Walmart pushing for Utah to allow higher alcohol content beer in stores

• mjazz Wasrwick, RI
    Dec. 16, 2018 9:47 a.m.

Ethanol is a toxic solvent that people consume because it makes them feel better temporarily.
    It damages all the organs of the body and overdoses can be fatal. People under the influence of it are unable to think logically and are incapable of reasoning. It is addicting and people who become addicted to it are called alcoholics, and can die if they abruptly stop using it.

• Millenial Snow Sandy, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 1:39 p.m.

"I can't, it's against my religion"

That's awesome. You do you.

"You can't, it's against my religion"

Not cool.

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 1:40 p.m.

Where's the support for the free market?

Ahh I forgot. Utah is a nanny state.

• MoliterManus SLC, UT
    Dec. 14, 2018 9:22 a.m.

EDM - Not for nothing, but Heineken is 5% ABV, not 4%.

• Ben there, Done that! Sun Prairie, WI
    Dec. 14, 2018 8:50 a.m.

It's hard to believe that Walmart is doing solely for consumers' choice. They have pulled many popular items when bowing to pressure from other groups. The reality is if they can standardize the % then they can negotiate tougher with bigger companies. If the % is abnormal, then it makes it hard for Walmart to strong arm a niche company & thereby lose out on profits. I admit Utah liquor laws are strange in comparison but there is still plenty of ways do get your alcohol. Who knows but maybe home delivery of alcohol is around the corner a kin amazon-be it state controlled or a private company.

To those who have live elsewhere saying that States don't run liquor stores haven't lived in Virginia or North Carolina.

• EDM Castle Valley, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2018 8:22 a.m.

Utah would also do well to switch over to the more common measurement - alcohol by volume (ABV), instead of alcohol by weight (ABW). Almost no one measures ABW as Utah does, so Utah just confounds people unneccesarily. Moreover, what most people don’t understand is that a 3.2%ABW is 4%ABV. (So if I buy a Heinekin in Wyoming with 4%ABV on the label, it is NO different from the same bottle of Heinekin purchased in Utah.)

For a state that relies heavily on tourism, you would think that we would want the world to know that 3.2% is really 4%. - which, by the way, is a very normal, standard ABV for beer all around the world.

• 1Reader Alpine, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 9:46 p.m.

That's fine. Walmart can share their opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own as well.
    Being different, especially in this category, isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 4:11 p.m.

"kaysvillecougar - KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 3:54 p.m.
    Can someone explain to me why a beer maker wouldn't make 3.2% alcohol beer if it sells? Even if it's only offered in Utah and Minnesota, why not make a profit?"

Sure. Because it's more labor intensive and more expensive to filter natural alcohol content of beer down to 3.2%. It's just not worth the expense for one state-one that has the lowest drinkers in the country. Forming a business model to sell more expensive product to the smallest market in the US is not a winning business plan.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 3:54 p.m.

Can someone explain to me why a beer maker wouldn't make 3.2% alcohol beer if it sells? Even if it's only offered in Utah and Minnesota, why not make a profit? Unless the higher alcohol content gives a bigger buzz. And the bigger buzz leads to more consumption, so I guess trying to strong arm the last two states is in the big beer makers' financial interest. Most of us have no problem with people consuming modest amounts of alcohol, but certainly less alcohol consumption in a community is better for that community, no? Why not have a community that is more productive, with fewer medical problems and other problems associated with overconsumption? Now, if Coors and Budweiser shut their production down, certainly, there will be a local beer company that would be happy to make 3.2% beer which would be better for our local economy, no?

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 2:53 p.m.

CoreyE33 - first, thank you for being willing to serve, kudos to you. Second, it is outrageous to me that an 18 year old is supposedly of sound enough judgement that they can sign away their life, commit to put their lives at risk, and be responsible enough for their lives, as well as their fellow service people - but can does not have the judgement enough to buy a beer or not. They can do several tours of duty in Afghanistan.... but don't buy a beer with that brat.

18 year olds can go out in Utah and buy what ever weapon they want. But not a beer at 18. This stuff needs to be reconciled. Either raise the age of enlistment, or allow these people the same rights of judgement as anyone else.

The real solution to our problems lie in what you see in Germany. Drunk driving and public intoxication carry serious penalties. When in Hiedleburg, my coworkers never drove themselves to a night out. They would take their cars home, and taxi'ed back, or walked. The fear of a duI citation was just too big.

