Foul-plagued BYU falls at No. 7 Nevada 86-70

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 8, 2018 11:43 a.m.

I love this BYU team led by TJ Haws. They really are the gift that keeps on giving. I wish TJ Haws would play for BYU for forever, along with Nick Emery. Don't mind Yoeli Childs getting in foul trouble. He cannot play D against anyone of equal or slightly greater size. Look at his box scores through the years. Keep up the great work Y basketball.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 8, 2018 8:53 a.m.

Down under - Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 6:16 p.m.

Spokane,
    Yes, I support BYU and WSU Pullman.
    It is tough to watch them play basketball so I have to be honest and critical when warranted. Anytime a player picks up 2 fouls in less than a minute, that is plain stupid.
    I would ask you the same question about the utes when they play poorly.
    You have some doozies on the ute posts.
    ---------
    The way you continue to blast BYU and Utah you could have fooled me. Although I get down on my Utes I try to remain positive for the most part. Oh well, Haters gonna Hate!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2018 10:18 p.m.

Down under - Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 6:24 p.m.
    Utelogy,
    #3 Gonzaga and St. Mary's are not Maine, not even close. This is the same St. Mary's that took u to the wood shed a few years ago.

Your short term memory must be wonderful. I would live to see the utes have the courage to play Gonzaga.

-----

I said 16 not 18 games, take your time.

Courage to play Gonzaga? We play at Kentucky!

According to my short term memory, Utah won at St Marys 8 months ago without our starting center.

While BYU was one-and-done vs a #9 PAC-12 team.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 6:56 p.m.

It's hilarious to see down under chiding someone for a lack of short-term memory, while "forgetting" who Utah defeated, on their homecourt, a mere 8 months ago in the Ute's run to the NIT finals. 😹

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 6:24 p.m.

Utelogy,

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 6:16 p.m.

Spokane,
    Yes, I support BYU and WSU Pullman.
    I would ask you the same question about the utes when they play poorly.
    You have some doozies on the ute posts.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 5:49 p.m.

This is great. First game of the season and the blue faithful are celebrating the margin of defeat in a 16 point loss. At this rate byu fans will get their long awaited "undefeated" season. 👍

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 7, 2018 4:35 p.m.

Really no shame in losing to a very good Nevada team.

Down Under

Do you actually support any team/program?

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 4:27 p.m.

Haws did hit a beautiful three, but the next thing you know he is launching from 25 feet and missing.

The bright spot was Hardnett driving the lane, but it would be nice to have someone consistently hit the three-pointers.

Nevada had some great players, and they were hampered by foul trouble too, but I was surprised BYU was able to stay with them until down the stretch.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2018 3:50 p.m.

Down under - Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 1:04 p.m.
    So BYU plays the #7 team to open the season and the Utes play Maine.

Wow. They must be a powerhouse.

-------

Why are mocking Maine? You play "Maine" 16 times in conference play.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 3:03 p.m.

Hey Jello, hope for the best son. You are my hero man.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 1:56 p.m.

Referees always try to make BYU lose. It is religious bigotry and hatred only. I'd like to see BYU treated fairly just one time. They are so talented and should have beaten Nevada by 37 points easily.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 1:28 p.m.

The Lone Peak Three will go to the Final Four this year. They are all NBA 1st round draftees. Eric Mika is looking really good. We get Nick Emery back soon, then TJ Haws will get so hot shooting the 3-ball. Yoeli Childs will be a huge factor too! Don't bet against BYU winning the NCAA title this season. They have all the ingredients for a championship folks!

• Jello is Good ,
    Nov. 7, 2018 1:16 p.m.

@at long last. . . - Kirksville , MO
    Nov. 7, 2018 11:59 a.m.

"Well, I see the apologists are out again in force. Those bad referees calling only byu for fowls(sic). How can all of you remain faithful fans when everyone in officiating is against you (except for members of the M-word church)? As the Donald would say, 'Sad'."

And I see you are here again obsessing. What a great fan of BYU sports you are.

• Jello is Good ,
    Nov. 7, 2018 1:15 p.m.

@mnsave - Rigby, ID
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:10 p.m.

"I agree Haws should be third off the bench. When Emery comes back he should be fourth until he regains his form. But,,, I still don’t think you are smarter than COLLEGE coaches."

