Deseret News poll: Where do likely voters stand on Proposition 2?

• RunningRN St. George, UT
    Oct. 14, 2018 8:00 p.m.

I read an article over the week that convinced me to vote in favor of prop 2. It was in The Economist and the article in stated that in CA, where marijuana was recently legalized, the alcohol and wine industry sales are slumping because marijuana was crowding out alcohol sales.

Obviously, legalizing recreational marijuana vs medical marijuana is very different. For those saying that marijuana is not harmless, they couldn't be further from the truth. As an RN, I frequently see acute psychosis and schizophrenia linked to consumption of marijuana. In the medical literature, the jury is still out on whether or not marijuana is a causal factor in mental illness, but anyone with the slightest trace of mental illness in their family should steer clear from this. Go talk to any psychiatrist up at UNI and they will say the same.

Having said all that, I believe I will vote in favor of prop 2. Not because marijuana is harmless (it's not), but because I view the current approach as the lesser of two evils. It needs to be used for medical uses, not recreational use. But even if it is used recreationally, it should be decriminalized.

• IPAfanatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2018 1:00 p.m.

Vote YES on Prop 2! Everybody on here saying to vote No and wait for a better version are just trying to delay the inevitable.

Fact of the matter is we've been wasting tax payer dollars arresting and prosecuting non-violent cannabis offenses for over 70 years, and cannabis use has actually gone UP. Keeping it illegal is just making criminals rich at the expense of tax payers.

I'd rather tax cannabis use and direct that additional tax revenue to help pay for better teachers at our schools and clean up our dirty air.

Also, no one should be telling me what I can and can't put in my body. This nanny state has to end. Vote YES on Prop 2!

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 12, 2018 8:03 a.m.

Voted "Yes" for prop 2, main in ballot is the way to go

• Kevin J. Kirkham Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 11, 2018 10:24 p.m.

Citizen John Doe - "I have to admit that I'm surprised that so many "active" members are choosing to ignore prophetic counsel. That is always a big mistake."

KJK - Sorry, but it's not ALWAYS a mistake.

Joseph Fielding Smith said, "It makes no difference what is written or what anyone has said, if what has been said is in conflict with what the Lord has revealed, we can set it aside. My words, and the teaching of any other member of the Church, high or low, if they do not square with
    the revelations, we need not accept them. Let us have this matter clear. We have accepted as the measuring yardsticks, or balances, by which we measure every man's doctrine....If Joseph Fielding Smith writes something which is out of harmony with the revelations, then every member of the Church is duty bound to reject it."

It all boils down to whether the prophet's counsel conforms to scripture. I previously gave 2 references that, in my opinion, show that voting against 2 seems to run contrary to what the scriptures say. Please let me know how I may be in error. Thanks

• JohnThomas Santa Cruz , CA
    Oct. 11, 2018 1:15 p.m.

@Citizen John Doe

Thanks for showing how desperately we need to adhere to the concept of the separation of church and state. - When a group of people brazenly declare THEY know the will of "God" and need to inflict it on everyone else, you know life is horribly out of balance.

Not only do we now know marijuana is near harmless and FAR safer than alcohol, the benign plant is actually a sacrament of various religions and spiritual groups, such as the Rastafarians, Hindus, the Rainbow Family, etc.

Once religion and the state mix, huge oppression against the people and the truth always result. We need to thank the issue of marijuana legalization for showing us we urgently need to remove this sickness from society!

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Oct. 11, 2018 9:11 a.m.

Being on the wrong side of history seems to be a trend.

• Citizen John Doe Orem, UT
    Oct. 11, 2018 8:30 a.m.

It is a great blessing to mankind to have a prophet of God on the earth just like it was in ancient times with Moses, Abraham, Elijah, etc. But the only way to benefit is by heeding their counsel.

God gives prophets a clearer vision of the future than the rest of us can get through our own logic.

But those who believe there is a prophet of God on earth can still choose whether or not to follow his counsel. Because of pride, we can pit our own logic against God's logic if we choose to.

Those who ignore his counsel will assuredly reap worse consequences in the end than those who follow him.

