Utes win Pac-12 South, will play in conference championship game after Oregon beats Arizona State

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 22, 2018 6:18 p.m.

jskm,

It's not where you are in the third quarter that counts, it's where you are at the end of the game. Most people that follow sports already know this. Go Aggies...

• JSKM1232 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 22, 2018 11:13 a.m.

@Sports Nutz - Smithfield, UT

"robin,

I guess the voters were impressed enough with the Aggies season as they are still ranked higher than the team from slc in both the AP and Coaches Polls. That has to sting. Also, the Aggies won on the road while playing an awful game while your slc team lost by 18 on the road when they played awful. I am glad the people who actually have a vote in these matters, agree with me. Aggies>slcteam"
    - - - - - -
    The ONLY poll that counts this time of year is the CFP. Utes>loganteam

• JSKM1232 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 22, 2018 11:09 a.m.

@Ute buster - Salt Lake City, UT

"Not a big deal winning a division full of sub par teams. The south is the worst of any p5. Enjoy your 5 minutes of fame. Everyone has one sometime. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in awhile"
    - - - - - -
    Just like 1984, am I right?

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 19, 2018 2:30 p.m.

Brigham-Provo fans must also realize that LDS legacy families make phone calls and their kids are granted admission to BYU regardless of any academic requirement. That is how it works there.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 19, 2018 2:19 p.m.

I hope my Utes stay healthy and compete in the PAC CG admirably, hopefully win it and play in the Rose Bowl. We DO HAVE a good chance folks!

Goooooo Utes!

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 19, 2018 1:42 p.m.

wallbanger,

Seeing as I have now had posts removed and some not put on here, I will be done with this. It has been fun going back and forth with fans from other teams, but all good things must come to an end. I hope my Aggies keep it rolling.....

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 19, 2018 11:33 a.m.

@ BYU-realistic,

BYU athletes that are offered scholarships ONLY have to qualify for the NCAA minimum mandatory...........a 2.4 high school GPA and a 17 ACT test score. That is also and ONLY what they must maintain while attending BYU. BYU "walk-ons" must compete for academic admission vs all BYU applicants.......and that is hard to do in fact. The honor code and who owns BYU is what causes the lack of decent talent that will ever consider BYU. Those are the facts pal! Good luck!

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 19, 2018 10:33 a.m.

@Cougsndawgs,

This season for me has turned out to be a lotto ticket for me. You can ask our friend London Josh. We talk, and he knows how I bet and who I take every game. I wish I could talk to you. I support UGA solely because of you. I also don't ever talk smack to great Y fans. I, like you, hope we all do well.

I, uh, am happy that Utah has done good things. I bet against them quite a few times in fact. Who knows what is gonna go down my friend. I am happy that Utah has a small chance of going to the Rose Bowl. Your UGA Dawgs could get in the playoff. I'm cheering for your Dawgs man!

All the best!!!! M.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 19, 2018 9:42 a.m.

Mike:
    Thanks buddy. It's been a rough season with the books my friend but it's been an exciting one otherwise. Thanks for your support of UGA, we need all the help we can get against the tide.

QDiesel:
    "They really should of won that Washington State game and I hope they get Washington State again in the title game."

I think Utah beats Wazzu but it will be tough. That team is on fire lately, they sneeze and score 55. If Utah can grind the game down, it's their's but U can't get into a shootout with them and that's the hard part. If U force 3 and outs and control the clock Wazzu is done. Also, don't sleep on the Y...U might not be motivated but they are. It's the reason GT scares me with UGA this week. Good luck in the CCG.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 19, 2018 6:09 a.m.

It was a cold day in Boulder but the Utah win kept us warm. Then it was a long night watching Oregon try to lose a game that should have been an easy win. Some credit to ASU, but Oregon did some very silly things in the second half. Still, they won and now Utah is the PAC-12 South Champions. It feels good and is several years overdue!

To the negative-nellies commenting here... enjoy your pit of hate because it will not change the facts.

I like Utah;s chances of winning the conference! Go Utes!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:17 p.m.

Ute buster - Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:56 a.m.
    Not a big deal winning a division full of sub par teams.

-----

1984 WAC was full of sub par teams.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    Nov. 18, 2018 7:23 p.m.

I should say many Cougar and Aggie posts don't help either.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    Nov. 18, 2018 7:20 p.m.

