BYU legend Ty Detmer on his love of hunting, his time coaching at BYU and what the future may hold

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Dec. 7, 2018 4:11 p.m.

As far as I'm concerned, boot Kalani and hire Ty as HC. Within a few years, Ty would have a self perpetuating football program humming along the way we all know it could, without a stable of beginners and amateurs trying to learn their jobs all at the same time. Had he been let alone to complete what he started, we'd be looking at a much more complete and branded product with players recruited to it coming on in 2019. The most valuable football asset BYU has in it's association is this man, and it's tragic and wrong not to have him on staff or better yet, in charge.

• don jackson Atlanta, GA
    Dec. 7, 2018 9:28 a.m.

Enjoyed reading about Ty Detmer and his hunting ranch, very impressive on what he created. Ty is a class act and greatly respected on whatever he does.

• MacD slc, UT
    Dec. 6, 2018 12:28 p.m.

He hunts because he enjoys growing and developing the animals for harvest.
    I am sure none of these animals are wasted. They are fully utilized
    for family table meat.
    If you eat meat , animals are being killed.
    Ty prefers to do it himself
    as organically, humanely, and with great respect to each animal.

• Crazy in California Acampo, CA
    Dec. 6, 2018 12:24 p.m.

Greatest respect and appreciation for Ty.

Hope he is involved with BYU football sometime in the future.

• dwin AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 10:54 p.m.

Classy Ty Detmer. We ought to make him the BYU Athletic Director. #MakeBYUSportsGreatAgain

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Dec. 5, 2018 10:01 p.m.

Ty talked about lower academic standards when we was a student. Why not go back to the same standards today for student athletes?
    Great article, Ty should have been made QB coach not OC to begin with. The positive side with Grimes we got Zach Wilson.

• Nadya92129 San Diego, CA
    Dec. 5, 2018 4:29 p.m.

Mr Detmer, tell me how a follower of Jesus Christ can stalk, torture, murder and desecrate the corpses of gentle, innocent animals that have done you not one bit of harm.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 5, 2018 4:21 p.m.

Loved the article. Love the man. As a hunter and sportsman myself, not a big fan of canned hunts. But I understand the business and the hard work that goes into running a ranch like this.
    I would imagine Ty still has some hard feelings over last year’s fiasco, but you’d never know by his class act. Although I think the decision to let him go was the correct one, I will always have the deepest respect and admiration for the guy. I would LOVE it if New Orleans hired him.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 3:34 p.m.

Ty is one of the class acts in the world. One of the best people to ever play the game, at BYU or anywhere. It's too bad every Heisman Trophy winner isn't as good of a human being as Ty Detmer. He sets a high bar.

As for all the negative hunting comments - Hunting isn't my thing either. But guarantee that Ty is as respectful a hunter as there ever was. He likely uses the spoils of the hunt for food, wastes less than the typical American, and is likely more grateful than all the store/fast-food meat buyers that every lived. I don't begrudge Ty for his lifestyle which includes hunting. His lifestyle is likely less impacting on the earth than the suburbanites who drive to get their food from grocery stores, eat things that they are clueless about how they are grown/raised, or the sacrifices of those who work to get it on the store shelves. Ty, Cougar Nation holds you in the highest regard. There are few people who are regarded as highly by so many as Ty Detmer.

Ty can hold his head high for a life well lived. Many on this thread and others like them who throw tomatoes at the likes of Ty Detmer, well, not so much.

• KLL Coug Visalia, CA
    Dec. 5, 2018 2:16 p.m.

Thank you Ty, for everything you did, and are doing for The Y.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 1:56 p.m.

@ConradGurch, if you haven't learned, ekpuke likes to disparage anything BYU at every opportunity, just like the other ankle biters who get so off topic, they can't even enjoy a good article on a really good man who was a legend at BYU. I loved the hunting stories here in Utah with Ty and Doug Miller and loved this article too. Thanks Ty and best of luck in all your endevors and those of your family.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 5, 2018 1:42 p.m.

but I still think it's a place where a quarterback makes it go. "

No question about it. That's the way it was, and the way it still is. If you don't have a good qb, you just don't win much. BYU is on the right track now.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2018 1:25 p.m.

