Utah State hires Gary Andersen as head football coach for the second time

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2018 7:30 a.m.

THEREALND - Mishawaka, IN
    Dec. 9, 2018 6:27 p.m.
    9 years as a head coach with a 52W - 54L record. I don't get the fascination and enthusiasm with this hire.

------------

* Build USU from a dumpster fire to 2nd in State.

* Won at Wisconsin.

* Lost at a dumpster fire in Oregon State (so did Sitake), left $12M on the table.

• Tomahawk Red Miami Beach, FL
    Dec. 10, 2018 6:30 p.m.

Naval Vet - Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 9, 2018 4:10 p.m.

Good for the Aggies.

Bad for the Utes.

---------------

I disagree. Gary helped this year but he was by no means an integral part of our success.

I dare say we wont even notice he's gone next year.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 4:08 p.m.

Has anyone heard of any assistants he is bringing in?

I heard Wells took a lot of the coaches...

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 10:06 a.m.

@SoonerUte:

That was a good line, I got a good chuckle out of that one! Good luck to the Sooners and Go Cougs!

• thebig1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 9:46 a.m.

I'll give him a week then he will move on, hey USU Urban is free did you even give hm a call?

• top of the world ,
    Dec. 10, 2018 9:40 a.m.

Sooner Ute...do all of your comments need to be laced with sarcasm? Go Aggies, take another win into the new year. Next year will be another success story. I hope you win them all except one. How could I ever hope you beat the Cougs? This is an exciting time to be an Aggie fan.

Speaking of fans, go pack the stadium for your bowl game.

Thanks for the quick breaking of this very welcome news, DN.

• top of the world ,
    Dec. 10, 2018 9:28 a.m.

BYU fan here who is elated that the Aggies have yet another coach who will continue the strong upward thrust of the Aggie sports program. You're way up there now and I see even more great things to come.

USU has always been one of my favorite universities, and how can one ever find a greater location that in that beautiful valley. You have it all.

I realize this is a football article, but to me it's far more. It's a reminder to me of many of the greats who put on a uniform in Cache Valley, two of them being basketball stars who rose to the highest level of collegiate fame. Mike Santos was one of the greatest ever. He could have played for any school in the country. And to me, an eighty year old sports nut who has seen many of the all-time great ones, Wayne Estes sits as the one of the best of the best. Had not a bizarre accident claimed his life following his memorable, record-breaking game with Denver, he would have been another Jerry West.

There have been many other USU athletes who rose to stardom...these are two who I happen to hold in great esteem.

Best of success, Coach Anderson. I hope the Y and USU continue to play for many years. It's a great relationship.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 8:33 a.m.

I love the hire. The man has connections to the school and community already. He has a proven track record with schools like Utah State. UNC just rehired Mack Brown as well. Its cool to see these coaches coming back to where they were before - and trying to see if they could reignite the same magic.

Really good hire. Here is hoping all the best for Utah State.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Dec. 10, 2018 7:16 a.m.

It would seem that the re-hiring of Andersen by Whitt was really just as a result of friendship without any expectation that he would stay too long. The re-hiring of Andersen by USU is for real and they should expect Andersen to be there for the rest of his career. A nice gesture by Whitt, IMO, and a very sound move by USU.

• Aggies#1 MURRAY, UT
    Dec. 10, 2018 1:44 a.m.

@THEREALND
    You don't understand the history of Aggie football prior to Coach A. He took us to being a field goal away from going to the Orange Bowl! He put USU football back on the map! So great to have coach A back! Great hire! So excited for Aggie football! Now go and crush UNT!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 10:38 p.m.

Great hire for USU.

Now that he's agreed to leave Utah, I hope he is able to stay there until he retires and can continue building that program. Given the small market, USU has done amazingly well and competes against markets much larger in Fresno and Boise.

I would like to see the rivalry with Utah State and the Utes pick back up. Most years I count my Utes lucky to face BYU instead of the Aggies, including this year.

Best of Luck to Coach Andersen and the Aggies, even though I'm saddened to see him go.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 9:54 p.m.

USC's DLine coach, Kenechi Udeze has been let go. I understand he's a terrific recruiter. Come on, Kyle. Make a deal. πŸ‘

• durwood kirby Preston, ID
    Dec. 9, 2018 9:50 p.m.

How could you not hire this guy?

• DaveWY Afton, WY
    Dec. 9, 2018 9:18 p.m.

This BYU fan is delighted to hear Coach Andersen is returning to Utah State. What a great coach to keep the program moving forward. Congratulations!

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 8:36 p.m.

"He's been a part of the coaching staff that just won a Pac-12 South Division title this season."

I wouldn't put too much weight into that. The entire P12 was fairly weak this season but the south was especially weak.

• AlwaysAnAggie Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 8:26 p.m.

Absolute best scenario for USU. I love this hire. Other big names applied, but in my mind they had their baggage too.

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 8:24 p.m.

