BYU women's volleyball: Cougars hit on all cylinders to get past Utah in straight sets

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 4, 2018 10:08 p.m.

I love BYU Women's Volleyball. We watch every game broadcast on incredible BYUtv!

Just a comment: It was fascinating to watch the face of the Utah coach in last week's game. Heather Olmstead was one of her assistants for several years. The look of disappointment and right out anguish on her face was hard to escape.

Go BYU Women's Volleyball against Florida!! You can do it! WIN!!

• CoHawk Littleton, CO
    Dec. 3, 2018 12:08 p.m.

Metamora: One more follow up. Advantage BYU in the passing dept with Lake.... who I think could and will be on the Olympic team ..... she is that good. Advantage BYU with Eppich at setter. My gut feel is advantage BYU at OH with a draw at MB. Advantage FL at Opp and advantage to the Gators in blocking. One more thing ....... and I hate to say this and receive scorn from all of you but advantage in the head coaching dept is FL. Mary Wise is just fantastic. The experience factor and longevity is heavily weighted in Florida's direction. Is Olmstead a prodigy? I think so, but Mary Wise has brought more wins to the table than any other D-1 vb coach in the U.S. This will be a battle ...... don't look past FL for TX, yet.

• CoHawk Littleton, CO
    Dec. 3, 2018 11:56 a.m.

Metamora: Since last years exit from the NCAA tourney courtesy of Kentucky's OH, I have thought about what could have been done differently to put up a better block on an all-American OH who stands 6'4" but 20/20 rear-view mirror coaching isn't a reality. Sometime defense is better than offense. The reality is that it isn't very often in sports or life that you get to climb the highest Mt or seize that one opportunity that defines being the best. So, Olmstead has Florida on Fri and they present a huge, literally, challenge. BYU will be considerably shorter than FL. 6'8" MB and 6'7" Opp! A team leading 6'3" OH and it goes on from there. They swept #2 Nebraska with a healthy lineup. FL runs a 6-2 so that puts 3 legit hitters and blockers on the front line. This is a big obstacle for BYU. Miller's injury is concerning, but the little talked about Hamson injury may be huge. From here on, BYU has to block well. A 6'7" Opp is going to determine if FL wins this match or not. Olmstead will have to have an answer to block her. Our MB's should cancel out theirs. RJP should cancel FL OH. BYU's passing will be key as will Eppich's setting/blocking. Let the Fun begin!

• VietCougars Vietnam, 00
    Dec. 3, 2018 3:27 a.m.

Hi everyone, I live in Vietnam. Many thanks to the donors for keep BYUtv operation running. I love watching BYU Cougars women's volleyball team on BYUtv. Wish them the best of luck against Florida.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Dec. 2, 2018 9:01 p.m.

When the Cougs lost to LMU, I feared the season would end with a whimper. Maybe they’ve recovered now and are ready to use the home-court advantage to go deeper in the tournament. I’d really like to see what they can do on a neutral court against top competition.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    Dec. 2, 2018 7:55 p.m.

I have been able to take in some BYU women's volleyball this season on TV. What an incredible team! You are so focused, intense, and just plain athletic! Best wishes with the rest of the tournament. It's exciting to see the Smith Fieldhouse packed to the rafters with volleyball fans.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Dec. 2, 2018 6:22 p.m.

Great job ladies! I read an article in a competing newspaper that questioned if BYU could beat a "hot" Utah team. I think these women answered that question.

• Bigger Bubba Herriman, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 4:51 p.m.

I was at the game. The energy was amazing. This BYU team is the complete package. They dig, pass, set, block, and hit so well. It is something else to see. They beat the Utes, a very good team with excellent hitters.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 3:14 p.m.

Congratulations Lady Cougs!

Impressive domination of the Utes.

Good luck against Florida!

💙🤙🏐

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Dec. 2, 2018 2:21 p.m.

For the record, I love the team and put my $$$ where they belong. On BYU giving day, I donated to Women's volleyball!

Like Water Rocket, I appreciate BYUtv and its coverage of all BYU sports though especially the volleyball team this season. I donate $$$ there too.

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 1:19 p.m.

This is an amazing BYU Womens Volleyball team. I hope they keep winning.

• cdchat5855 Meridian, ID
    Dec. 2, 2018 11:55 a.m.

Brandon Gurney wrote a great article on BYU Volleyball, but failed to tell us when and where BYU plays again.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 11:35 a.m.

Congratulations. Impressive.

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 10:29 a.m.

Great job Lady Cougars!

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 10:10 a.m.

I will add my voice to those who show appreciation for these volleyball games being televised. My wife and I are both senior citizens who can't get to the games, but we love watching them on BYUtv. If there are any potential sponsors out there wondering if they should support these games by advertising, the very easy answer is to jump in. You would get far more bang for your buck! For those who already do advertise on BYUtv, to make televising these games possible, I say THANK YOU! To the volleyball team, my wife and I love you and your hard work. We miss Ms. Miller, but the rest of the team have stepped up very well. We hope you can go all the way, and show the doubters that your #1 ranking for the season was well deserved.

