Utah polls close on record-breaking midterm election

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 7:55 a.m.

Voting by mail was an excellent experience. I got to set at my kitchen table and research some of the lesser known candidates and issues and fill out the ballot at my leisure.

Well done, Utah. That was a pretty seamless election.

• Principles66 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 7:50 a.m.

I witnessed many show up at the polls to vote who did not. In Eagle Mountain, there was only one polling location with only 3 voting machines. With little parking, I watched many vehicles show up, only to turn around and leave. I noticed that there were only 2 locations to vote each in Provo and Orem. All other cities in Utah County only had one location. With reduced locations and reduced voting machines at each location, I witnessed many individuals show up at the polls and either drive away, see the long lines and leave, or after standing in lines for more than 1 1/2 hours, give up an leave. In my own family, I looked forward to taking my son to vote for the first time. After 1 1/2 hours, he had to leave to work. We always vote in person and when he did not have the envelope for the mail in ballot, he ended up not being able to vote. I was heart-broken. I witnessed many who never received a mail in ballot and were not able to wait in the line who also gave up. We need to stop trying to force people to vote by mail and open more polling stations with more machines.

• Bob Tanner Price, UT
    Nov. 7, 2018 12:37 a.m.

I am happy for the larger than usual turnout for a midterm election. I just hope Prop.2 wasn't the driving force behind the large turnout.

• Latter-daySaintForever St. George, UT
    Nov. 6, 2018 6:28 p.m.

I like to vote on election day as well. In St George where I voted we did not have voting machines. I waited for over an hour in line to fill vote on a machine only to receive a paper ballot. When I was done filling out my ballot I zipped it to some sort of machine. all the machine said was Thank you for voting. I have no idea if it recorded what I voted correctly. Not impressed with this system.

• Yokohamaboy Heber City, UT
    Nov. 6, 2018 5:36 p.m.

Voting in Provo could have been better. Only 12 machines set up and I ended up with a 2.5 hour wait, which is shorter than the probable 4 hour wait those who are there now will have to go through.

• tabuno Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 6, 2018 12:28 p.m.

I appreciate the inclusion of some mention of Davis County. Often our Utah's general circulation newspapers seem to treat Davis County as a stepchild for media coverage even though Davis County is probably more reflective of the majority of the rest of the State of Utah.

• J. Smith Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 6, 2018 11:16 a.m.

Steve Schmidt, the veteran GOP strategist who worked in the George W. Bush White House and ran John McCain’s campaign for president, accused Republicans of complicity with the “vile” Trump administration and its “evil” policies unless they follow him and quit the party.

Schmidt announced Tuesday night that he had formally left the party over Trump’s policy of separating families at the U.S. border with Mexico.

Speaking to The Daily Beast, he called for his old boss, President Bush, to set aside political convention and come out to publicly challenge Trump’s grip on both the country and the Republican Party, which he feels is set to collapse. “This is a metastasis, a cancer, a toxin that has destroyed the Republican Party,” he said.

He said he fears that “cowards” Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell have failed in their constitutional duty to act as counterweights to the Executive Branch, opening up the possibility that an era of liberal American democracy could be coming to an end.