Jay Evensen: A wakeup call for better accountability of homeless programs

Return To Article
Add a comment
  • Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 9:03 a.m.

    Maybe the best way to attack the homeless problem is to do nothing. How do you help people who do not want to help themselves?

  • Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2018 8:37 a.m.

    SALT LAKE CITY — Around $100 million was spent on homeless services in Utah last year, but no one knows if the money made a difference.

    Source Salt Lake Tribune

    SC Matt - Saline, MI
    Dec. 12, 2018 12:26 p.m.
    @Flipphone:

    Check your math. (Alternatively, if you quoted a source, start using another.)

    Because $100M / 3M UT residents is $33 / UT resident.

    (Hint: Anytime *anything* costs more than most people pay in taxes, check the math.)

  • RebelScum Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 10:19 a.m.

    I would really like to see a state audit of Operation Rio Grande. We already know that more than 70% of the money went to law enforcement for that operation but I'd really like to know specifically how that and the other 30% were spent.

  • MabelPines Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 6:19 a.m.

    Housing First only relieves a symptom of the problem. It’s an easy, feel-good solution with a low success rate. We are not addressing the real problem. Look up an article by Dr Drew called Homelessness + Sanitation Problems = Disease. California is dealing with a homelessness problem on a massive scale, and the camps are full of disease, including the real Plague.

    “Oftentimes the face of homelessness is depicted as someone who is simply down on his luck – the victim of a cascade of unfortunate circumstances that led to life on the streets. But this portrayal is more likely the exception than the rule. The overwhelming majority of people who live on the streets are dealing with drug addiction, mental illness – or both, which is why getting control of the issue is so challenging. Many homeless people are unwilling or unable to receive proper care, because they are held captive by their own delusions. They lack insight about their conditions and cannot appreciate that they are suffering from illness. These thought disorders create distrust, paranoia and fear, which manifests in a refusal to take advantage of shelters and other resources – despite community outreach.”

  • Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    Dec. 13, 2018 3:28 a.m.

    I think the words we are using mis-frame the problem. There isn't forcibly a lack of places to house people, or even just "affordable housing", but rather more of a lack of responsibility in the lives of many of who have become irresponsible by becoming slaves to substance addictions.

    When nothing matters anywhere near what getting that "fix" does, and then that "fix" renders one either less capable, or incapable to function "normally", to be responsible and appropriately responsive to life's everyday challenges and difficulties. Then, not only the loss of a habitation, but the loss of familial cohesiveness; the loss of employment, due to irresponsibility, brought on by addictions, where habits become more important to us than our fellow humans, especially our own family members!

    Being "kinder & gentler" alone will not resolve the underlying causes of widespread (& growing) 'homelessness'. We need not be unnecessarily abrasive while working at the 'never ending' quest to work at helping to lift & hopefully help to returning individuals again to responsible adulthood. But society must reinforce the self discipline we all need to make our way through this always difficult life!

  • SC Matt Saline, MI
    Dec. 12, 2018 12:26 p.m.

    @Flipphone:

    Check your math. (Alternatively, if you quoted a source, start using another.)

    Because $100M / 3M UT residents is $33 / UT resident.

    (Hint: Anytime *anything* costs more than most people pay in taxes, check the math.)

  • RiDal Sandy, UT
    Dec. 12, 2018 11:17 a.m.

    If the number of homeless drops dramatically, could we call that success?
    What if SLC were not a "Sanctuary City"....would that affect the number?
    If we simply stopped providing any services at all for the homeless, would they simply go elsewhere?
    Does providing more benefits to the homeless simply attract more homeless ?

    It seems like there are a lot of deeper-level primary considerations to be considered before naively going off to "provide better assistance for the homeless".

  • casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 12, 2018 10:03 a.m.

    Salt Lake City tax payers are learning that government spending is often dictated by two principles.
    1. Why not, it's not our money?
    2. If we don't spend it, they won't give it to us in next year's budget.

  • Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Dec. 12, 2018 9:19 a.m.

    A $100 million dollars has been spend on the homeless, that cost $30,000 dollars for every resident of Utah.