Rep. Mia Love takes narrow lead in 4th District on same day judge dismisses her lawsuit over ballot verifications

Judge dismisses GOP incumbent's lawsuit against S.L. County clerk

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    Nov. 19, 2018 11:10 p.m.

Good. The last thing we need is candidates filing lawsuits to bog down the election process.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 9:00 p.m.

If Love violated the campaign finance laws why did the Federal Elections Commission not pursue the alleged violations. It sounds like if you tell a lie often enough a lot of Utahans will believe it.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 8:56 a.m.

Politics should leave a bad taste in people's mouths, not elections and vote-counting.

• SusanScrubOak Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2018 12:29 a.m.

Either way, more war.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Nov. 17, 2018 8:35 p.m.

I have to agree with No Names Accepted. This election has been a disaster.

I support Mia Love's basic views. I think she took on a big job when she went from a modest town mayor to a national office, and I doubt if her background was adequate. However, she was willing to serve, and hopefully she is still learning.

I wish DN had a more up to date report on the count.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 5:56 p.m.

@Y Ask Y: "Who is managing the election process? What is their party affiliation? ... Something stinks."

In SLCo, it is the Democrat County Clerk.

In UtCo, it is the GOP County Clerk.

Are we going to blame both counties, both parties? Or will someone try to blame only the other guy?

Fact is, mail in voting is ripe for fraud. It is much easier to sell votes when the buyer can confirm how the voter cast his ballot.

Overbearing spouses, parents, bosses, union leaders, or even religious figures can much more easily apply pressure when they can see how someone voted than if that someone enjoys the privacy of the election booth.

A few folks who are actually out of the area on election day ought to vote early, in person. Everyone else ought to vote in person, on election day, on paper ballots that are easily counted in each precinct with numbers reported via very public means.

Mail in ballots too easily facilitate fraud with ballot boxes appearing well after the election date. Online voting is even more problematic and difficult to secure.

Paper ballots, in person, with positive ID, having registered well in advance.

• The Great Helmsman Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 5:35 p.m.

This is not the outcome I wanted. But votes are votes and I respect the results. It says a great deal about Mia’s tenure that she, apparently, won by such a slim margin in such a GOP state.

The razor thin win should make her reflect on how she can better represent her constituents.

I still hold out hope Ben can pull this off. The One-Party state is unhealthy and must end.

• BenAround Cowlitz, WA
    Nov. 17, 2018 3:47 p.m.

Hope she wins. Maybe Trump will embrace HER then! #FeelTheEmbrace

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 11:25 a.m.

With Ben McAdams already back in Washington DC, this might be the most hilarious development in the history of Utah politics.

GO Mia!

• DudeDude Chicago, IL
    Nov. 17, 2018 10:50 a.m.

So it has been 11 days since the election, when will the votes finally be counted? What is the hold up?

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 10:38 a.m.

Just the fact that McAdams campaigned for the Clintons is reason enough to NEVER get my vote. He would not be able to represent me.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 10:13 a.m.

@new to Utah

I live in the fourth district and I received more anti mcadams mailers than anti love.

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 10:00 a.m.

I voted for her, mainly because McAdams won't vote the way I want him to vote. She may win this time, but I think this may be her last time even past the primary.

• Jer-Bear Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 9:44 a.m.

Go Mia !!!

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 8:56 a.m.

The fact that this race will not be fully counted until nearly two weeks after the election, when ever the bumbling incompetents in Broward and West Palm Beach have finished up their work proves that Utah;s election process is horribly broken.

Congratulations to our congressperson-still to be-elected, whomever it might be. The delay is not their fault.

• Yuge Opportunity Here Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 8:33 a.m.

This is more entertaining than a Jazz game...and DEFINITELY more entertaining than watching Real SL.

When do we go into sudden death? That would be cool. The next vote counted determines the winner.

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 8:11 a.m.

If she does win, I hope next time she will try harder to win. Remember for all of you who voted for McAdam's, you also voted for Nancy Poloise and Maxine Waters.

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 7:04 a.m.

The resilience of Mia Love no matter what the final outcome is truly inspirational. Democrat leaning Salt Lake county and the resistance to Trump and money flowing from Democratic donors, to even still be in this race is quite extraordinary.

