Utah Utes offensive coordinator Troy Taylor named Sacramento State's new head coach

• Ute TE , 00
    Dec. 19, 2018 7:47 p.m.

Hey Whit
    Just find someone that doesn’t run the dive on first down 80% of the time. Any Opposing DC can stop that if they follow your tendencies! Been killing us for years!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 18, 2018 4:02 p.m.

“but people in our area know that he wasn't thrilled working with Whittingham”

Provide irrefutable evidence of this being factual.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 18, 2018 12:39 p.m.

sammyg - Springville, UT
    Dec. 18, 2018 6:34 a.m.
    And how many OC's did the Utes run through since becoming part of the PAC 10.2 ?

I've lost track, please help me!

----

8 OCs

8 wins over the cupcake down south

9th is comming

• Lester L. Wester , 00
    Dec. 18, 2018 11:58 a.m.

Too of the World: "2. He can recruit anyone he wants."

To Sacramento State? Good luck with that.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 18, 2018 10:57 a.m.

I haven’t heard the “PAC 10.2” in quite a few years. Where ya been Sammy? How’s that independent .001 working out?

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Dec. 18, 2018 10:52 a.m.

It's an odd move, but people in our area know that he wasn't thrilled working with Whittingham, and $625k is plenty in this area.

The funny thing is that Sacramento isn't a football town. There is sac state, uc Davis, I think Sierra College has a team now, but it's not real news. We're not a big sports city since the kings took an ugly turn a decade ago.

This isn't like coaching in Texas, nobody hears about the team.

But, Troy comes home to his roots, he's a huge name and gets a solid garuntee salary, and can run his own show. That's the win for him.

I've worked for myself and worked for others, I prefer working for myself.

Maybe I'll catch a few games next year, he was legendary coaching in high school here.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 18, 2018 10:07 a.m.

Sammy:

How many times have your cougs lost to the Utes of the “PAC 10.2”?

I’ve lost track, please help me!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 18, 2018 6:34 a.m.

I've lost track, please help me!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 18, 2018 12:41 a.m.

Now the offensive coordinators aren't even waiting to be fired at Utah. They just leave on their own.

• Leonidas Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 10:49 p.m.

Another ute coach decides to trade up. Some thing is wrong in uteville.

• Eddie Would Go , 00
    Dec. 17, 2018 8:12 p.m.

Utah has a lot of talent returning next year, but with a lot of coaching turnover, it may unfortunately go to waste.

• top of the world ,
    Dec. 17, 2018 5:33 p.m.

He took a rather huge step down, but then I look at the reasons.

1. Now he's a head coach.
    2. He can recruit anyone he wants.
    3. He can create and install exactly the kind of offense he wants.
    4. His family is back home.
    5. We really do not know precisely how much less he will earn. That figure may now be out but I couldn't find it. With salary and bonus he earned $612,500 is past season with the Utes. There are some very wealthy folks in the Sac area and we will never know just how much he is paid over and above.
    6. He is going to be a great head coach. I was stoked when Coach Whit hired him and this next year was going to be a super season for the Utes, barring injuries.

Perhaps is wasn't the 'step down' that it appears to be at first glance.

Best of success, Head Coach Taylor. It will be fun to follow your success. Give our best to Tom Hanks, alumnus of the Sacramento State Hornets.

Go Hornets.

• Mountainman38 Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 17, 2018 5:03 p.m.

Coaching at the top college level is one of the most stressful occupations on the planet. To reach the highest level, most coaches at the top had to uproot their families many times, travel long hours, and have their success measured by the whims of teenagers. And you are tested each week in front of a national audience.

In the past coaches could get a month or so to relax and take a vacation with the family. Now they get little or no vacation and the hours are long and often on the road. The rewards are great, but sooner or later you probably will be fired and trashed by the media. Are you sure you and your family want the job?