It's a good thing there are no prerequisites to be a fan or have an opinion. How relevant that opinion is depends on how much your assessment is accurate, sometimes even more than COLLEGE coaches.

You seemed to have no problem calling out Rose for any part he may have played in dumping a bunch of stiffs. You must be smarter than COLLEGE coaches, right?

Hypocritical to say the least.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 1:15 p.m.

Child has no chance in the NBAif he continues to be stupid with his fouls. He is too slow and has too many mental lapses.
    I agree that Haws needs be be benched.
    Having said all that I liked the fight of BYU. They were clearly outmanned but kept up with the #7 team for all but the final few minutes.
    I liked Lee in the post. With some playing time he will be a beast.

I also.like how ute fans come on these posts and hammer BYU when their first game is against the powerhouse Maine.

Crisco does this every year just to get wins. His teams are not road tested.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 1:04 p.m.

Azute,
    You mean like the football game last week against asu?
    So BYU plays the #7 team to open the season and the Utes play Maine.

Wow. They must be a powerhouse.

• CougFaninTX Spring, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:51 p.m.

If Nevada really is a Top 20 team (and I think they are), I was encouraged by how well BYU played. BYU went toe to toe with them for 30+ minutes. I believe if Childs didn't get into foul trouble (poor calls or not), the game would have been a nail biter.

I'm not saying BYU will win every game, but I don't see anyone on their schedule they can't beat, with the exception of Gonzaga, which would take a miracle.

Harding and Baxter look like they have a lot of potential. I think we'll see both of them develop quickly, and their time on the floor grow as the season progresses. And Emery will be a positive addition when he returns.

But it's obvious, BYU does need a real center. Preferably someone like Davies or Mika, but I'd even take someone like Austin. Haven't seen enough of Lee to know if he can be that guy.

• CougFaninTX Spring, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:53 p.m.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:50 p.m.

Many changes will be coming for BYU-P sports. BYU's owners are cutting most luxury costs, all actually. BYU is a parochial school only. Sports cost them at BYU-Provo. Changes will be realized within a couple years.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:40 p.m.

I love BYU football and basketball. I can always depend on them.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:34 p.m.

BYU has to foul and they did. They lost the 12 point spread because they have no talent or speed. BYU hoops and football cannot and do not win big games in the 21st century.

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:24 p.m.

Nevada has a lot of talent on their team. Would be nice if we could fill our roster like that.

We hung with them for most of the game and even had a couple of small leads so it was a good effort. But when NV got hot from the 3 point line towards the end of the game that doomed us. They were hitting them and we kept throwing up bricks. We were 6 of 31 on our 3's, 19.4%. Horrible. Conner Harding was 0/4 on his 3's. I thought he was supposed to be a talented sharpshooter.

I like that we've gone back to a more up-tempo style of play. Thank goodness for Jashire Hardnett and his ability to get to the basket. Worthington is frustrating to watch, he's a foul magnet and has almost no touch around the basket. Nice flagrant 1, by the way.

• mnsave Rigby, ID
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:10 p.m.

@ Jello is Good,

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:04 p.m.

“But I'm calling it now - BYU-P will beat Utah in basketball.”

“Dude”, your prediction, NOT mine, is duly noted.

We’ll see how effective your prognostications end up being, from start-to-end of your comment.

byu did end up getting hammered in the end last night because they were an inferior opponent, period.

Go Utes!

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Nov. 7, 2018 11:59 a.m.

• EPoint Roy, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 11:55 a.m.

Everyone in posts here seem to be upset with Haws' play. Before reading all the comments I felt the same thing, that Haws play simply does not justify so much playing time. I like the new guys and would like to see more of them, they wouldn't likely be any worse. I would add the name of Seljous as one who has not played well and should sit down. Worthington's play has been too mechanical and does not show natural talent.

The players who produce in games should be playing. It's so disappointing to have Cougar coaches not playing the best players, and causes one to wonder what the agenda might be.

• Samson01 S. Jordan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 11:43 a.m.

Box Score?

• Jello is Good ,
    Nov. 7, 2018 11:11 a.m.

@mnsave - Rigby, ID
    Nov. 7, 2018 10:19 a.m.