I have been trying my best to not be negative towards the Utes - but some of your posts are making it really hard on me. BYU may not be the best, but foul, negative comments (rubbing our face in it) causes feeling of retaliation. I won't do it, but it is tempting. Congratulations on the PAC-12 South title. Now, go get'em Utes!

• rslutefan Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 18, 2018 7:20 p.m.

I would prefer it if Whitt sat Shelley and Shyne for the final game against BYU. It certainly means something to the rivalry but the reality is outside of that it has no meaning. I would hate to see us lose our next starting QB or RB after Huntley and Moss went down for the season in a game that has no importance other than locally. We need those 2 in the PAC12 championship game way more than we need to beat BYU - we have plenty of years to keep doing that.

(Perhaps we need to sit a couple of key defenders as well so we don't get any more ridiculous targeting calls like the one on Chase Hansen.) I would rather have as completely healthy team as possible going into the conference title game and subsequent bowl game than a victory over BYU. While it would certainly suck to listen to a bunch of bull about how they are better than Utah and all the whining about the PAC12, it would be preferable to losing a key player to injury.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 6:42 p.m.

“the best they will do is a consolation game in Pasadena, California”

vermont:

Hahaha! That’s a NY6 ‘consolation’, Grandaddy Of Them All game to you. Your coogs will never play for the right to be invited to one. Losing to a Utah team that has, or will, is about as close as BYU-P will ever get.

• 96 U Flower Mound, TX
    Nov. 18, 2018 6:33 p.m.

Vegas says Utes by 2 touchdowns, and Boise by a field goal over USU. Real money will be lost if they are wrong, your predictions? Not so much.

• byu_realistic Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 5:19 p.m.

"Honest question's for Cougar fans who still champion Independence, do you guys still feel that was the right move?? Wouldn't you like to find yourselves in Utah St. situation?? If you were being recruited by Utah St and BYU, which would you choose?? Not trolling, just wondering if watching other schools have success and passing you by have changed your mind's on how you see the future of BYU football"

I personally feel that BYU knee-jerked in leaving the MWC and should never have done it. Playing teams with a rich football tradition around the country and winning a few of them on the road (i.e, @ Nebraska, @ Wisconsin, @ Michigan State) has been a nice perk even though we seem to have caught them on down years; but, to be honest, I miss MWC conference basketball tournaments at the Thomas and Mack. I miss playing for conference championships and felt we shouldn't have burned the bridge with the MWC.

BYU's biggest obstacle for recruiting P5 quality football athletes is the GPA required to get in coupled with the honor code. We're losing the recruiting war and I honestly don't know if firing Tom Holmoe for a better A.D. is the answer.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 4:36 p.m.

Mixed Nutz:

The AP poll has nothing on the CFP poll. I’d recommend staying humble about the Aggies. My guess is, you’ll disappear off these boards, or change your moniker if Utah State is exposed as a team that’s just a product of a REALLY weak schedule. Aggies lose their starting QB and RB, they’d likely never recover.

Stop acting like Utah State has been there done that, as far as this year is concerned. Most years, they barely make a bowl, let alone win it. They’ve won TWO bowl games in the last 21 seasons. And are 63-65 in the last 10 seasons, not including ‘18. Pretty bad actually. Again, I’m happy for the Aggies, but I’d settle down a bit, and see how they do. I’m also guessing you’ll lose some coaches to better gigs by seasons end, then go back to your usual 6-7, 3-9, 4-8, with an occasional 7-6 type seasons.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 18, 2018 3:35 p.m.

@london_josh

"Then it's the education or the perception of the education received, that's really heavy on BYU's side."

Uh, pump the brakes there, Josh. Utah St. isn't on academic probation from the AAUP. The quality of education - and the perception of that quality - at BYU-P are not as good as you think they are because of that.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 18, 2018 3:32 p.m.

@nutz

"I guess the voters were impressed enough with the Aggies season as they are still ranked higher than the team from slc in both the AP and Coaches Polls. That has to sting."

No, not really. Utah is ranked higher in the only poll that matters - the CFP.

• 8 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 3:30 p.m.

@ Kim

Don’t be too hard on the Aggies (3-8) from Las Cruses.

The Aggies from Logan feasted on them as well. The 3-8 Aggies have to play Liberty twice this season just to fill out their schedule. Independence has been tough on them too. The Aggies from Logan could of played the Aggies from Las Cruses twice but they played Tennessee Tech (1-9) instead.