• JohnThomas Santa Cruz , CA
    Oct. 11, 2018 7:21 a.m.

Science and widespread experience have shown marijuana has no significant harms. - Hence every person who chooses near harmless marijuana over addictive, very harmful alcohol, improves their health tremendously - as well as the lives of their family and community.

Clearly, ALL adult consumption has health benefits. - Re-legalize marijuana for all adults, as the NINE Free States and D.C. have done!

• bluesman503 south Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 11, 2018 2:14 a.m.

All of the perceived problems with marijuana use stem from its being illegal. Over the years that has created a black market where little Johnny and Jill are forced to do business with people who also sell other more harmful drugs. Many get involved in dealing on a limited basis in the black-market as a way to fund their own use and do favors for friends. This creates a mindset that rationalizes breaking the law even when it involves more than the occasional use of a harmless drug that has been outlawed as a favor to big pharma.

Marijuana has been around for thousands of years and was legal in this country until the pharmaceutical industry started to organize to prevent the sale of patent medicines, snake oils cures, and anything they could not patent, copyright, or control. The only real issue is money. Those who object to legalization have financial Interest to protect. The product is harmless as has been proven beyond doubt over thousands of years by billions of users.

• CoreyE33 Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 6:17 p.m.

Think for yourself.

A yes vote for Prop 2 is the best way to have all our voices heard. We can do this together.

We tell our elected leaders what to do. Not the other way around. Vote yes on Prop 2.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 5:29 p.m.

The Governor has promised a special session to work on this no matter which way we vote, so it doesn't really matter what the voters think.

I have seen this "non-addictive" herb cause some serious problems for several people I have known over the years. Chemicals affect different people differently. Going around proclaiming that cannabis has never hurt anyone is a serious disservice to many.

Voting no.

• brainoncapitalist Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 4:48 p.m.

I'm voting YES on Prop 2. I've actually read the thing and it prohibits smoking. It does not allow pawn shops to sell pot. lol. There's certainly a lot of weird things that people think this proposition allows which it does not. It's probably the MOST conservative and strict of any of the medical cannabis laws out there and yet people still believe in the lies of the 'reefer madness' crowd that this is a recreational cannabis bill. They compare it with Colorado, California, Washington, and other places that actually HAVE recreational cannabis. It's ridiculous to compare the two. I'm voting YES, most of my family (who are very active LDS) are also voting yes. Patients like my father, who suffered for decades with MS before he passed, need this. My dad was on morphine for the pain and it didn't alleviate the pain much at all. Maybe cannabis would not have helped either, who knows, but I would have liked for him to have the option, which should be between his doctor and himself, nobody else has the right to intervene.

• CoolUtahDude Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 4:29 p.m.

I am not blindly making the decision to vote 'No' on Proposition 2. I have read the pros and cons. However, no matter how good the arguments may appear or sound for it to pass, I am first and foremost a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In an effort to follow the wisdom of my religious leaders, my vote will be 'No'.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 4:18 p.m.

I think this "poll" is flawed. I think people FAVOR medical uses for marijuana, but Prop 2 allows for pawn shops to sell recreational use of marijuana, and most voters oppose that. The powers that be, representing all interests of this issue have agreed on a newer version of Prop 2 that supposedly addresses all of the issues so that those who need the medicinal use can get what they need.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Oct. 10, 2018 4:12 p.m.

From the looks of the comments on this board it would appear that there is a lack of trust in those assuring that a "no" vote will result in the legislature passing a better bill. If trust can't be restored, I suspect you are going to see more of these type of initiatives in the future.

• jprentice Katy, TX
    Oct. 10, 2018 3:28 p.m.

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea has never known people who have spent a lifetime on marijuana. Enough of their brain deteriorates so that they don't react to life the same way---ever. There is no coming back. I've seen doctoral candidates struggle to think enough to be a store clerk, I've seen countless addicts become recluses, I've lost friends who are wandering around somewhere inside their bodies, but I can't reach them through the cloud of marijuana that forever clouds their brains. I've had better luck relating to my friends who were addicted to harder stuff but went through rehab and are now clean. Endorsing people to give up is criminal, and putting them in that position in the hospital when they are in probably greater pain than they ever have in their lives. I am a survivor of leukemia, and if I had that opportunity when I was in the hospital, today I might only be a drug addict. My friends have told me that marijuana is the strongest addiction they have ever experienced--the ones who are still here, at least, or the ones whose brains can still process enough logic. Make the right decision. Keep things the way they have been as long as possible.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 3:27 p.m.

