Marc Lyons ready for final BYU football broadcast as Cougars battle team he faced 50 years ago

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Dec. 13, 2018 1:02 a.m.

I will genuinely miss Marc's commentary -- always insightful and often very entertaining (usually in a low-key, understated way). Greg Wrubell is OK but Marc has been truly great.

• jrbyu84 Portland, OR
    Dec. 12, 2018 12:45 p.m.

Marc has been the only color analyst of my loyal fandom, as I attended BYU from 80'-84'. I've listened to every broadcast possible wherever we've lived since then, oft times sitting in the car on that one hill in town finding the best reception possible for ksl's 50,000 watt signal. Ive met him a couple times at the coach"s show and at pregame activities and have always been impressed with how genuine and kind he is. Your commentary and fun interaction with Greg will be missed Marc but you deserve to sit back and enjoy the games and critique your poor replacement along with the rest of us. Personally I wish Nate was still around I think he would be great.

• DonO Draper, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 4:52 p.m.

Marc personifies class in every way. Honest but always upbeat. Best of luck to him .

• DonO Draper, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 4:52 p.m.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 3:53 p.m.

I don't even remember BYU football before Marc. He has been a great familiar voice on the radio for so many years.

• TLCarver22 , 00
    Dec. 11, 2018 12:53 p.m.

It was probably foolish of me to hope that Marc was one of the three Nephites and would never need to retire.

You've been a delight to listen to over the years, Marc!

You'll be missed!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 12:51 p.m.

Marc is simply the best. I would hate to be the one who tries to replace him.

• David Centerville, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 12:47 p.m.

This is a very sad day for me and for sports fans. Marc Lyons is a class act, very talented, and will be greatly missed.

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 10:45 a.m.

For those of you with sync problems between radio and TV, try an app. On iPhone you can try ootunes. You can pause it like a DVR.

• Bluefan AMERICAN CANYON, CA
    Dec. 11, 2018 10:34 a.m.

It will probably be snowing and 20 degrees during his last game in Boise. Regardless, I'll salute the close of a great great career and hope Marc signs off on his last broadcast by saying, "Greg, my boy, its a great day to retire!"

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 9:47 a.m.

I'm a UTE.

I have listened to Marc on every broadcast.

I have appreciated his perspective.

I will miss him.

Thank you Marc for your efforts throughout all these years.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 8:46 a.m.

I am not a BYU fan at all. However, I have heard Greg and Marc call both football and basketball games and have always thought they did a great job. I've always been impressed at how well they could be objective when things don't go BYU's way.

• Paul B. South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 7:42 a.m.

Thanks Marc for a lifetime of enjoyment and fun. Our family has grown up listening to you, Greg and Paul. We’ve listened from Portland, OR as newlyweds raising our young family. I’ve heard your game calls in countless airports, hotels and restaurants throughout the travels of my career. Last year we listened to you as a senior missionary couple in Ohio! Now as we settle into retirement here in Utah, we’ll once again turn off the TV audio and put up with the lack of sync timing between the TV and radio broadcasts - just so we can enjoy the magical harmony between you and “Greg my boy” one last time.

Over the years we’ve much about football from your expert insights, but we’ve learned more about how to truly be a class act. We appreciate your exemplary conduct as you’ve traversed the country - you have been an admirable ambassador of BYU and all it represents.

Many thanks from our entire family!

• slackoff green river, WY
    Dec. 11, 2018 7:06 a.m.

Another pillar maybe the last, of BYU football moving on. What a treat it has been to listen to him on byu football. The games will not be the same. He may as well turn off the lights when he leaves, and when they get the program turned around they can call him back to turn them back on again.

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 6:45 a.m.

To me he is Coach Lyons. He was the baseball head coach and offensive coordinator for the football team. Back then we pretty much ran the same offense as BYU. No surprise, we won state our senior year, same year that BYU won the National Championship. He was a fun coach to be around. It won't be the same listening to the games without his comments.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 6:46 a.m.

Marc Lyons is a perfect fit for the cheerleader style of his current partner. Marc understands it's not a reflection of his self-esteem if he says the cougars simply lost to a better team on any particular day.

It's so refreshing to hear that comment versus the "best team lost" explanation stemming from the other microphone.

Best wishes for your retirement from the radio, Marc.

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 6:17 a.m.

Marc Lyons was always insightful in his color analysis. He knew the game in a defensive struggle he could vividly describe where linebacker was or what the pulling guard did. He was especially entertaining when broadcasting rivalry games against the Aggies or Utes giving us excitement and candor. Marc Lyons is a one of a kind color guy.

• BleedingBlue Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2018 12:19 a.m.

Thank you for all of the wonderful games you called. I bet Paul James is still calling them. I only wish that the TV and radio were on the same sync, I would switch them out in a heart beat. Good Luck, Go Cougars.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Dec. 10, 2018 11:32 p.m.

He will be missed. I only regret that BYU has a weak team in his final year. The broadcasts will not be the same.

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 11:30 p.m.

Thanks, Mark!

You’ve been a perfect combination of knowledgeable, informative, and nearly-balanced-but-clearly-Cougar.

The right experience, the right brain, the right disposition, representing the right team!

• FactBasedDataDriven Alpine, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 10:45 p.m.

We gave Marc a ride from the airport to Notre Dame when BYU played the Golden Domers way back when. Marc was fun, engaging, insightful and not too full of himself. We will miss you Marc.

A little side story if I may... We attended the Notre Dame Alumni Football Breakfast featuring Lou Holtz the Friday before the Game. Those attending could ask Coach Holtz a written question.

I wrote down “As a BYU Fan it is an honor to be on the Notre Dame Campus and experience this rich tradition. What will your first play from scrimmage be? P.S. I will not tell Lavell.”

Coach Holtz took the question and responded “Dean, I would tell you the first play but the Alumni have not given it to me yet!” Which drew great laughter.

I think we were the only non-Notre Dame folks there...

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 9:57 p.m.

I knew him both as an announcer and as a gym teacher at Olympus. In our gym class was a boy that just was not gifted in any physical way. Marc made him feel welcome and did it in a way that left the boy with some pride. In a day were teasing was the norm and accepted, everyone in the class treated everyone with respect and decency. Marc Lyons is a class guy.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 8:55 p.m.

Marc Lyons is a major class act - not only as a broadcaster but as a person. All of us who know Marc appreciate him and his many talents. My best wishes for him to just have an incredible last
    game with many great emotions and memories. Go Cougars - Go Marc Lyons!