@Brave Sir Robin - San Diego, CA

Guess i'm a little out of touch but who is BYU-P?

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 1:17 p.m.

ekute,
    Stick to your own hobbies, like pretending you understand football. A .270 mag is perfect for deer and boar.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 1:13 p.m.

Ty was so fun to watch. BYU was good then and Ty was the best in the nation in my opinion. Nobody saw the field like him and could make plays. Amazing player. Great person.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 12:13 p.m.

I wondered what D-News readers would read while all the conference honors are in the news. Here's the answer.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 12:01 p.m.

Hunting is a way to develop relationships and bond with family and friends, and develop a great respect, and love for wildlife and nature. It is extremely hard work to run a ranch the way TD does. I admire him for it and would love to live that life. Hunting is a great way to manage healthy herds / population of all big game, small game and game birds. It is not for everyone but it is necessary since humans have taken away so much habitat. Without humans the cycle of wildlife populations would be feast or famine with populations exploding, then many species starving out a few years later to a small percentage of what they were a few years before.
    Ty was a great BYU qb who won a lot of games. Proof that he still gets under some ute's skins are demonstrated in the inferiority complex some have displayed in the comments on this article.

• Deej Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 10:54 a.m.

I don't get how shooting animals who have been bred, fed, and raised to be shot while being confined to his property by fences constitutes hunting, but to each his own I guess.

• observator east of the snake river, ID
    Dec. 5, 2018 10:15 a.m.

I wouldn't put him in the "killing for the pleasure..." category. Certainly, he enjoys a hunt. But he also responsibly uses what he harvests, and doesn't waste. No different than a rancher.

• BYU Sports Nut Heber City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 10:04 a.m.

Ty should never have been hired at BYU if the rumors are true and he wasn't Kalani's guy.
    Ty Detmer will be fantastic when put in a position to build a team and program of his own.
    Ty should have been hired as the quarterbacks coach and offensive design coach. Let him do what he is best at.
    The comment about Washington state is spot on and yes that is the type of program and offense we want. Mike Leach Studied by sitting in the stands at games and practices while a student at BYU. He learned from the best and remembers the Doug Scovil offense better than anyone in the NCAA. Ty didn't even learn from Scovil but rather Norm Chow who ran a similar offense but still not as daring or creative as Mike Leach or Doug Scovil.
    Pass first, often and creatively to Tight ends, Running backs with a run or a long throw thrown in for balance from time to time should be the mantra and the Offense at BYU.
    I love the article. I thank Ty for his service to BYU and for his gentlemanly character.

• Kaladin Northern, CO
    Dec. 5, 2018 9:44 a.m.

Great article. Ty Detmer is an amazing man.

• What Matters Here Cedar City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 9:38 a.m.

Go Ty! The Man is an offensive genius, ask Brett Favre! I was really disappointed by the way he was treated by BYU Football, it was injuries at the quarterback position that hurt the Cougars in 2016, not the OC. I wish you the very best Ty!

• RawleighG Sandy, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 9:20 a.m.

This was a fantastic article. I really enjoyed it.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 5, 2018 8:56 a.m.

Maybe Ty should try his hand at being an offensive coordinator for a college football team. BYU-P may be looking for one soon...

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2018 8:42 a.m.

Best of luck to Ty Detmer! BYU made a mistake by letting him go!

• timpanogos2 Lehi, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 8:36 a.m.

I’ve always loved watching you play and your life unfold! Thanks, Ty!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 8:37 a.m.

Detmer is a great guy. He is smart and talented. I truly wish him the very best in all things.

However.... the hunting thing leave me cold. Killing for the pleasure of killing. I'm not on board with that.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 8:29 a.m.

A .270 Weatherby Magnum seems like overkill for wild boar.

He's a better man than me...“What happened with Ty and why was he let go the way it happened? He never says anything about why and he never puts any blame on anything or anyone.”..."The biggest difference was BYU's defense."

• Dennis Harrisville, UT
    Dec. 5, 2018 8:21 a.m.

Very few things in life are less impressive than someone who hunts and kills just they like it. He's on my list of someone to ignore.