RE: "Where do likely voters stand on Proposition 2"...
    ---
    I don't know. Should we just vote and find out?

===

I don't care. Because I don't plan to use it regardless of what happens with Prop 2.

Medical MJ is already legal (the stuff with THC removed). Has been since 2015. I don't know why we need more liberal laws on it, when it's still illegal by Federal Law.

I know a few people need it for medical reasons. But not enough to start this movement. I suspect this is about recreational use in the end. Maybe not this move, but in the future moves by the same lobby I guarantee will happen.

Are we going to take the next steps? That's the question I'd like answered.

With the power of this lobbying group... I don't see any way to stop it. Oh... other than voting.

I'll be voting against it, in hopes of a better bill next time. And more assurances that this isn't just another step towards recreational use.

• figureditout American Fork, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 2:44 p.m.

With all due respect to the Deseret News, I believe the timing of this article is suspect. The opponents of Proposition 2 know it has strong support and if the election were held today, would likely pass. This is nothing more than an attempt to scare the NO crowd into coming out on election day. If the tables were turned, would this article even appear?

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 2:36 p.m.

The LDS Corp claims that about 65% of the people in Utah are Mormons. Yet, 64% of the population supports Prop 2. That means that a significant percentage of Mormons disagree with their church on this issue.

How about we have secular laws in Utah instead of interference from religious laws? That would benefit all people instead of creating laws that benefit a certain group.

• Kevin J. Kirkham Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 2:07 p.m.

In the temple and in the scriptures, the Father tells Adam not to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil but says that he can choose for himself and reap the natural consequences of that choice. This means that we should be free to choose that which we believe is on our best interest. The scriptures also condemn using one's subjective morals to infringe upon the rights and liberties of others (D&C 134:4 / 1 Cor. 10:29). These 2 points show the OFFICIAL doctrine of the Church.

If you believe that you have the right/liberty to go to a doctor, get a prescription, fill it and treat your own ailments without anyone else butting in to tell you what you can and cannot do to treat your malady, then vote yes. If you don't believe in Agency or believe that it can be infringed upon to force you to live according to another's morals, like someone else in the Pre-Existence advocated, then vote no.

I'm siding with what the scriptures say.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 2:05 p.m.

Dude! Prop 2 will be totally awesome! Don't buy the bogus arguments against it. Bud doesn't hurt anyone; it's gnarly!

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 1:52 p.m.

Supporters of Prop 2 regularly use sad stories of pain and suffering to justify their support for prop 2. Those who oppose prop 2 also agree. Those who need marijuana for medical purposes should have it. The problem is, too many people don't understand the distribution part of the proposition. Those who oppose prop 2 aren't trying to keep it from those who need it, they simply want it controlled and prescribed just like any other prescription. I have yet to hear someone who is voting for prop 2 explain why that is unacceptable.

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 1:50 p.m.

No one had a problem when highly additive pain medications ( Oxycontin) came available but for some reason some of you are scared to death of a Non Additive plant. Every day untold thousands, and thousands of people use Marijuana and most of you don't even know that its one of your family members , your neighbors, or a person sitting next to you.

• Stout1 Cache Valley, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 1:51 p.m.

Oppose Prop. 2

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 1:47 p.m.

I'm voting NO. I'm all for marijuana for medical use, but it should be handled just like any other pharmaceutical drug. Prescribed by a trained doctor and controlled through a pharmacy. I am totally against dispensaries and the ability for some people to grow their own depending on distance. That's ridiculous! Those who need it should have it, but there is no reason whatsoever that it can't be controlled and distributed via a pharmacy.

• VESPA Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 1:00 p.m.

200,000,000 Americans have access to medical MJ. Yet we're suppose to believe that we haven't studied this issue enough or that we don't know what the unintended consequences are.

