Another Olympics in Utah? Salt Lake City selected as possible 2030 U.S. bid pick

Utah one step closer to hosting another Games, possibly in 2030

• ASchofield1 ,
    Dec. 22, 2018 11:35 p.m.

Can't wait for the Olympics to return to the greatest snow on earth!

• SusanScrubOak Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2018 7:42 a.m.

They’ll have to go further north

• just one voice Highland, UT
    Dec. 16, 2018 12:40 p.m.

No, no,no!!! It took Mitt Romney to "save" our last Utah Olympics. He's going to be too busy as a senator to do it again. Have a vote by the people.... not the politicians and those who will gain money and prestige.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Dec. 16, 2018 10:27 a.m.

Red Smith - Have you not heard of governments providing 'bread and circuses' for the great unwashed public? It keeps them distracted while their country/state/county/city falls apart due to incompetent politicians. . .

• wendell provo, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 10:34 p.m.

The Summer Games of 2028 will be held in Los Angeles. So...the 2030 Winter games will be the Olympics that immediately follow LA 2028. I would be willing to wager a years wages that the IOC will never allow the USA to stage 2 consecutive games. Is this really a bid for 2034?

This proposition may sound like a nice idea, but perhaps we should take a closer look at why very few cities throughout the world are even interested in hosting the games anymore. City after city has rejected the opportunity to bid for the games. Just recently, Calgary, Canada said, "NO THANKS", and they are far from the only city to do so.

I have always been a huge fan of the Olympic Games, but I firmly believe the state of Utah should look back and be proud of the legacy of 2002, while at the same time rejecting the urge to put the people of Utah through it again. Once was more than enough.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 6:54 p.m.

Since the Summer Olympics will be in the U.S. in 2028, getting the Winter Olympics in 2030 will be an uphill battle, but I wish them luck.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 2:38 p.m.

rfrmac - South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 8:31 a.m.

My point in posting the data was to show that it ends up costing taxpayers more than what they get in return for the investment. Don't kid yourself that there is going to be all of this private funding of the Olympics. Weathly people want something for their investment. They don't just give that $ out of the kindness of their hearts. Whether it is a deal to pay less taxes or having more buildings in Salt Lake named after them, or a tax deal for their corporations the rest of us do not get they will get deals out of anything they give.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 12:24 p.m.

@Mr. Boris - Layton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 8:44 p.m.
    Governor Herbert,
    I have been a country bumpkin for over 40 years and I have no desire to be “sophisticated”.
    Put it to a vote because I guarantee you a majority of Utahns do not want another olympics."

If you've been here for 40 years you should know by now, Utah's GOP politicians don't care about what Utahn's want. They only do what Utahn's want if it aligns with what they want or their "donors" want them to do.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 12:23 p.m.

Hopefully the IOC will realize that the politicians in Utah have no regard for public land and would rather exploit it for a few than preserve it for everyone and will pass on Utah for that reason. If Utah leaders wanted to protect land then perhaps we could show the world we are good partners IN the world. The IOC needs to look somewhere else.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 11:01 a.m.

This should have gone to a vote of the people. Especially when they do cost taxpayers a lot of money and most Olympics end up costing far more than the money generated from them. Tired of all these people so freely spending my hard earned tax dollars.

• Gil Bates Mayfield, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 10:45 a.m.

The Olympics have gone the way of World's Fairs, Nobel Peace Prizes and Time's Man of the Year.

But Utah politicians haven't yet figured that out.

Oddly, being proud to be an American is considered a sin these days. Go figure.

I'd like to think Herbert sees this as a chance to rebuild I-15 in the name of the Olympics, but I'm afraid that would give him too much credit.

• Jacobiuntherus Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 10:30 a.m.

Obviously the ski resorts and beer breweries would be ecstatic to have the Olympics come to Utah. But many of us don't want the city to be flooded with skiers and such who crowd our roads, pollute our air, and utilize local resources at our expense. Our city is already over-run and over populated because we keep sending out the message to the world that "Utah is the right place" or "Life Elevated" here. Take the crowds elsewhere please!

• Sandy Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 10:09 a.m.

