Some encores succeed, others fail, but USU's Gary Andersen is far ahead of where he began

• OldMain Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 2:44 p.m.

I don't understand the disdain for Wells or the concern for Andersen to potentially leave again. Some fans really must have just started paying attention 10 years ago. Utah State has NEVER been in this position in the modern era. Andersen pulled the program out of 50 years of ashes and made it into something it had never been and got them into a stable conference. Wells had one hiccup with a 3-9 season, but otherwise did about as well as one can be expected to do at a school that is traditionally a stepping stone. Andersen has already played in the big time at Wisconsin. He didn't like it. He also let a ton of money on the table at Oregon State, so I don't think he needs the cash. I don't anticipate him leaving USU anytime soon.

• BocaRaton Owls , 00
    Dec. 10, 2018 12:46 p.m.

Coach A didn't recruit Wagner or Turbin, they were Brent Guy's recruits

• 96 U Flower Mound, TX
    Dec. 10, 2018 11:33 a.m.

If I were a Y fan, I would be very concerned about now. Stability at USU could be a serious challenge to their future status and recruiting.

• "Hakuna Matata" Vernal, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 10:29 a.m.

I think Ty Detmer would be a good fit at QB Coach this time. Let him build more experience for a few years and then let him go if he gets ring to be OC somewhere. It would be fun to see him along the USU sidelines when they play BYU.

• Big Sports Fan Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 10, 2018 9:20 a.m.

I think Gray is a good hire with a lot of baggage, my hope is that it is all in the background and he can move forward with focus on recruiting the best players and even more important is getting the best assistants, the OC and DC are going to be hard to replace!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Dec. 10, 2018 9:13 a.m.

I don't understand the disdain for Wells. He took USU to a new level. I'd put a hefty buy out clause in Anderson's contract.

• amigo sandy, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 8:42 a.m.

Hey son, the pot is hot, don't touch it.....Ouch! Hey son, the pot is hot, don't touch it...Ouch!
    Hey USU, Andersen already blew you off once, don't touch it....Ouch!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 8:39 a.m.

Gary comes back at a great time. Aggies have an incredible qb in Love. Andersen jumps into recruiting season where he did a phenomenal job building USU's program. Thrilled to have the man back. Go Big Blue!!!

• neece Hyde Park, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 8:03 a.m.

Hiring Anderson isn't even a slight surprise... sorry but good riddance to Wells and welcome Anderson... I sure hope Anderson can take the Aggies to the moon!

• AlwaysAnAggie Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 8:35 p.m.

Absolutely phenomenal hire. Gary is coming back to the house he built. He recruited some of the best athletes to ever wear Aggie blue, Wagner, Keeton, Turbin, and Virgil. Looking forward to see who his coordinators are.