The sky hasn't fallen anywhere because of this. Tell me again that the FDA needs to approve MJ for medical use and I'll tell you they approved tons of opioids that have created a nation wide public health crisis.

The only reason the legislature is opposed is because it wasn't presented as a MLM scheme. Its can be an ESSENTIAL OIL after all.

• MarkJ South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2018 12:51 p.m.

I'm voting Yes, though I don't think it goes far enough, because we still waste money and time with law enforcement for an issue that people ought to be able to handle for themselves. I don't understand why we don't believe we can leave it up to individuals to choose how to use marijuana in a way that works for them. I mean, this is not a particularly dangerous drug, especially compared to opioids, which for some reason are completely legal and easy to get. I've never used marijuana, or tobacco, or alcohol, and never plan to, but I really can't see the purpose of laws and law enforcement around these types of substances except as they apply to things that affect everyone (such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol).

• Leeroy Jenkins Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 12:52 p.m.

bamafone:

"Dude, Utah gonna be like...stoned."

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man." -The Dude

• Raynesalot West Valley City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 12:49 p.m.

I am voting YES on Prop 2 mostly because I have seen the legislature drag their heals and do nothing for the medical use of marijuana. I watched both of my parents die horribly painful deaths, this would have given them some relief in the end. I dare say that most people who are against this are blindly lead by fear and a false trust that the legislature will do something in the future. I also think that they have never watch someone in horrible pain suffer. As for recreational use, if people want to smoke pot bad enough they are going to do it whether it's legal or not.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 12:35 p.m.

Dude, Utah gonna be like...stoned.

• Bigpics West Haven, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 11:56 a.m.

David - Centerville, re: "I'm voting NO. I don't want an outside lobbying group writing legislation for marijuana use in Utah."

90-95% of Prop 2 was written by Utahns including Senator Madsen and members of TRUCE as SB73 - and was passed - after a series of amendments by the Utah State Senate in 2016. Drafting attorneys were brought in solely to help convert it to proper ballot initiative form.

Donald Johnson, re: "From our experience in Michigan with legalized medical marijuana, the vast majority of users are really using it for recreational purposes and not for medical need."

I've reviewed several thousand studies over recent years. I challenge you to come up with a single one showing that THAT has been the experience in a single state. I'll even help you: that WAS a problem in California's first in the nation program, but those rules were tightened long ago.

Meanwhile no state has moved to abandon its passed program, satisfaction is high and most states have moved to keep expanding and improving their programs.

Facts matter.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 11:55 a.m.

Vote no. It's a Trojan Horse leading the way to recreational use.

• Taterhead West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 11:51 a.m.

Such mis-information.
    If law enforcement doesn't arrest someone under Prop 2, it's because law enforcement isnt doing their job. Impairment is impairment, it doesnt matter how they got that way.

Smoking cannabis is illegal under Prop 2. So is possession by a minor.

"Pawn shops"?? LOL
    It is "pot shops", another name for a dispensary. They can't be any closer to homes and schools than a Utah state liquor store.

Compare Utah's Prop 2 to Arizona's medical marijuana laws. Drug Safe Utah wont do that, because the marijuana law in Arizona actually works, and they dont want to use facts. So they use California, Colorado, Oregon and Nevada to tell us the sky is falling.

I'm voting for Prop 2.

• gman West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 11:40 a.m.

David in Centeville Prop 2 was not written by outside lobby groups. Maybe a little input but not written. What is your source that outside lobby groups wrote Prop 2?

• Pete-Ski! Sandy, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 11:27 a.m.

Opiates kills pain. Opiates kills people too. I never heard of anyone treating with marijuana and died from an overdose. I am living proof, you can't o.d. on marijuana!

Pete-Ski!

• Rubydo Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 11:09 a.m.

I’m voting for prop 2 because I’ve seen the benefits from marijuana. The opposition to marijuana legalization is a moral panic based on fear, ignorance and religious prejudice.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 11:04 a.m.

Why are people scared of recreational use?

• David Centerville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 11:00 a.m.

