'He is a human being': Colorado family urges leniency for Utah driver in crash that killed toddler

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Dec. 7, 2018 12:14 p.m.

Very touching story to inspire us to be more forgiving. It is also be a sobering lesson for us who drive motor vehicles. Driving is an activity that demands our full attention every second we are behind the wheel.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Dec. 7, 2018 10:47 a.m.

These tragedies are heart breaking. We all daily make mistakes, take things for granted and are sometimes just not using wisdom in what we do. Thank goodness for forgiveness and I hope this young man truly learns the power of wisdom and will never, ever....not pay attention to his driving. This family is remarkable in their forgiveness and I know the Lord's precious blessings will be with every one of them. You will be in my prayers.

• Anonymous100 Anywhere, UT
    Dec. 7, 2018 10:34 a.m.

Wow! What an amazing family and such an incredible example of forgiveness. I drive a lot on our roads here in Utah and see A LOT of distracted driving, almost all of it phone related in one form or another. I also see a lot of very dangerous driving with sudden lane changes, squeezing in between cars at 60 mph-plus when there really was no room for the move (and no, just because you signaled does not give you the right to do it), and worst of all, intentionally running red lights because your time is more important than anyone else's and you cannot wait the minute or two before the light turns green, again. I feel very bad for the Parkinson family, and I applaud their ability to forgive, but to cross over so many lanes to cause this accident was just irresponsible and preventable. It should not have happened. In addition to the focus on forgiveness, I hope readers take note of the accident itself and become more self-aware in how they drive. Slow down and STAY OFF YOUR PHONE/DEVICES!

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Dec. 7, 2018 10:33 a.m.

It brings many tears at the loss of such a very precious child. It's unfortunate that adults have to experience this type of tragedy to realize the importance of observing and paying attention to the laws. My heart goes out to this family and I do hope the driver will repent and make some serious changes in his driving habits....he is fortunate that the family was not filled with vengeance and hate. My love goes out to this special family.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2018 8:26 a.m.

I have a 2 year old son and I'm not sure I could have the same level of compassion as this family if someone negligently killed him. I of course hope I never have to go through the pain they must be going through, but if I do I hope I can follow their example. I have a lot of respect for them and pray for them to be comforted at this impossibly hard time in their lives.

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 7, 2018 5:18 a.m.

This is amazing

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Dec. 6, 2018 8:52 p.m.

I hope every on has a speedy recovery. Learning to live with the memories an regrets will always be with them. I wish them all well. What a love story. I hope to fallow their example.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2018 8:47 p.m.

Hope he has to help pay all their medical bills if they didn't get offered a hefty settlement by his employer. Admire their willingness to forgive and walk a higher road. Hopefully, he uses that opportunity to take good care of his family and do what he can to help this family and his community.

• mallow Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 6, 2018 6:32 p.m.

You are a remarkable family. Thank you for your example. Have a blessed Christmas.

• Harrison Bergeron Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2018 4:33 p.m.

This story makes me cry. The Parkinson family fills me with both admiration and humility. I'm not sure I could ever reach their level of love and forgiveness. I'm simply awed by such people. I hope they are rewarded both in this life and the next for such nobility.