The Aggies from Logan have played the bottom 3 teams in the MWC West division and the 4 bottom teams in the MWC Mountain division.

After this weekend, I believe the only team the Aggies from Logan have faced with a winning record will be Michigan State and Boise State. I think Hawaii plays 13 games so they might end up 7-6 or 7-6...

As manny have pointed out, bu every metric the Aggies from Logan have played the softest schedule in the Country. I can’t argue with that at all.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Nov. 18, 2018 2:58 p.m.

Honest answer:

I considered going to USU, it's a fine school, and the football team has had some great games.

You can look at a single year or a long term history, which unless you go back to leather helmets favors byu heavily.

TV viewing goes to byu again.

Bowl games - byu could do just as well if they had the same season.

Aggies had a great year, but I'm not sure that they've passed byu by, this is either temporary or trajectory, it's a bit early to make your statement.

Also your question is flawed, byu fans like byu because they are byu fans - right?

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 2:29 p.m.

robin,

• QDiesel SLC, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 1:31 p.m.

The Utes had a incredible season. It's nice to see them finally get over the hump and appear in the Pac 12 title game. They had a tough Pac 12 schedule this year with easier teams like Oregon State and Cal not on their schedule this year. 5 Pac 12 games on the road is tough. They really should of won that Washington State game and I hope they get Washington State again in the title game.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 1:26 p.m.

@ blue mule,
    Thank you for the congratulatory post on the Utes winning their first Pac12 division title.

I would like to offer my congratulations to your favorite team on beating a Bottom 10 team to become bowl eligible. 👋

• zgomer Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 11:07 a.m.

Utah will lose to BYU, then to Oregon who I don't like anyway, go Clemson!

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:56 a.m.

Not a big deal winning a division full of sub par teams. The south is the worst of any p5. Enjoy your 5 minutes of fame. Everyone has one sometime. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in awhile.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:54 a.m.

What an exciting time for collegiate football in the state of Utah!!

-Weber St. back to back conference champions, headed to the playoffs

-Utah St. phenomenal season ranked nationally as well as in the CFP. Very close to being undefeated. Playing for division/conference championship

-Utah hanging tough all season with a difficult schedule. Ranked nationally as well as in the CFP also. Lost starting QB and RB, and STILL won the division. Playing for conference championship, and a trip to the Rose Bowl

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:40 a.m.

@sports nutz

"I am an Aggie fan. Go Aggies!"

In that case, nothing says "sneaking in the back door" like beating a terrible team because your opponent's toe was out of bounds. Congrats on your dominating victory over CSU - I'm sure the poll voters were impressed!

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:40 a.m.

@Wallbanger
    "As far as Utah winning the South, I know it’s not a 1984 tough schedule"

Definitely... Utah actually played teams that are still ranked. Unlike BYU whose win over #3 Pittsburgh week 1 looked great until that Pitt team went 3-7-1. And their bowl game was against a 6-5 Michigan. If there were a playoff committee then they'd be ranked like UCF today.

• 8 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:39 a.m.

Congratulations to the University of Utah Utes. This isn’t the first time you have had the best record in the Pac-12 South. This time an outright championship!

What a great team effort with the key injuries and all. 9 conference games... 5 on the road... no extra bye week because the Beavers weren’t on your schedule... playing the 4 best teams from the North... you had the hardest road to get there.

Hold this next team to less than 25 yards rushing and get it over with early. I would like to see Utah keep them out of the end zone too.

Go Utes!

• byu_realistic Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:32 a.m.

Great win Utah!!!

I'd like to think that most BYU fans are appreciative of your accomplishment this year. I was pulling for U. Great job in winning the South and congrats to the Aggies who pulled off a great win yesterday. Good luck to them next week in Boise.

BYU should give you a decent game next Saturday because the game is in Rice Eccles. If it were in Provo, we would get routed knowing BYU's motivation to play well in Provo. (But, I digress.)

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:21 a.m.

Many thanks to the classy BYU fans who offered their congratulations!

I would also like to thank the Oregon Ducks for beating ASU. We really owe you one. We promise not to pull anymore Britain Covey Fake Punt Returns.

I hope to see you all here for the Championship Game at Levi's Stadium.

