These children are more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD, new study finds

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2018 4:48 p.m.

"overdiagnosed and overtreated for ADHD"

Say it ain't so! That is the most ridiculous understatement of the year. ADHD has been overdiagnosed consistently for more than 30 years. Especially when it is the school that is doing the diagnosis (which is the common practice anytime an untrained teacher doesn't know how to handle a classroom of young children).

The same teachers don't even read the DSM; it is above their IQ... they look for "signs" that they have heard about, and those "signs" are present in every single child out there.

It takes study and time with the child to determining when those "signs" are outside the normative factors for childhood. And the school system (even with an occasional "counselor") doesn't have a clue.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Dec. 3, 2018 7:54 p.m.

Because my birthday was just a few days before the cutoff date, I was the youngest and smallest kid in my class. I was also a misfit and felt inferior most of the time. I hated school and my grades showed it. I eventually caught up and finished two masters degrees but I would have been so much better off and better adjusted if my folks had kept me back a year in kindergarten. Consequently, we kept our youngest son out of school for a year because his birthday was just a couple days before the cutoff date. He loved school. He was an excellent student, took state in L/D debate when he was a sophomore and, skipped his senior year to go to college graduating with a 4.0. The fact is that for the average boy, he's only about 80% as old as the oldest child in the class. For many, that's a real disadvantage. Girls are also naturally ahead of boys at the same age. Ideally, girls should be able to start school about six months before boys. But, I don't think that will ever happen.

• rusby Minneapolis, MN
    Dec. 3, 2018 12:30 p.m.

One indicator of ADHD is how someone responds to Caffeine. I was diagnosed with add-i in my late thirties, but really it is a possible subset called SCT. I always wondered why caffeine never kept me awake and actually makes me drowsy. Just testing my tolerances, I once, possibly unwisely, took 480 mgs of caffeine in a 15 min span. I was profoundly asleep 15 minutes later. People with ADD generally don't get hyper in response to caffeine. So if your kid does get more hyper with caffeine, I'd be suspicious of a diagnosis and would hold off using any medication so they can grow out of it possibly.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Dec. 3, 2018 11:14 a.m.

So, as anyone with common sense has always known, "ADHD" is really just "childhood".

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2018 8:16 a.m.

Maybe the problem is kindergarten; could be the children need more time at home with mom. There was a time, at least here in Utah there was no kindergarten. What stress is there in kindergarten, except being away from mom and home ? For members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and other churches, going to Primary or religious classes for 18 months of age ( nursery ) and up, being taught by neighbors for 1-2 hours once a week, is a weaning process that works well. But, some children may need more time in this process. Mom time needs more study as to quality and duration, by moms.

• 3Boys Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 7:00 p.m.

The kids born in August are allowed into kindergarten because they turn 5 just in time (before that Sept. 1 deadline). Kids born after Sep 1 would be turning 6, so those August birthday kids can be close to a year younger than some of their classmates. Thus, their behavior is a year less mature. Interesting article. I have a 3 year old with an end of August birthday.

• geekusprimus Little Elm, TX
    Dec. 2, 2018 5:56 p.m.

No doubt that ADHD is overdiagnosed. Some children are easily bored; they're older and more mentally developed or just naturally gifted, so they grasp the material quicker, get bored, and find ways to entertain themselves in ways that might be disruptive. Some probably don't pay attention because their parents never required it. In the end, though, overdiagnosing is bad because it takes away valuable resources and contaminates research intended to help children who do legitimately have ADHD.

• lnkmom Lehi, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 2:48 p.m.

All my kids have what UT schools would consider a "late" Birthday. All started school at 4 yrs old (then turned 5 a month or two into the year) in New England. They were 100% ready for school and now two are in High school and currently on High Honor Roll. One kid was in Kindergarten when we moved to UT and the district sent him back to preschool (after already having 2 full years in our previous state)... the reason he couldn't stay, even though he was already 5years old at that point?? His Birthday was after Sept 1. He is now bored on a daily basis, because he is the oldest in his grade.

Parents know if their children are ready for school. Two years of preschool, reading daily at home, knowing the alphabet (and writing it), counting to 100, etc... as well as being able to listen and sit quietly for a story... all things my kids could do, yet some arbitrary cut off date precluded them from going to school in this state. That combined with too many parents holding their sons back for sports (thanks a bunch Mr. Gladwell)... creates real problems in the classroom. I don't know what the solutions are, but parental involvement is definitely one of them.

• Thomas Paine South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 12:06 p.m.

Unfortunately, there are too many misdiagnosed cases of ADHD. This may be the result of the result of the trend to control children’s actions and behaviors rather than utilizing them. So a kid can’t sit for long? Figure out how that child learns and adapt. But parents and teachers would rather control children rather than adapting.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2018 10:02 a.m.

Interesting. But, does the diagnosis of ADHD leave the kid with a label that they get into because of the diagnosis, with influence from the parent. Or, do they grow out of the stigma once they hit 2nd grade?

Conversely, wouldn't the kids born in August and not allowed to get into kindergarten until the following year be older than the August kids starting that same year?

This study doesn't seem to make sense.