• Flyboy1 South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 6:59 a.m.

She has been beholden to outside powers her entire term. Please don't do this to us again. This district has no representation if she wins.

• Kay Hunt Celebration, FL
    Nov. 17, 2018 6:37 a.m.

So let me ask this. Why if Itah is having a hard time figuring out the vote, why is it only Florida that is on the national news. I thought McAdams had won until I read this mornings paper. I’m not a Mia Love fan but really if she wins. She should send a tweet to Trump with “I’m baack, and thanks but no thank I don’t need you”. If she had any respect for the rule of law she would vote her Conscience and leave the GOP and the Dems. Become a statesman.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Nov. 17, 2018 5:01 a.m.

My question is, if Mia is declared the winner, how much "love" will she show Trump?

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Nov. 17, 2018 4:29 a.m.

Who is managing the election process? What is their party affiliation?

Something stinks.

• cavetrollhead West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 11:52 p.m.

It is interesting how so many mocked the republicans for their voter fraud conspiracy theories.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot so many democrats are crying voter fraud against the McAdams team.

The referee is always great when he calls it in favor of your team and always a _shill_ when he calls it in favor of the other team

• Cougarbib2 Moorpark, CA
    Nov. 16, 2018 11:10 p.m.

Amazes me that voting forms are sent to registered voters with clear instructions and deadlines and then the counting starts and everyone gets to argue about how to count the votes of the people who did not follow instructions. This should not be happening. One poster on here literally asked, "if my wife or others give me their ballot to fill out and sign for them, why does it matter?"

It does matter. And what if you just intercept the ballot for your wife and kids, fill it out, and sign it without even telling them? Does that matter? Or what if you grab your neighbors ballot out of their mailbox in a group of mailboxes on a country road like where I live? Fill those out and sign them. Does that matter? Or, if your kid is on a mission or away at school and you just fill that out for him and sign it, does that matter?

My son and his wife lived with me, moved out of state but didn't register in the new state. If I just filled those out and signed them, would that have matterred? I could have, but did not. I didn't even forward them to the kids, because they are no longer residents - just reminded them to register and vote in their new address. Not everyone follows rules.

• MRM Layton, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 10:26 p.m.

The Educator

Sounds like someone needs a little education themselves; why should Mia give up when she’s currently leading?

• rickski13 salt lake city, utah
    Nov. 16, 2018 8:45 p.m.

does any one thing that the republican Mia is not going to win in Utah after the state is still counting after 11 days after the election?

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 8:17 p.m.

If Mia goes on to win I agree, the President will not apologize. I do think however if she does win seh just ought to tweet out to the "I'm ba-aaack"

• Boberino Farmington, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 7:55 p.m.

I don’t understand contacting voters to resolve irregularities. If the ballot is not properly filled out or not signed correctly, it should not count. The process should be transparent and objective. I don’t think the signature issue is so much how you sign your name but if what you sign matches what name you registered to vote under. Signatures not matching could nullify a lot of votes.

• one old man MSC, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 6:28 p.m.

D'ya think trump might apologize for the nasty things he said about her?

Nah.

trump is always right.

But now he owes her for helping him undermine confidence in our election system.

Where did I put those anti-nausea pills ?

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 6:27 p.m.

The whole signature thing doesn't really make sense to me. Are these people trained to determine whether a signature is the same or not? I sign my name a 100 times and it comes out a 100 different ways. Does it even matter if the signatures are not the same? As long as the same registered voter is not voting twice, shouldn't all votes be counted regardless of signature? What if I give my ballot to my wife or friend or anybody and let them sign on my behalf? It seems that shouldn't be against the rules. The important thing is each valid voter only votes once, and you don't need a signature to figure that out.

• John Brown 1000 Laketown, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 6:11 p.m.

Go, Love! Go!

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 5:58 p.m.

Most likely Love will win narrowly since Utah County's been the slower one to count votes so far (even accounting for there being much more of the district in SL County which McAdams leads by narrower percentage gaps).

• MFlynn Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 5:06 p.m.

For the first time, I did not vote straight Republican- I disagreed with the way Love handled her campaign finances. And reading about her lawsuit against the county only reinforced my decision.