• Buda1984 Roanoke, TX
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:13 a.m.

It’s time to consider resting the key Utah players next week and let BYU feel good about a competitive 2 touchdown loss to Ute’s 3rd string players. We need to be healthy going into the PAC12 Championship. Unfortunately, the BYU game means nothing at this point.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:11 a.m.

No national attention for this one. Utes can beat BYU and win PAC12 Championship Game and the best they will do is a consolation game in Pasadena, California. No chance for CFP.

• drvinneyboombahtz Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:09 a.m.

Explore686:

I don’t understand how Oregon beating ASU settles who the best team from Utah is......

Congrats Utes

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 18, 2018 10:02 a.m.

@ Cougsndawgs,

Thanks for the wonderful post my friend! As we both know, talk is cheap. I feel grateful that Utah is playing some decent ball and we have a chance to do better, maybe play in the Rose Bowl? I always cheer for UGA now because of you. Stuff happens in this world, as we both know. Ya win some, lose some......but maintaining a humble spirit is key. All the best to you sir, as always! M.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:53 a.m.

Oregon scores 28 points, easily, in the first half, and then only a field goal in the second. ASU goes for the tie on a 2 point conversion, but... receiver OOB. Oregon needs to run down some clock. First down, and then... interception?!? ASU seems destined to win, and is moving the ball. Oregon calls a timeout to give the replay booth a chance to review the last "catch", and it works! Overturned. Long gain eliminated. Then ASU fumbled. No replay. Ducks win. Whew!!

Thought that game would never end!

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:38 a.m.

Congrats, I guess. They've had much better teams that haven't performed but this year the South was terrible. As for the best team, for the first time ever, Utah State is clearly the best team in Utah.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:35 a.m.

Well, this is great! I think my beloved Utes are a very good team of men. They mean biz, serious folks indeed and playing in the PAC CG is an honor.

Goooooo Utes!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:34 a.m.

TR:
    "Some serious sour grapes flowing from provo in this thread."

From all of two BYU fans making negative comments? I'd hardly call that "flowing"...more like a drip.

Seriously proud of the Utes for winning the South. All ribbing and banter aside, this is one Cougar fan who recognizes how hard it is to win a division in the P5. I give Utah a lot of credit for being resilient after the QB1 and RB1 went down. Other than ASU when he was thrown into the fire, Shelley has looked really good. Congrats Utes!

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:32 a.m.

Also, for all of you who are taking this trash talk seriously, you really need to lighten up or find another outlet. It's just football! Nothing more and nothing less. I cheer for Utah State and enjoy the fact that I can talk trash with people who feel their team is better for whatever reason. If everyone had the same opinion, there would be no fun in that. Cheer, boo and root for whomever you want AND talk trash! Go Aggies, best team in the State!

Aggies>slcteam

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:21 a.m.

It's a little surprising to see such open derision from BYU fans.

It will help the Utes maintain focus on this week's game.

Thanks, Coug fans!

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:17 a.m.

I’be always rooted for Utes and Cougars, except when they play each other, but my disdain for fans grows each time I read one of these threads. Utah fans can’t post without mentioning “the team down south,” amd BYU fans can’t just congratulate the Utes. Shame on all of you.

I predict a Utah will win on the 30th and then the bowl game, and will be favorites to repeat in the south next year. Taylor is hitting his stride as an OC and they have a ton of talent returning next year.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:15 a.m.

“As far as Utah winning the South, I know it’s not a 1984 tough schedule, but Utah can’t control that.“

*FYI—Sagarin ranks our SOS @ #17 nationally.....And FWIW, UCLA’s @ #1.

Go Utes!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:11 a.m.

“Nothing like sneaking in the back door. Go Cougars....”

When we have a superior conference record to all other South rivals, it’s inherently impossible to “back door” into a Division Championship.....Duh.

No, “sneaking in the back door” is what usu did en route to Ws over FBS bottom-feeders Wyo/CSU, two games they were palpably fortunate to win after getting dominated/outplayed statistically.

8-3 against #17 SOS trumps 10-1 [BARELY] against #125 SOS all day, everyday.....Reference CFP ranking/Sagarin ratings as evidence.

Go Broncos!

Go Utes!

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:09 a.m.

For those of you that are behind, just raise your hands? The Go Cougars is for Washington State! I am an Aggie fan. Go Aggies!