He seems to be a good person

• Suttree Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 7:58 p.m.

That is awesome. What a journey following his couching career. Will be glad with welcoming arms to see him back in Logan. Was afraid the Aggies, and no one expected them to win on the smurf turf, would go back to what, they won two or three games for two years after the lastest Head coach departure? Beat the Y I know that.

Anyway, welcome back Gary. Much success to you.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 7:35 p.m.

It appears the Andersen effect has already began. Tolau is transferring from the y, and it appears at least one Utah coach will go to Logan with Gary.

It remains to be seen if the kids he was recruiting for Utah will stay committed or if some will be swayed to Logan. It seems like byu and USU go head to head for more of the same kids, so it could hurt Kalani more than Kyle.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 6:54 p.m.

Get Ty Detmer for QB coach. LOL!

• FanOf"ChuckARama" Vernal, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 6:45 p.m.

I think his ultimate dream job is KW's job.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Dec. 9, 2018 6:27 p.m.

• Oregon Ute Hermiston, OR
    Dec. 9, 2018 6:26 p.m.

Congratulations to Coach Anderson. We will miss him at the U. He is a great assistant coach. I wish him nothing but the best. I think some people are cut out for head coaching and some are cut out to be great assistant coaches. I think coach Anderson is in the latter group. I think he will do a good job at Utah State, however, I think he makes a better assistant coach than a head coach. If it doesn't work out at Utah State I would welcome him back at Utah. Fantastic D line coach.

• zgomer Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 6:08 p.m.

USU just will never learn their lesson, he is gone in 2 maybe 3 years...

• QDiesel SLC, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 5:31 p.m.

Now waiting for the article in a few years of him taking the job at Wisconsin again and starring with Bill Murray in Groundhog Day 2!

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    Dec. 9, 2018 4:44 p.m.

Really excited about the prospects for Aggie football. Coach Andersen will have an excellent core of veteran players to build upon and his reputation as a recruiter makes one expect significant improvement in talent. It will be interesting to see who the assistant coaches and coordinators are going to be (will really miss Yost). I think this is the best possible hire for USU because it does at least offer the hope that Andersen will be around for a long, long time.

• Utah_State_Fan Logan, Utah
    Dec. 9, 2018 4:41 p.m.

Just like in the parable, a lot of people aren't happy with the return of the prodigal son.

I, however, welcome you home Coach. Go Aggies! Go Gary Andersen.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 9, 2018 4:10 p.m.

Good for the Aggies.

Bad for the Utes.

We'll miss you Gary! Good luck in your next head coaching stop.

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 4:12 p.m.

He is a great coach and we are super lucky to have him back.

I had a friend who played for him at USU and then a cousin who played for him at Oregon State. Both have nothing to say but great things about Gary. He cares a TON about his players -- both on and off the field. He puts player education and well-being (including mental and emotional well-being) first. He cares a ton about his coaching staff and goes to bat for them and gives them opportunities when most wouldn't. He is a firm believer in forgiveness and gives people second and even third chances. His staff and his players are loyal to him because he is loyal to them first.

When he makes a mistake, he owns it, which is why he walked from $12 million at Oregon State. Oh, and when he left USU to go to Wisconsin, he called every single player on the team and made a very sizable personal donation to the athletics program just for good measure. That is just the type of class act he is.

All the more fitting that he retake this position. It is a tough loss for the U I am sure, but Gary is a head coach through and though.

Welcome home, Coach A. And, yes, Go Aggies!

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Dec. 9, 2018 4:10 p.m.

From my many of years of management experience, I am pretty certain that those hired a second time are very likely to stay and be more loyal than other employees. 1) They tend to recognize the good environment they left before; 2) They are quite thankful to have been rehired; 3) They don't want to screw up a good thing like they did before by leaving.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence and they have learned it the hard way.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 4:02 p.m.

Congratulations and good luck, Gary. You're gonna need a Defensive Coordinator.
    Who was your DC at OSU? Oh, that's right...

"Kalani, it's Gary. We're getting the band back together".
    #BluesBrothers2019

• Mark321 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 3:59 p.m.

Although there were other good candidates, USU chose wisely on this one. Despite things not going well at Oregon State, Coach Andersen knows how to win here because he's done it before.

• The Great Helmsman Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 3:51 p.m.

β€œThere's an old saying in Tennessee β€” I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee β€” that says, fool me once, shame on β€” shame on you. Fool me β€” you can't get fooled again.”

― George W. Bush

• uterebel50 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 3:47 p.m.

Good luck, Gary, and thanks for helping out this year. The Ute defensive tackles were much improved due to your work with them. You will be missed.

Go Utes! Go Aggies!

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Dec. 9, 2018 3:41 p.m.

Great hire, he'll do well again.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 3:25 p.m.

Of course!

Good move!

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 9, 2018 3:20 p.m.

Good for USU. bad for Utah. Hear he is taking JustinE. As DC.