Troy Taylor made decision to get off the career coaching ladder to a big-time HC job. Now he will have a lot more time with his family and he can drive two or three hours for nearly all of his recruiting trips. Yeah, it was a big paycut. But look at what Coach Gary A. gave up to return to Utah, or what Urban Meyer is giving up.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 4:44 p.m.

@JD - Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 17, 2018 1:34 p.m.
    "Most Ute fans are not sad at the loss of Troy Taylor. Truth!"

Speak for yourself. Most Utah fans I know really liked TT and are worried now that he is gone.

Our offense was improving, found an identity, found a rhythm and was putting up points. I'd love to have seen what a 3rd season with TT would have been like.

But that's college football.

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Dec. 17, 2018 4:47 p.m.

Troy Taylor likes to throw the ball. The Utes WERE throwing the ball. Nobody was catching the ball. The Utes returned to smash mouth football and ran the ball down peoples throats and won. The tight ends became more involved. Britian Covey became a go-to guy. Long, downfield passes still didn't happen with much regularity and they often were still dropped. I can't believe that this was the offense that Coach Taylor was envisioning but he did well play calling with what he was asked to do. His line began to pass block almost as well as they opened holes. In short--we are not getting 4 star pass catchers and should be content with talented wr's who can make a brilliant play from time to time but not on a consistent basis. Utah needs to be what it has been forever. Aim for a little more balance with the throw game but pitch and catch if necessary and really keep them guessing with your ground game which includes QB's who are athletes. Who knows? Maybe a once a decade receiver will spring up through the ranks, but the next OC at Utah better figure out that the offensive identity is probably going to remain the same. Best of luck to Coach Taylor and the Hornets.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 4:38 p.m.

I am sorry to see coach Taylor go. I have no idea what the factors were in his decision, but he could have been great for Utah. I will say that having a head coach who wants to feature the run game coupled with an OC who prefers to feature the passing attack is not a good formula for success.

As a side note, any one who watches the pro game will quickly see that the passing game is a big part of every pro team out there. Even the running backs have to be good pass catchers to make it in the pros.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Dec. 17, 2018 4:00 p.m.

My hope is that Utah AD Mark Harlan fires Whittingham today! This absurd!!! He is not what Utah needs at all! Hire Lane and Monty Kiffen!

• pacmidmajor Springville, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 3:35 p.m.

Wow 11 OC'S in the last 13 years ! I will bet there is a lot of interest out there to be the 12th ........

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 3:18 p.m.

Sanefan "Another December and another new OC at Utah."
    That's the last thing a Cougar fan wants to hear, right? New OC, beat BYU. New OC, Beat BYU. Give them an OC, beat BYU. New OC, beat BYU.

"If he's making more as an HC at Sacramento State than an OC at Utah and money is his motivation, good on him."
    Taylor is from Sacramento. Played high school ball there. Coached high school ball there. Played college ball at Cal. Had to take a pay cut to return home, but keep in mind that a cut in D1 football still means pretty good money to the average Joe.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Dec. 17, 2018 2:31 p.m.

This is not a good thing. Sorry to see him go, as the offense was doing much better with promise of next year being gangbusters. What is with Witt and OCs? This is having a very negative effect on Whitt's perception with many of us who are supporters.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 2:19 p.m.

@Blah Blah
    Well put. I'm not calling for Kyle's resignation nor am I cancelling my season tickets for next year. I'm just stating the obvious. Going thru an offensive coordinator every year or so is not a good look for the program and is detrimental to recruiting offensive talent. I have no idea why Coach Taylor left and wish him success at his next job.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 17, 2018 2:07 p.m.

65TossPowerTrap - Salmon, ID
    Dec. 17, 2018 11:08 a.m.
    HC at Sacramento State or OC at Utah. Hmmmm.

------

OC fired at Utah, hired at BYU.
    Hmmmmm.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 17, 2018 2:03 p.m.

Let's not forget Kyle had to step in at 0-2 to force Taylor to feed the beast, aka Moss, more. After that Utah went 6-1.