"What is his fault is running off big men; Isaac Neilson, Eric Mika (he would have stayed under better circumstances), Dastrup, Shaw, Andrus, et al. It's a "big Man's" game.

The comment about Haws being worthless is ridiculous. Two years ago there were COLLEGE coaches who voted him 2nd team all-conference. I'm pretty sure they know talent when they see it. Haws is in a slump, but he will show that he is a valuable player."
    -----------------

Of all the big men you mention, Mika is the only one that could play. The rest of them are average to stiffs. And oh, by the way, one of the reasons Mika left was not Rose, but Haws. And yes, he is worthless. Last night, like every night for the past two plus years the offense runs better when the ball is not in his hands. What was nice to see was that on two and maybe three different times last night right after Haws did something stupid, Rose pulled him and didn't look happy. That guy has not earned a single start in his college career. If his name wasn't Haws and he hadn't graduated from LP, he would be third guy off the bench.

• cougarsrock Springville, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 10:20 a.m.

Puzzled why the Y only gave Rose a 1 year extension to his contract as awesome of a Coach that he is ....You would think Holmoe would try and tie him up for another 4 or 5 years before someone steals him out from under the Cougs as good as he is ! Probably one of my best statements ever coming from Rose ... "I wish my players would shoot in a game as well as they do in practice ..." I get where you are coming from Coach, In golf, i have often wondered why i can not hit my driver or irons out on the course as well as i can on the driving range ... Good luck with that Coach !

• mnsave Rigby, ID
    Nov. 7, 2018 10:19 a.m.

It's not Rose' fault that all of a sudden, these 4-star players can't shoot. They could 2 years ago. What is his fault is running off big men; Isaac Neilson, Eric Mika (he would have stayed under better circumstances), Dastrup, Shaw, Andrus, et al. It's a "big Man's" game.

• BYURUGGER Fulshear, TX
    Nov. 7, 2018 10:01 a.m.

BYU HAS to make free throws, and HAS to make threes. Nevada is a good team. They had more soeed and more size and BYU stayed with them for a long time. In the end Nevada made shoots, BYU rushed and missed shoots. No one was clutch. Nevada was more physical and the refs controlled the game. There was a lot of dirty play, especially the constant grabbing by Porter. I was NOT impressed by that. They called little dtudf on BYU but not the flagrant hooking and grabbing by Nevada. But, BYU still had a chance to win until the end when Nevada shot well and BYU didnt.

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 9:59 a.m.

A great effort by most of the Cougars.

I thought an upset was in the making until Nevada started to hit the 3's.

How much longer do BYU fans have to endure the LP 3...er...LP 2?

The new guys look dialed in...energy/effort ect..

More time for Cannon would be nice to see.

Go UTES!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 9:17 a.m.

How come so many fowls against us? every time we loose its lots of foul calls against us and not the other men.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 7, 2018 9:12 a.m.

@AZUTE1

"A good old fashioned whooping! Good times!

Go Utes!"

Pump the brakes, dude...Utah's season hasn't even started yet. We're going to struggle at the beginning of the year as all these new faces come together. We don't have a center, we can't rebound, and we don't have a good outside shooter.

Honestly I think both schools' fans should clam up this basketball season - we're both going to stink.

But I'm calling it now - BYU-P will beat Utah in basketball.

• chanman South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 8:58 a.m.

So far in BYU's 3 games (including exhibition), they haven't shown anything to get excited about--excessive turnovers, terrible shooting, and foul problems. There is something eerily similar between the football and basketball teams. Coaching and playing is all mediocre and very inconsistent. BYU BB will continue to lose to some of the hapless teams of the WCC like it always does. I am a big supporter of BYU sports but have almost entirely lost interest at this point.

• pacmidmajor Springville, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 8:48 a.m.

Nothing new here ...Just more of the same from a Rose coached team. Run and Gun, Poor shot selection,Ill advised shots taken,poor interior defense,poor free throw shooting,Lots of turnovers,etc...
    Totally undisciplined play. But even with that being said Folks,how bout that Terrific TJ and Wonderful Worthington ... Are they the Bomb or what ! Super excited for another 4th place finish in the WCC and a 1 game trip to the CIT !

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Nov. 7, 2018 8:47 a.m.

