Friendly rivals: Utes' Larry Krystkowiak, BYU's Nick Emery have another exchange on the court

• ITrustNoPutts La Grange, TN
    Dec. 10, 2018 6:05 p.m.

When Coach Krystkowiak decided it would be best if BYU / Utah postponed playing against each other for a while I was one of the first ones who felt he was wrong and said so in ways I wish I hadn't. Coach K was right and I was wrong. He didn't deserve all the hate mail and pressure that was placed on him and his family. As a result of Coach K's stance I have seen a difference on and off the field in Basketball as well as other sports. Granted, the Holy War lives on, but in a more tempered place, a less hateful one. Both sides are trying to be more cautious and professional.
    I truly apologize Coach K for not even trying to see what you saw up close and personal. I selfishly only saw BYU missing the opportunity to play it's arch rival. Best Wishes to you and the Utes ........ You got it right........

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 10, 2018 12:50 p.m.

Thanks for sharing this as I think we all like to see good sportsmanship on both sides. Not a huge fan of Coach K but I gained some respect for him with this move.

Best to both teams the rest of the year. I hope Utah gels and can be a dominate force in the PAC 12. Also BYU to do the same. The Zags and SF are vulnerable as they both have been beat. USU did a number on them. But watch out for the others who have targets on BYU.

• banliberals Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 11:25 a.m.

Emery said.....good to be back on top, lil brother!

Kyrsto..........Utah has seen the best of its days......I am moving on to Utah State!

• Laxman taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 10:58 a.m.

The Dnews doesn't want to let this story go. Coach Krystowiak and Emery settled this a few years ago. Let it go, everybody else has.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Dec. 10, 2018 8:52 a.m.

I love this story of reconciliation. Krystkowiak had some family issues when he played at Montana, so I suspect he can relate to a struggling college kid. Some opposing Big Sky crowds were merciless to Krystkowiak.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 8:28 a.m.

grown ups. Finally....

• Xpat1961 ,
    Dec. 10, 2018 5:39 a.m.

I don't watch sports to see fights. Of course I hope to see my team win and I hate to lose. But in the end, it is the game that is most important.
    I read the sports article to read about my team. I click to see comments because I really hope to get other fans' point of view. I really get upset when people are just nasty to be nasty and when they put down the opposing team.
    It was such a great feeling to read this article and know that men (and women) can get over their anger and greet each other as fellow sportsmen and competitors.

• Xpat1961 ,
    Dec. 10, 2018 5:31 a.m.

To quote Wikipedia: "Sportsmanship is an aspiration or ethos that a sport or activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors."

So happy to finally see a rivalry game played with sportsmanship.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    Dec. 9, 2018 6:42 p.m.

So much drama out of a harmless swing.

• BYU Sports Nut Heber City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 4:48 p.m.

Great day to be a Cougar.
    It is good to see players mature and grow up along with coaches. For some reason Coach K doesn't seem to want to play the rivalry game with BYU as seen by his post game non comments. He basically said that the decisions were being made above him and that he had no control over it.
    The rivalry with Utah is important to the fans and to both schools. I wish Utah the best going forward in the PAC 12.
    I have had some interactions with Coach K in several of the competitive leagues around the valley. He is a good dude. I was happy to see him willing to forgive Mr. Emery. Good sportsmanship prevailed on Saturday and ultimately that is more important than wins and losses.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 3:41 p.m.

I was even impressed with Coach K's post-game comments. Seems like a little more decorum by both schools players and coaches. Maybe it's even filtering down to the fan bases. Let's hope so.

• Michigan Cougsfan68 Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 9, 2018 2:08 p.m.

Meckofahess,
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!! So glad to get back to stories about what happened in a hard fought rivalry game and not all the personal off the court mess!

• SorryNotSorry Draper, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 1:17 p.m.

Now we need Max to give some people some bro hugs to end the curse!!!

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 11:00 a.m.

This is probably the best story of the rivalry matchup! I was very impressed with Coach Krystkowiak's action and comments about and toward Nick Emery. I also appreciated Nick's action and deportment before, during and after this game.

Kudos to both of these men, I hope this kind of feeling between the two continues.