Why one man is rescuing Bibles to preserve genealogy and find their original owners

• NinaBirder Green Valley, AZ
    Oct. 30, 2018 10:54 a.m.

I also have found (and several times paid highly for) some old Bibles that I was able to return to their families. Kudos to this man!

It would be marvelous if he would photograph the genealogical information contained in his 1000 Bibles and post it somewhere that others descended from those families could find it. If I lived closer, I'd volunteer to do do the photography and transcription. I'd then create new individuals in Ancestry.com or in Family Search (or both) and upload the images with those people.

Thank you, Sir, for your kind work!

• Flat foot Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2018 6:11 a.m.

Great story - great quest to return Bibles to families.
    Would have been nice to know of this "open house" before it happened and not after it had happened.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 26, 2018 2:38 p.m.

When I read this article, I smiled! I have begun a "rescue mission" of my own to collect all the Family History stories of our own and our ancestors for our posterity. Luckily over the years, I have produced many documents preserving these stories. They are a treasure. I can't imagine anyone tossing them aside, but priorities differ with some people. I think we are each a little bit of those who have gone before, and it is our sacred duty to preserve these stories. Someone, somewhere will be lifted and life blessed by reading them.

A wise man at the Family History Library told me that if these stories are not preserved, they can be lost in 3 generations. That motivates me to keep working hard on this very important task.

• hbeckett Colfax, CA
    Oct. 26, 2018 10:30 a.m.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2018 9:09 a.m.

What a great story!

• SlickMick Ashburn, VA
    Oct. 26, 2018 8:37 a.m.

Why wouldn't someone want to keep an old family Bible?

Lots of reasons that we don't have the right to judge the family for. Don't you know how often elderly people die and someone is hired to come in and clear out their hoard? Sure the obvious things like furniture and other visible antiques are sometimes held onto, but family Bibles are often stored away. The only way you find them is if you know they are there and where exactly they are.

We tend to look at things like this with our rose-colored glasses. I personally would never throw something like this out. But many people don't value family history the way we do, just like I don't value a lot of things others do. There are things I would throw out in a heartbeat that others wouldn't dream of.

What if someone dies and there are no descendants? What if the descendants are not in a position to be able to take care of something like a family Bible?

The bottom line is sometimes family heirlooms end up on the trash heap or in the thrift store. It happens. Thankfully there are those who do something about it. We can each be that guy in some way or another and not just complain about it.