For our OC, Whitt might be a nightmare to work for but he continues to have a solid defense. We just need an average P12 offense and I think we were headed in that direction.

I wish Taylor the best, next man up!

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Dec. 17, 2018 1:52 p.m.

I have no knowledge of guess of what happened. Logic however suggests that Kyle likes to run first (and second) and pass on an as needed basis. Taylor seems to be the pass guy. I am sure Taylor had to feel like his wings were clipped each time we lost and he had drawn up the most fantastic passing play and Kyle said simply..."we have to establish the run".

When we win, I am sure Taylor thought it was an ugly win (25+ carries by our big boys in the backfield)...

I hope there is a good option out there who is a "run first" and pass well as needed guy. Taylor was good but not a good fit. My opinion.

• dbowe Costa Mesa, CA
    Dec. 17, 2018 1:50 p.m.

I really believe that Coach Taylor, and maybe more importantly his family, wanted to move back home. It can be hard being further away from family. If I could I'd move back to my home state in a heartbeat. I believe if this opportunity hadn't come up he would have stayed because things were definitely starting to click, which happens as you start to get in recruits that reflect your style or who have bought in during the recruiting process. Good luck to Coach Taylor and now onward and upward to a new OC. Go Utes!

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 1:44 p.m.

Another December and another new OC at Utah. If he's making more as an HC at Sacramento State than an OC at Utah and money is his motivation, good on him. But in all likelihood neither are true. Something is rotten on the Hill!

• Blah Blah Blah Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 1:35 p.m.

I think it is funny how anybody who isn't spouting the party line must be a fan of that "team down south." FT has got comments from 2 separate trolls yet he specifically stated that he is a 40 year season ticket holder to those games on the hill.

Quick cue in here Ute fans: You can have a dissenting opinion about the state of the program and not be a "hater" from another school.

I, for one, don't even know if this will make a difference to the program at all. Clearly the Utes can win on defense and special teams alone or Whitt would have been shown the door years ago. I mean look at what was accomplished with a mediocre offense this year!

I agree with another poster that we don't know, and probably never will know, the motivation for Taylor to take over the HC job at a lower division school without much of a winning history. But, then again, no one asked us and why should they? I'm sure his reasons are sound for him and his family and that should be all that matters. Good luck to the man!!

Next, though, we will see if "next man up" can truly be sustained.

Peace out y'all!

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 17, 2018 1:34 p.m.

Most Ute fans are not sad at the loss of Troy Taylor. Truth!

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 1:27 p.m.

Seems like a bad move for him but he has to make these decisions on his own with far more considerations than I will apply.
    OTOH I never really became one of his converts. The offensive scheme this season seemed a lot like it did in the last few, just with more catches made, better running back play, and better/more accurate throws.

I would only implore the new OC to not throw the wide receiver screen often if at all. Calling that play fewer times* was Troy's best quality IMO.
    Also quit trying to think you are going to 'out coach' the defense by running a long sweep to the short side or calling a running play on 3rd and 10. You arent fooling anyone. Defenses react. They dont just run to where they think you might call the play.

*Still not few enough for my tastes.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 17, 2018 1:20 p.m.

Personally, I think Taylor did a pretty good job with our Offense amid the 2 seasons he was on the hill. And in light of that, I think had he remained on the hill in that OC slot for another year or two, he most likely would have landed another head coaching gig at the FBS level, for a lot more money. Now he can STILL do that as an HC at an FCS school, but I think the path to FBS HC would be longer at Sacramento St.

Oh well. Good luck Troy!

Looks like Harding will be calling the shots at the Holiday Bowl.

GO UTES!!!

• rslutefan Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 17, 2018 12:51 p.m.