This is hilarious, reading this feed. I wonder what Utahns really think?

Spencer Cox is awesome and admirable in so many ways. but his tweeting is beginning to remind me of the president. You don’t want to be like him, do you, Spencer? Follow your first impressions—“don’t say it.” I always taught my kids that “just kidding” can not erase an insult. “Don’t say it” is right.

Much more admirable was the response of the Committee Chairman in Denver, who in his disappointment offered a gracious word of congratulations to Salt Lake.

May the olympics here be better than the curmudgeons here expect, if it comes here at all...

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    Dec. 15, 2018 9:47 a.m.

I was got going write something, but I don't need to, Red Smith of American Fork already did, perfectly.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 9:39 a.m.

"Call some place 'Paradise', kiss it goodbye" - Don Henley

Please don't! The majority of us don't need to live in a famous place, feel popular or have a pat on the back. We good already bro.........

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 9:30 a.m.

I do hope that Salt Lake City is awarded the 2033 Olympics

• just kidding right? , 00
    Dec. 15, 2018 8:45 a.m.

I like watching the olympics and I appreciate the dedication of the athletes. I also think that the olympics even if just for a moment helps boost opportunities for some countries. The olympics do come with a price tag though. Let's be real about this. There are only a few who gain financially from the olympics - mostly politicians and already wealthy people. The majority of Utah citizens have no gain and in fact - one way or another some of the cost will be passed off to ALL citizens of Utah. No matter how it is presented it comes down to the rich get richer and cares about the rest of Utah?

• rfrmac South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 8:31 a.m.

I was not for it, and I'm still not for it. Their approval figures are wrong and if we would have had a vote it would be very close. But comparing 2002's situation and the 2030's situation is not fair in many respects. This is mostly a private funded project. Public monies have already built many of the facilities already. There will be no vote. We are well past that now. Running down the State and urging people to go to other skiing area's is just plain stupid. We want and need these people to come and spend their money. I'm proud of the State I come from. Like it or not we are now in the race. I'm not asking anyone to change their opinions but don't hurt the revenues for the people who already work here. It is in all our interests not to do so.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Dec. 15, 2018 8:25 a.m.

I would suggest putting zara2010 in charge of our olympic push! This guy really seems to have his head on straight.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 8:10 a.m.

Yawn. The Olympics is just another sports entertainment show as if we lack for sports entertainment shows. The para Olympics are inspiring, but the regular Olympics are not.

So some spoiled guy spends hour after hour, day after day, week after week, and year and year not doing a real job, but "working " for a gold button. Boring. Not inspiring. A person working a full 40 hours at Walmart is more inspiring than that.

The function of gov't is not to provide grander and grander entertainment to a society with an entertainment addiction, Herbert.

What great things happened after the 2002 Winter Olympics? Nothing. Our taxes keep going up. Our air is more toxic than ever. Housing is more costly than ever. Health care is more costly than ever. Our schools are failing.

And all we get from our tone deaf Politicians is - Hooray, we'll may host the 2030 Winter Olympics to distract from their incompetence.

Our day to day lives are not improving. State, County, and City gov't spending is out of control with debt, bonds, and Olympic sized waste growing.

Maybe another Olympic achievement from Gary Herbert will be a new Olympic license plate if we pay an extra $50.

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 8:07 a.m.

I venture that the MAJORITY of Utah citizens do not want the Olympics to come here again. Put it up for a vote and let's avoid all the extra taxes and problems that come with having them here. No to the Olympics in Utah again!

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    Dec. 15, 2018 7:46 a.m.

So many curmudgeons...

I’m thrilled SLC was chosen by the USOC and I hope we win the final vote. The 2002 games were great and I’m sure 2030 will be even better. I just hope I live to see them.

• The Great Helmsman Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 7:35 a.m.

Oh my goodness, no. This benefits only the developers and the out-of-towners with their Gulfstream G650 private jets.

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 7:07 a.m.

Nice work

• Dixie Dan St George, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 6:36 a.m.

The 2002 Olympics were the most corrupt ever in this history of this event. What makes you think the 2030 won't surpass the 2002 corruption level?