• top of the world ,
    Dec. 2, 2018 9:46 a.m.

I was one of those who questioned whether or not we could turn things around. The team showed me. I love volleyball and the clinic they put on last night was something to behold. It wasn't so much that the Utes are not a pretty good team, it was a matter of the Utes meeting up with a dynamic group of ladies who play together in an amazing display of what team work means. The Utah loss last night was nearly identical to the three set loss they suffered at Stanford earlier in the season. Best of success next weekend, ladies. Congrats to the team and some great coaches.

And what a crowd. Hope they break the attendance record against Florida.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Dec. 2, 2018 9:43 a.m.

CoHawk: I have appreciated your analysis of the volleyball team in recent comments to other articles. Do you feel the improved play of OH Maddie Robinson and the middles will get the team past Florida and (probably) Texas?

• Bluefan AMERICAN CANYON, CA
    Dec. 2, 2018 8:36 a.m.

Congrats to the women volleyball team. Heather Omstead is doing a fantastic job with the program. Same goes for Diljeet Taylor and Ed Eyestone with the cross country and track programs.

I have to agree with CoHawk about the men's basketball program which has been in decline for the last several years. I thought the skill level of our players would improve with the addition of the new annex facility. It hasn't appeared to have helped. We'll see what Nick Emery can do to turn the tide but this team is headed nowhere fast.

• iNKSpot Wilsonville, OR
    Dec. 2, 2018 8:26 a.m.

I was delighted that this weekend's games were televised so that we could watch from here in Oregon! :-)

• SorryNotSorry Draper, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 8:15 a.m.

Way to go ladies! Way to avenge the loss in football!

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 8:06 a.m.

BYU could play in the Marriott Center but they lose some of the home court advantage. The Smith Fieldhouse is perfect for volleyball.

It's like Duke basketball. Of course they could have bigger crowds in a bigger arena but Cameron Indoor is intimidating to the visitors.

• Earl Arbol HEBER CITY, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 7:52 a.m.

Most dominate team of any type in the start of Utah...BYU women's volleyball. Love to watch them play!

• Mick , 00
    Dec. 2, 2018 6:55 a.m.

Malihini-

The Smith fieldhouse has a much much better home court advantage. The crowd is almost on top of the other team.

• Youngatheart Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 6:27 a.m.

I believe the admin is doing exactly what they should do, by keeping these matches in Smith Field House. There is history and tradition there. There is power in that place; how close the crowd is to the court, and the way it sounds and echoes, it is overwhelming to opposing teams. Don’t get me wrong, I believe BYU volleyball has more than earned a new volleyball facility... but this late in the game, I don’t think we want to be switching things.

• BlueHusky Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 5:19 a.m.

@Malihini

The Smith Fieldhouse has a special floor for volleyball. It is also very intimate - everybody is close to the court. They could build a new arena, I guess.

I don't think I've seen a team as dominating as this one since the great UCLA basketball teams of the 1960's. You go, Girls. The great Heather Olmstead teams could make history.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Dec. 2, 2018 12:20 a.m.

PAC and WCC champions! Keep the slaughterhouse running!

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    Dec. 1, 2018 11:09 p.m.

Oops, how did this happen? Utah is a member of the PAC-12 but I guess some only like football. Congratulations to both teams for making it this far

• CoHawk Littleton, CO
    Dec. 1, 2018 10:53 p.m.

This Utah match was a clinic by the Olmstead run cougars. Every point is important and rotations and personnel changed from the Stony Brook match. The Robinson girl looked really good at OH and the MB's are getting better and better. Jones Perry is just on another level. Passing, for the most part did a very good job of keeping BYU in system. Congrats to all the coaches and players.

#1 OH for Utah is a lefty and appears to be the only girl on the Utah roster who is actually from Utah. She is a big time player. Surprised that Utah doesn't recruit Utah in vb. That says something about Olmstead's influence over the prep scene in-State. Maybe when Olmstead visits a recruits house she could inquire about brothers who play basketball so that she could close that deal for Rose!

The attendance was great tonight ..... I think it was very fortunate that the BYU mens bb team was away at Weber because the girls would have had 2 times the attendance as Rose and Co. Maybe we should ask Holmoe to exchange Rose's salary with Olmstead because she actually deserves an extension and the money that Rose is being gifted. I say gifted ..... because it isn't being earned!

• Malihini Northern, UT
    Dec. 1, 2018 10:46 p.m.

Congratulations to BYU women’s volleyball.
    These matches are exciting and lots of fun to watch. I have to wonder with these bigger and bigger crowds why doesn’t BYU move them to the Marriott Center? You would think somebody in the BYU admin would think about that and make it happen.
    Go Cougars ..... keep it rolling