Wow, the media spin on this is well underway. Personally, I think it's a bad move professionally for Taylor. Regardless of his relationship with Coach Whit, Whit would have kept him as he already doesn't like the PR of the revolving door at OC. Taylor probably could have parlayed another year or 2 of success at Utah into a better OC or Head coaching position. Professionally took a big pay cut to go home to get stuck in a program worse than Eastern Washington where he came from. There has to be something personal about it. As fans, we just don't know all the motivating and mitigating factors.

• Lester L. Wester , 00
    Dec. 17, 2018 12:34 p.m.

FT, when another school selects your position coach for a Head Coach, that's a "bad look"? You've got that backwards, but then you have no experience with that as no one wants your coaches.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 11:53 a.m.

And in the long run, the program continues to grow and expectations continue to rise...but a total of 10 points vs UW in 2 games is why we're not in the Rose Bowl...

Next man up...moving forward...Go Utes!

• oaklandaforlife Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 11:49 a.m.

Jim Harding will be an excellent choice.

• JSKM1232 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 11:16 a.m.

Nothing being reported in the Sacramento Newspaper about a new coach hiring!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Dec. 17, 2018 11:08 a.m.

HC at Sacramento State or OC at Utah. Hmmmm.

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 11:04 a.m.

I think it is funny that the BYU faithful are trying to spin this a bad thing. If you have a successful program you are going to lose coaches. That is just the way it is. If USU had not had an 11-2 season do you thing Matt Wells would have gotten a job offer. Utah has a strong enough program that they will attract a successful OC. I think Gary Anderson is a good example of finding out that $$$ isn't everything. Coach Taylor is going home. It is not surprising that after a 4-9 season followed up with a 6-6 season that the BYU staff is still intact. Coach Grimes did not get an offer and no one poached Coach Sitake...amazing. As long as Utah continues to be successful they are going to lose coaches. That is just the nature of the beast. And sometimes, just sometimes, you end up with a better coach. All of us in Cache Valley are smiling. I got my Christmas wish for the next 10 years when USU hired Gary Anderson.

• eleetham Sacramento, CA
    Dec. 17, 2018 10:50 a.m.

One OC Utah should hire is Tee Martin if is still available. And start looking at coaches in the SEC or ACC and get that Florida and Georgia pipeline going before Dennis Erickson left

• ???? Murray, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 10:46 a.m.

Another new OC at the U. Welcome to random Monday in December.

• Frank Walters Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 10:27 a.m.

@uterebel50 - an FCS school is not a sign of being in a good place. An offer is one thing but if your coaches start taking the offers that's a bad sign. FBS offensive coordinator in a P5 conference or head coach FCS. All Taylor needed to do was look at Jay Hill as an example...Hill has been incredibly successful at Weber St but...he's still at Weber St. If Taylor thinks this will parlay into an FBS head coaching job he's probably mistaken. So there are clearly other reasons for his departure and most of those reasons reflect poorly on Utah Football.

This does not reflect well on us.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 10:23 a.m.

When Coach Anderson left Utah to become head coach at Utah State there was an article expressing concern that he might raid the BYU coaching staff. Well it's quite telling that Utah will lose at least 3 coaches and a couple others have received offers. But that's what happens when you have great coaches in successful programs. As they say, "Next man up!" And the cougar's staff remains intact.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 10:22 a.m.

@uterebel
    I'm an alumni and have been a season ticket holder in Rice Eccles for 40 years. Coach Taylor is taking a significant pay cut to become a head coach at an FBS school. Maybe he just waned to return home, maybe he thinks this is a path to bigger and better things or maybe his relationship with Coach Whitt is as sour as has been reported. In any case, another offensive coordinator is moving on after a short stint under Kyle.

• uterebel50 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 10:06 a.m.

FT, when other schools come looking at your assistant coaches with an eye toward promoting them, that's a sign your program is in a good place. Sorry no one is interested in the assistant coaches at your school.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 17, 2018 9:49 a.m.

I don't care how this is spun by the Utes, but this is a bad look and loss for the program. Kyle has got a reputation of either running off or ruining offensive coordinators.