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Dec. 15, 2018 6:33 a.m.

Everyone looking forward to restrictions of your speech again, just like last time? Where do you think the politicians will put your favorite "Free Speech Zone"? Maybe out by the new state prison location? Not everyone is in favor of having another Olympic experience here, despite what the politicians and MSM want you to believe. Sure, I believe the politicians when they say no taxpayer dollars are involved, sure, I believe it - NOT

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 5:13 a.m.

As a taxpayer, i vote no on any more olympics.

• zara2010 Pakistan, 00
    Dec. 15, 2018 3:31 a.m.

In perspective of developing lodging request in the twin urban areas, FDHL means to construct a quality lodging venture on M2 Motorway close New Islamabad International Airport falling on the eastern course of CPEC. Capital Smart City means to wind up first since forever brilliant city in Pakistan and a model for manageable improvement.plot for sale in capital smart city is very easy process many investor visit there and invest money in capital smart city.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 11:53 p.m.

I think the biggest real estate development corporation in Utah should pay for it. They just built a $2B shopping mall so they can afford it.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 10:59 p.m.

Did you hear the roaring sound of the people of Utah cheering at this announcement?
    Me neither.

This party won't cost the people of Utah a cent, but there will be, public safety costs, infrastructure improvements, more relaxation of liquor laws, inflation and in-migration. All that is free, you see.

Sapporo, Japan is a nice place, though their mountains are a bit understated. Maybe we should let them have it. They had the Winter Olympics in 1972 so I'm sure they have all the facilities they need......

• Truth2017 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 10:21 p.m.

We should have a vote on whether to hold the Olympic or not.
    It may benefit some wealthy people and corporations, but for the vast majority of people there is nothing gained holding another Olympics.

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 9:48 p.m.

So, we the people of Utah get No say in the expenditures of taxpayer dollars, are on the hook for millions if not more when we struggle to pay teachers, repair roads and provide basic health services to the poor and needy. All in the name of corruption and greed. If it’s so important to these people why is there not a national Olympic site paid developed and ready to go? No this madness!

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 8:44 p.m.

Governor Herbert,

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 7:27 p.m.

Oh, the politicians and members of the community who struggle with telling the taxpayers the truth.

Cost to do the Olympics:

Salt Lake City (Winter 2002)
    Cost to Setup: $1.7 billion
    Net profit: $134 million

Vancouver, Canada (Winter 2010)
    Cost to Setup: $7.1 billion
    Net Loss: -$515.4 million, though total debt might be more. This just accounts for debt from the Olympic Village alone.

Albertville, France (Winter 1996)
    Cost to Setup: $1.4 million
    Net Loss: -$97.6 million

Torino, Italy (Winter 2006)
    Cost to Setup: $3.6 billion
    Net Loss: -$38.7 million

Lake Placid, New York (Winter 1980)
    Cost to Setup: $494.4 million
    Net Loss: -$24.7 million

Sarajevo, Yugoslavia (Winter 1984)
    Cost to Setup: $348 million
    Net Profit: $23.2 million

Sochi, Russia (Winter 2014)
    Cost to Setup: $51.9 billion
    Net Profit: $54.1 million

Lillehammer, Norway (Winter 1994)
    Cost to Setup: $1.8 billion
    Net Profit: $65.1 million

The losses for Summer Olympics, including in U.S. cities, is staggering as well. It is in the millions and billions of dollars. So, when they tell you it won't cost the taxpayers a penny, don't believe one word of it.

The Pinocchio noses are growing!

• nancybLV Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 6:51 p.m.

@kaysvillecougar

You are not speaking for the people of Utah.....I didn't give you my permission to speak for me......you are speaking for yourself.

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 5:34 p.m.

I want to know how they came up with the $1.4 Billion figure. It cost less than that to put on the 2002 Olympics, including construction of all the facilities they will use in 2030. Costs haven't risen that much since then, and in 2002 we used thousands of unpaid volunteers.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 4:38 p.m.

Dear people from around the world,

Please don't come ski in Utah because the snow is terrible, the people unfriendly and the scenery is terrible. There are other options in Colorado, Idaho and Wyoming.

Sincerely,