• NeilT Harrisville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:03 a.m.

explore 686 You are talking about Weber State. Right

• CDM1525 West Point, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 8:42 a.m.

byu fan always commenting on their articles that they are relevant because U Fans make comments on their articles. Look who’s relevant now.

• CyCarloUte slc, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 8:23 a.m.

Blue mule: You really should consider being a Ute Fan. You would be much happier.

• CO Ute Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 18, 2018 8:14 a.m.

Hey SportzNutz - stay classy!

For the record, there was no back door. Utes win the South without any tiebreakers needed. Winner of ASU / UA finishes a full game behind, the loses is two games behind.

• IAMUTAH Fruita, CO
    Nov. 18, 2018 8:02 a.m.

Sports Nutz - Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:23 a.m.
    Nothing like sneaking in the back door. Go Cougars...

Obviously too much jealousy, or too much blue kool-aid watching your team destroy a 3-8 football team at home. Nice. I expect the kittens to put up a fight, as they always do, but if the Utes show up and play like they did the last 2 weeks, with their back up QB and back up running back, the outcome will...well, let's just say you'll need more of that blue kool-aid.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 8:01 a.m.

Why does every article seem to feel the need to qualify the Utah divisional championship? It was very unlikely that ASU was going to win both road games to end the season. They still have one left to play on the road.

Utah clinched a week before the PAC 12 season is over. And a week before the north division is decided. Why not mention that?

Utah had the toughest PAC 12 schedule this season. Why not mention that?

Utah has won the PAC12 south. It's over. Utah is the south champ. and technically they have shared the south champ title in the past, in 2015. And they have been in the hunt for the south title, at the end of the season, in most seasons since joining the PAC12. Why not mention that?

Wonder why none of those things are mentioned? Instead it's Utah is the only team in the south to not...... and they wouldn't have this yr. either, if it weren't for.......

Sorry Utah actually won the south title. And don't even know who they are playing yet in the CCG. Sorry they are nationally ranked in every poll. Sorry they had the hardest PAC 12 schedule and according to Sagarins, a top 20 hardest schedule in the nation.

And did it w/out QB1 or RB1.

• Valyrian Steel Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 7:57 a.m.

Congrats, Utah! It’s a great day to be a Ute with a NY6 bowl within reach!

As for all of the Utah haters. Your vitriol and jealousy reminds me of a quote former British Prime Minister Theresa May said, “if I were to go outside right now and walk across the Thames river, my critics would say it’s only because I couldn’t swim.”

Well today, not even naysayers can take away Utah’s accomplishment.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 7:18 a.m.

blues clues:

“Wow congrats, Utah, on winning the only P5 division with a losing record. What a special season.”

Wow congrats, Byu, on winning a game against a team (Arizona) in the “only P5 division with a losing record”. Or your cougs wouldn’t be bowl eligible...again.

As far as Utah winning the South, I know it’s not a 1984 tough schedule, but Utah can’t control that. They won when they needed to. Get ready for loss number 8 coug fans! And thank you in advance for the scrimmage to prepare for the PAC 12 Championship game. I’m pulling for you guys to win the independence conference next year.

• Jeremy234 SLC, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 7:18 a.m.

Bluesmule: The Big 10 West has a losing record...

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 18, 2018 7:03 a.m.

@sports nutz

"Nothing like sneaking in the back door. Go Cougars...."

Haha...awesome post! It takes a lot of guts for a BYU-P to post smack this morning, so I tip my hat to you for that.

• MoonlightGR Herriman, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 6:55 a.m.

Nothing like sneaking in the back door. Go Cougars....

How about this: we beat the team that beat the team that beat us. Feel better?

• Dawginblue Bellingham, WA
    Nov. 18, 2018 6:36 a.m.

Congrats Utes! Long time coming. Good luck in the pac12 championship game.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 18, 2018 6:28 a.m.

@Sports Nutz - Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:23 a.m.
    Nothing like sneaking in the back door. Go Cougars....

------

Didn't the Cougars try to "back door" into the WAC and left you hanging when the WAC imploded?

Now that is some "sneaky" stuff!!!

• Jello is Good ,
    Nov. 18, 2018 5:05 a.m.

