BYU women's volleyball: Cougars brace for toughest challenge of the year — No. 1 Stanford

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 12:44 p.m.

@CougarDuck - Cottage Grove, OR
    Dec. 13, 2018 11:08 a.m.
    I just have to say this. If the libero from Stanford is better that Mary Lake she must be the best that ever played because I believe Lake to be the best I have ever seen and I have watched a lot of volleyball."

Actually, the libero from Nebraska, Kenzie Maloney is rated above both Lake and Stanford's Hentz (last year's top libero). They are all amazing players.

• Boberino Farmington, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 11:38 a.m.

Win or lose, watching these Cougars has been great this season. Keep doing what you’v been doing, and things will be fine. Go Cougars!

• CougarDuck Cottage Grove, OR
    Dec. 13, 2018 11:08 a.m.

There is no question that the Cougars would not be where they are right now if not for Mary Lake. She is all over the floor including on the floor much of the time. I am not sure how she gets back up after some of those gets. I truly believe she should have been the first team all-American at her position.
    Go Cougars.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 11:04 a.m.

If Roni Jones Perry plays like she played against Texas, as well as Lake, BYU should win it all. Good luck ladies.

• PRSomega Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 10:22 a.m.

To: UtahBruin

You are right on. The NCAA is interested in money and prestige and they get it from media coverage. Clearly, ESPN is interested in money and they get it through viewership. East vs. West sells more than West vs. West. BYU should have been ranked #2, so that they would meet in the finals and not semi-finals. But what can you do, other than point out the obvious?

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 9:36 a.m.

The sad part is that the NCAA got it wrong, and the two teams that most likely would be playing in the championship, have to meet in the semi-finals. I realize that BYU lost the final match against LMU. But this team is clearly still one of the best in the country. I get it, they lost late and they lose the #1 Seed. But to drop them to #4 was ridiculous. When I look at this bracket, all I see is the NCAA wanting a east vs west battle. Because anything east of the rockies seems to be considered east to the NCAA. Stanford and BYU should have been on opposite sides of the bracket. In my mind, BYU should have retained the #1, they beat Stanford. Stanford should have been #2, Illinois #3, and Minnesota #4. You would still have a great final 4 with #1 BYU vs #7 now Nebraska, who's losses this year are to Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Penn State, all great programs. And then you would have Illinois vs Stanford. Even give Stanford the #1 and BYU the #2, it is still great matches. I am going to say BYU wins, and will play Nebraska, they seem to be the two hottest teams right now. And I think Nebraska may win it. But what do I know.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 9:18 a.m.

I wonder if the loss to LMU wasn't a blessing in disguise. They had lost Miller a few games before, and really before LMU were not playing well. Then LMU came, and they got swept.

A week off, and they went into the NCAA tourney renewed somehow, and everyone had stepped up. They look as good now as when Miller was there.

Can they beat Stanford? Of all the teams Stanford has faced, BYU has shown they can. In fact, it was almost a sweep the first time until set 3 got away from the Cougs. Can they do it again? Well, of the three teams in the Final Four I would say BYU has the best chance.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 8:52 a.m.

BYU beat them once, they'll do it again today. BYU's mental toughness this season is in rare air, they've risen to the occasion nearly all season long. Go Cougars!

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Dec. 12, 2018 10:26 p.m.

It’s been a lot of fun watching this team all year and being #1 over 90% of the time even beating #1 Stanford. One more time ladies. I wonder why they only got a 4 seed? Strength of schedule was high. I think they should have went in as #1 or 2 as the lowest. It’s show time and take it to the next two teams. Go Cougs!

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Dec. 12, 2018 10:18 p.m.

BYU vs Stanford will likely be the toughest match of the year for BYU. It should be a great match to watch, I'm hoping BYU has improved more than Stanford, go Cougars!