last year) and suddenly they are the talk of the league as a contender. Never came back from those days, just like the Jazz is likely to remain in the middle of mediocrity. However, their fans, not knowing the difference will continue to embarrass themselves. I look forward to seeing this unfold.

• 96 U Flower Mound, TX
    Dec. 24, 2018 12:00 p.m.

Basketball being boring leads to boorish behavior.

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Dec. 24, 2018 10:38 a.m.

I've found that it's incredibly easy to get a fan thrown out for boorish behavior and I make it my mission to do so at least once every few games. You simply text the row area and something specific about how the person is dressed. In the box labeled "discribe"-- I simply write "N word"--or "Personal hate speech" or "Female body part talk"--or, when you go to get a Sprite, hand the usher a note describing all, including row and seat. Say something like, "I'd normally take care of this kind of nonsense myself, but I'm going to leave this Bozo to the pros." (Ushers love it when you call them pro's.)
    I have succeeded in having over 10 fans removed over a 10 year period of attending about 32 games. That's a ratio of one fan removed for every three games attended and if you don't think I'm one proud little scout--you are wrong.
    Let's go Jazz fans! Keep it clean and keep it real or keep it out of my area.
    P5Proud out.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 24, 2018 10:01 a.m.

I've also seen them on full display at Ute games!

• No Longer a Fan Evans, GA
    Dec. 24, 2018 12:41 a.m.

Is "rowdy" an accurate description?
    Is it because there are "not that many that cross the line"?

Crowd dignity can go down the drain with just a few that "act like they are at home" and not out in public.

I say "act like you've been somewhere . . . .".

• No Longer a Fan Evans, GA
    Dec. 24, 2018 12:28 a.m.

I had season tickets when I lived in Seattle for the two straight years the SuperSonics played the Washington Bullets for the NBA Championship (lost the 1st yr. & won the 2nd).
    I was one that "let the referees know when I disagreed with them".

I lived in West Valley for eleven years where I became a fan (I don't like that word) because of Jerry; John; Karl; Jeff and others from those years. The only Jazz games I saw was on TV.

Since Jerry left, my enthusiasm for the way the game is played now - has dwindled to only the Utah Jazz. People that know basketball (and know me), know that the only team I follow these days is the Jazz.

Those individuals that "cross the line in their enthusiasm" are an embarrassment to me, and I do not want to be considered "with them".

• ultragrampa Farmington, UT
    Dec. 23, 2018 8:37 p.m.

I am often embarrassed by the boorish behaviour of the "fans" around me when I go to Jazz games. I would go to more, cuz I love the game and I love love love the team. But the experience is often ruined by the uncivilized folks who treat other other teams' players as sub-human enemies, not worthy of even the most basic respect.

Salt Lake City is a beautiful place; the whole State of Utah is incredible. It's a shame folks like these give us such a bad name.