Court documents: Latter-day Saint antiques dealer sold fake items, stole rare photos

• H. Bob Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2018 11:44 a.m.

Given the kind of security measures that Utah libraries implemented after the Hoffmann forgeries, I'm surprised this could have happened. Then again, I don't know what the BYU or USU security is like; I've only gone to the U of U Marriott library post-Hoffmann. But that was eye-opening enough. You weren't allowed to bring in any outside materials; you could use a library-supplied pencil on library-supplied colored paper, and any materials you wanted to look at would be brought out and returned by library personnel, who monitored the reading room. With those restrictions, I don't know how you'd be able to swap out a photo, even if you'd stuffed it into your clothing somehow.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2018 10:45 a.m.

It's hard to believe this is still happening after all the publicity of Mark Hoffman and his amazing story of sociopathic fraud and murder.

I guess the notoriety wears off after 35+ years.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 25, 2018 7:54 p.m.

This is a sad story. Beware of those who would put on a sheep's clothing over their wolf's body. How insidious the love of money can be and how completely it can corrupt even seemingly good people.

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 25, 2018 5:41 p.m.

How sad...

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 25, 2018 2:10 p.m.

People / Universities with rare documents need to have a room for people to inspect the documents that have cameras in them.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 25, 2018 2:03 p.m.

This is why I will not buy rare coins. These too, are too easily countfited.

I've had phone sales companies call me offering to sell coins valued because of their numustic value. I told them I don't buy such coins because they can be counterfeited and one never knows if they are a counterfeit or not.

The salesman then said that any coin they sell has a certificate of authenticity. I almost laughed telling the salesman how can I know the certificate is telling the truth.