BUT carefully engineered borders through Gerrymandering might work out exactly as designed.

• 1Observer Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 4:58 p.m.

I don’t think the lawsuit was about stopping the count as much as it was to stall it while her campaign verified the protocols for allowing questionable or provisional ballots to be counted were fair and adequate. Mia needs all the votes she can get. Stopping counting votes when you’re behind would make no sense. To her credit, SL County Clerk Sherri Swenson has welcomed observers and has aimed for transparency. Let the count continue.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 4:30 p.m.

I am not a fan of the "lawfare" approach to counting votes, but given the number of times where Democrats have been declared winners after questionable legal challenges, it is certainly not inappropriate for Mia Love to take precautions to keep the counting in a heavily Democrat majority county with a Democrat supervisor of elections and Democrat District Attorney under close scrutiny.

Let's wait and see who is the winner when all the legal votes cast on time are counted.

But, the very next step should be to end this cumbersome and fraud-friendly "vote by mail" nonsense which cannot give us accurate results a week and a half after the election. Get back to in person voting at local poling places on election day with the only exceptions being for traditional absentee ballots for a valid reason.

• Laurels Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 4:23 p.m.

I just checked the current election results on Utah's Lieutenant Governor's office and Mia Love is ahead by 419 votes. Utah County evidently just did their update whereas Salt Lake County updated before 3:00 p.m. today.

• Slcut Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 4:09 p.m.

I question her moral turpitude. Does she think she is above law because she is a elected official?

• trollover Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 2:47 p.m.

Finally a person who can make sense. Why halt the vote counting when they are way behind anyway. They had no exact ideas of abuses and were grasping at straws. If she wins any way, she will look stupid. If she still loses, she will not look like a poor loser.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 2:29 p.m.

Look like Mia will be revisiting her old talking points; "Please fasten your seat belts and return your tray tables to their full upright and locked positions."

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 1:59 p.m.

The 2018 midterm election has been heralded as as the year of the woman...except by the democrats in Utah.

ID politics has been turned on its head.

And Jason may very well get his wife back.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 1:39 p.m.

looks like the voters have dismissed Mia

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 1:31 p.m.

Mia Love needs better advisors. Neither they nor she appear to be familiar with either campaign financing laws or--as this lawsuit demonstrates--with basic litigation norms. Smart lawyers don't ask a court for relief that isn't practical, isn't fair to both parties, and isn't supported by any statutes or cases.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 1:12 p.m.

Good. Now make her pay for the wasted court time. She has tens of thousands of illegal campaign funds- use that to reimburse taxpayers.

• itswhatithink West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 12:51 p.m.

I fully admit I am not in the camp on either candidate

But I am tired of filing a lawsuit for thugs like this. Her attorney should have been smart enough to tell her he/she wasting money to file.

Most cotes cast were (1) against democrats, or (2) against McAdams

Doubt more than 10 were actually for this individual who still hasn’t accomplished anything since her election way too many years ago

There has to be another republican who can run her out of office

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 12:52 p.m.

"Harrington said the Love campaign "will continue to closely observe the integrity of this election process.”

Love brought no integrity to this campaign, none at all.

"The judge also said the actions sought by Love raised "signficant" constitutional concerns because the lawsuit sought to change the procedure for challenging ballots only in Salt Lake County and only to ballots not yet counted."

This is sort of like ballot gerrymandering. No cause for concern in Republican areas, but not she wants to control what goes on in areas Love doesn't control.

I hope McAdams beats this do nothing, self serving Republican.

• The Educator South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 12:45 p.m.

Time for Mia to call it quits. She lost, get over it. Time for Mia and the repubs to #moveon. Stop being poor sports.

Go Ben McAdams! Finally we got some representation! Yes!

Get Educated

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 12:30 p.m.

Mia may end up winning but her constituents will remember how she played the game. Tough times don’t make character, they reveal it.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2018 11:55 a.m.

Good!
    All this does is further underline how little she does, and how poorly she does it.

• bemorefair MH, 00
    Nov. 16, 2018 11:55 a.m.

Was the point of this lawsuit to say to SL County, "We're watching you?"

Not really sure as it seems pointless.

Either way, looks like Love may well end up being declared the winner.

• cheeseinzion Sandy, UT