Would it be too much to ask to let McKay Cannon play? I mean, I know he didn't matriculate at a Utah County high school, but he couldn't do any worse than the guy playing in front of him. Who know, he might even play better.

• Jello is Good ,
    Nov. 7, 2018 8:45 a.m.

OK, I saw enough things that make me very optimistic, but I will be curious if Rose has the guts to make the right decision. A few thoughts:

Worthington is a stiff and should never see the starting lineup again. If they need to put a big in the middle it should be Lee. Otherwise play small.

A lot of talk of Childs trying to create an NBA resume by showing his range. He not only missed his 3's, they were atrocious. He belongs in the box or at the high post, but never behind the arc looking for a shot.

All three of our new guys looked good, especially Baxter. They should get increased playing time.

Hardnett really impressed me and he should be the guy running the team, but NEVER Haws.

Haws was horrible and he has been for the previous two years as well. When Emery comes back and as the young guys improve, Haws should find his spot on the bench. But will Rose make that call....

• H8Red Centerville, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 8:36 a.m.

I didn't see the game but the "19 percent (6 of 31) from 3-point territory" is something that we've seen from BYU far to often over the past several years.

Missed 3's usually turn into a lot of fast brake opportunities for the opponent. Defense and getting to the rim more, might be a good solution.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Nov. 7, 2018 8:34 a.m.

Generally agree with most of the posts re: Haws, etc.

However, Cougar fans should be concerned that Rose just signed a one year extension. The Cougars will never be taught correct principles on DEFENSE--which successful teams master.

Childs' 3rd foul--a simple "reach in" not "beating the man with your feet!" Childs' 4th foul (and at least one of Baxter's) swinging wildly at the ball vs. a jump shooter instead of simply contesting with a vertical extension.

So, much like Wilson's running on what should have been the second to last play vs. Boise State, I would lay these player errors at the feet of the relevant coaching staff.

When you play vs. superior athletes, you can only win, but ONLY if you avoid stupid and fundamental errors.

• Max-was-right Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 7:46 a.m.

ha ha u fans running to the comments. BYU played a very tough game and was very competitive against the 7th ranked team in the country at their place and u fans are bashing the Y? I think u fans are concerned about another Y beat down this year.

• BlueMoonOden Hinckley, IL
    Nov. 7, 2018 7:44 a.m.

Watched the game and was very unimpressed. It is agreed Haws looked bad and played without much enthusiasm but this is on Rose. This was a winnable game. He needs to light a fire under these guys and Haws needs to be reminded he is supposed to be a team leader.

• sunshiner st.george, ut
    Nov. 7, 2018 7:35 a.m.

Amen to what Alekhin said. Haws is erratic and hurts the team more often than he helps. Cannon should start. He calms the team down and plays fundamentally sound bball. Haws should come off the bench or be benched.

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 7, 2018 7:07 a.m.

These guys can certainly pat themselves on the back well enough following a 16 point loss. Why no mention of the opponent being good? I think that should be required soundbite #1 following any defeat by 15 or more—home or away. “We played a very good team tonight.” See? Simple as pie.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 7, 2018 6:05 a.m.

A good old fashioned whooping! Good times!

Go Utes!

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Nov. 7, 2018 5:55 a.m.

If Nevada is the seventh best team in the country they certainly didn't show it during the first half of the game, before I stopped watching and went on to less boring activity.

• Alekhin Herriman, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 1:16 a.m.

TJ Haws single handedly lost this game. He continues to be a turnover machine, takes bad shots and commits bad fouls. Year after year he continues to make the game harder than it needs to be by trying to be a flashy passer, rather than using fundamentals when passing. He continues to think he has great handles while trying to split defenders or drive through traffic, only to turn the ball over leading to fast break baskets for the other team. This often happens at crucial times during important games. He hasn't improved at all in these areas since his freshman year. The coaches need to sit him until he commits to fundamental basketball that won't hurt the team. TJ, stop playing out of control and flashy!

I know Hardnett put up too many 3's and Yoeli didn't manage his fouls correctly, which impacted the team. But TJ put the team in a hole and stunted runs with his continued idiotic turnovers when a simple fundamental pass would have been successful.

• Captain Ahab American Fork, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:03 a.m.

Hum...........Haws 5 points and 5 turnovers. Perfect balance.