Honestly from a Utah perspective, who cares about the best team in Utah or bringing up BYU like some have done. Great season. You have accomplished much and overcome much. You have reached what should be your first goal each year. You are PAC South champs and now have a chance to avenge one of your 3 losses and fight for a chance for the Rose Bowl. Talk about that. There will be plenty of time this week to talk about that rivalry game, but today celebrate. Nobody can take that from you.

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    Nov. 18, 2018 3:36 a.m.

Mule and Nutz...
    Posting anything on this board other than congratulations is wrong. Coming from a “program” on steady decline and closing out a 6-6 season and qualifying for a “toilet bowl” with 4 of the wins coming from McNeese, Hawaii, UMass, NMState allows your comments to ring hollow.

PAC 12 Championship game is something you will never sniff and I am believe we may just win that game and also win a January 1st bowl (or better). Your team will be 2 to 3 weeks away from your December 15th toilet bowl.

Maybe you can create your own bowl? The BYU Bowl. It can always be the first bowl of the year.

In closing, let me just say, your team is really sad to watch. They are not good.

• Tomahawk Red Miami Beach, FL
    Nov. 18, 2018 3:07 a.m.

Some serious sour grapes flowing from provo in this thread.

LOL!

• Tomahawk Red Miami Beach, FL
    Nov. 18, 2018 3:06 a.m.

Sports Nutz - Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:23 a.m.
    Nothing like sneaking in the back door. Go Cougars....

—------------------

Even that door is completely locked to your team.

LULZ!

• Utes44 Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 2:15 a.m.

@bluesmule hahahahaha.... Jealously is rough isn't it. Winning the south with a top 20 SOS. After Saturday you'll be 1-3 vs the PAC12. Good thing you played 3 HS teams to become bowl eligible. GO UTES!

• Elmer Fudd Centerville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 1:25 a.m.

@ Sports Nutz

“Nothing like sneaking in the back door. Go Cougars....”

Just like BYU in 1984. They needed a few teams ranked in front of them to lose to win their national championship. So the Cougs know all about using the back door.

• What Ever Salt Lake City,, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 1:10 a.m.

@bluesmule: posting negative bitter sounding comments on a Utah article at 12:32 AM...just admit it. You’re too excited for us and you can’t sleep!! 🎉

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:42 a.m.

Utah is one win away from the Rose Bowl. Unfortunately that win cannot come from next Saturday's game. Win or lose that game and it will have no effect on our post season destination. (But we've known that for the eight years we've been in the PAC-12.) No, that win must be in the PAC-12 Championship. Most likely the winner of the Apple Cup game. Washing and Washington are both nationally ranked but so is Utah. Just do it, Utah.

• eleetham Sacramento, CA
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:33 a.m.

Waited for a long time for Utah to win the Pac 12 South. Now Utah needs to win the Pac 12 Championship

• bluesmule Sandy, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:32 a.m.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:30 a.m.

Excellent!! I have been saying all along that hardware is what matters, even if it's a division title. Utah had a very difficult schedule to achieve it and lost 2 key players along the way and they still won it.

Amazing! Way to go!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:29 a.m.

Good job Utes!

Now all of our focus has to be on the scrimmage game (aka trap game) at RES next week.

Utah 48
    BYU 17

Go UTES!

• GoRed Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:30 a.m.

We did it! Thank you, Oregon.

Let’s go on to the PAC 12 championship game, win it, and go to the Rose Bowl. It’s a great day to be a Ute!!

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:28 a.m.

Congrats Utah!

Pac 12 South Champs!

Go Utes!

Excessive caps notwithstanding.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:23 a.m.

Nothing like sneaking in the back door. Go Cougars....

• CO to AZ Ute Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:20 a.m.

Congrats to the Ute coaches, players, and fans,

• brian of ohio Kent, OH
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:22 a.m.

Congrats to Utah for an awesome season and for a gutsy last 2 wins to end the season to get the south championship. Who saw that after losing Huntley and Moss. Now the icing on the cake is to beat a team down south. Either way, a chance to play in an awesome bowl.

Also, dear Oregon,

Thank you for pulling out the win despite all your efforts to lose the game vs ASU!

• PacUtes Orange County, CA
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:20 a.m.

Oh, mama...
    The Utes did it!
    The Utes won the South!
    Congratulations to coach Whit and the Utes!

Go Utes!
    11/30 game is on!

• explorer686 davis, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:17 a.m.

Yes. Now there is no doubt who the best school is in Utah .