We need laws that are consistent laws. I don't drink because of a promise made. But that doesn't give me the right to hold my neighbor to my promise. Odd place.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Dec. 13, 2018 2:05 p.m.

I think Utah should hold its ground. I also think Utah should work to shift more to local retailers and away from enemies of Utah values such as Wal Mart.

• CoreyE33 Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 1:55 p.m.

@UtahBlueDevil,

Thank's for the clarification.

I've moved around a lot being prior military. Never seen a state ran liquor store in any of the places I was stationed. Wine was sold in all Walmart's, private liquor stores, and convenience stores.

If they do, or did, control alcohol it was not as restrictive as UT.

There was a no sale on Sunday law down South. Stores ignored it because they made more selling beer and liquor than it cost to pay the fine.

The Choctaw Tribe, back home, have their own rules that let them sell on Sunday in some of the Southern states.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. I've never been this restricted in all the places I've been. And I've been buying beer since I was 15.

• bassoonlady OREM, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 1:41 p.m.

Walmart cares about one thing only, their bottom line. If only specialty Brewers provide the 3.2, Walmart has to pay more for it and will have to charge customers more, which will cause them to go to the state liquor store for their beer and Walmart will lose sales. Agree with the law itself or no, that's what Walmart's campaign is about, nothing more or less.

Personally, I think having less beer on the shelf and forcing drinkers to go to the state liquor store if they want it will be a good thing. Alcohol is a bad enough drug that the less it's used the better for everyone, especially families.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 1:26 p.m.

"WalMart says the goal is to provide customers with products they want. Nope, that's nonsense. The goal for WalMart is to increase sales and thus their profits. I think this is a really bad idea."

Aren't those two in the same. Is there some kind of group of beer drinkers that "wants" the watered down stuff? I haven't seen any. Are there groups of beer drinkers that want the same stuff available in 48 other states.... pretty sure if they had a choice... they would.

@CoreyE33 - your just a bit off. Lots of states have state run alcohol stores. I know NC is one of them. Just for your clarification.

Not a beer drinker, so I don't really care. But there is a bit of hypocrisy in a state that wants to regulate beer to keep people safe, but is also seeking to deregulate EPA standards so businesses can grow faster. Pollute Utah's waters - if it provides jobs - thumbs up. Buying real beer at your grocery store - that is a step too far my friend. Drive a pickup that has been intentionally rigged to spew smoke - way to go buddy! It's all very convoluted.

• stevo123 Driggs, ID
    Dec. 13, 2018 12:48 p.m.

Now is a great time to open up Utah distribution to more of a free market system. Idaho has State control, but allows wine and beer to be sold in grocery stores. The people of Idaho have not suffered in their experiment in the Free Market.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 12:44 p.m.

Anonymous100 - Anywhere, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 12:16 p.m.

I'm guessing you're one of the group that "eschews" the consumption of alcohol.

The reason for changing the beer to "normal" beer is because the manufacturers won't make 3.2% beer just because our overseers want it.

Consumers want real beer. If the state doesn't change to meet consumer, rather than legislature demand, Utah will be missing out on a whole lot of tax money. That money goes to feed school lunches to students, including the children of the group that "eschews" alcohol.

It's ironic that the legislators have given us a .05% "impaired" limit while driving. People that don't know anything about a product shouldn't be in charge of the product.

• CoreyE33 Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 12:42 p.m.

Perspective:

No other states control alcohol. That I know of. Parishes/county's can be dry and not sell any alcohol. That's a church thing as well. The state or the church doesn't dictate. The people do.

You can get any alcohol on base. Any. You can ask if they don't have it. They will order it for you.

Please stop forcing the rest of us to live by the churches standards. We don't want them.

It limits businesses that can come in. Smaller companies can't afford to brew a completely different batch of beer just for UT.

We all live here. Together. Let's give each other the space, respect, & tolerance needed to make Utah a better place for all of us.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 12:31 p.m.

@Anonymous100 - Anywhere, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 12:16 p.m.

Yeah, and to increase sales and profits, losing beer sales will hurt their bottom line. If beer makers discontinue 3.2 beer, because Utah is the only state left to sell it, Walmart, grocery stores and convenience stores won't have a product to sell. This is a smart idea.

• Anonymous100 Anywhere, UT