I'm voting NO. I don't want an outside lobbying group writing legislation for marijuana use in Utah. On this important issue, I want the legislature and governor to write laws that will be a Utah solution. Time and time again, Utah has shown that we can solve problems better than the rest of the nation. We don't need a DC, or a Colorado, or a Washington state marijuana system here in Utah.

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 10:48 a.m.

There are parts of the world where, amazingly, drugs are legal, and the fabric of society is not in shreds. This happens, to varying degrees, in places like Switzerland, Portugal, and the Netherlands. Drug abuse there is treated as a public health problem, not a crime. As a result, in those countries criminals do not get rich from selling drugs. Their prisons are not bulging at the seams with people convicted of drug offenses. Drugs are regulated and taxed, and the revenue, combined with the law enforcement saving, is more than enough to help the abusers.

Prohibition of alcohol in this country was a monumental failure. Prohibition of drugs is an on-going monumental failure. Criminals and the prison-industrial complex would be the only ones to suffer from a more reasonable approach to drug use. Why are we so eager to protect those people?

• Donald Johnson Northern, MI
    Oct. 10, 2018 10:42 a.m.

Prop 2 will significantly increase the amount of marijuana used in the state, and the number of people who use it. From our experience in Michigan with legalized medical marijuana, the vast majority of users are really using it for recreational purposes and not for medical need. There are many medical marijuana shops happy to make it easy to get a medical card from friendly physicians happy to take the person's word that they have unexplained pain or anxiety, even when it's clearly untrue.

• RoyNative Roy, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 10:36 a.m.

Moon Beam - Magna, UT wrote:
    "I strongly, strongly suggest that we all vote NO for Prop 2 and let the new, better version be made into law."
    I don't know where or how all this fallacy comes from. But honestly, if you want the new, better version to made into law, you need to vote YES on Prop 2. Otherwise there is no accountability to the legislatures of our state.
    Dispensing from pawn shops???? That sure came out of nowhere. You are obviously uninformed. Nothing suggests medical cannabis will be sold in pawn shops. How do you have a pharmacist working in a pawn shop to dispense cannabis? A pharmacist will be on site.
    How does this compromise encourage pot use? You can buy a little raw plant for vaping, and it will come in a blister packet. It all looks like medication, because it is. No gummy bears no edibles. Lozenges, oils, tinctures, salves, creams, patches, the things patients want. How does any of that create recreational use? You want recreational use, find someone who knows someone that smokes pot and ask them. Tada! Recreational use. Why blame patients for abuse? Do we blame patients for society's abuse of opiates? Or Klonopin, Xanax? No more suffering. Enough is enough.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 10:35 a.m.

To : Prometheus Platypus

re: "If those opposed to prop 2 have to resort to lies and misinformation, then they have no real argument."

That is precisely what the proponents of Prop 2 are doing - selling this as a medical marijuana bill when in reality it is designed to allow more people to access and smoke marijuana without consequences. It is back-door legalization of a drug that has been shown to destroy lives, relationships, work habits, and motivation for a large percentage of users. It has also been shown to be a gateway drug, with severe consequences to those who move on to more potent alternatives.

The number of people in the state who actually could use marijuana for unique medicinal purposes is quite small. And for those who argue it is needed by a larger number of people, marijuana should be subjected to the same scientific rigor, including double-blind tests, efficacy, risk assessment, etc. as every other regulated drug. And it should be distributed as any other controlled substance, without loopholes that will facilitate abuse.

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 10:34 a.m.

Yes on prop 2.

If you are morally against it, don't take it. Let others have the ability to make that decision for themselves, depending on the situation.

• uterebel50 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 9:57 a.m.

Vote "yes" on Prop 2. Don't fall for the lies from the legislature and governor about a new compromise plan. There isn't one. It's just a ruse to deny this pain killing natural plant from competing with the opium dealing pharmaceutical giants. This is our only chance, Utah. Vote "yes" and let the ruling party know the people are in charge here.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 9:51 a.m.

This is where those school-voucher and Count My Vote chickens are coming home to roost. We trusted the Utah GOP to honor the public's wishes on school vouchers and the Count My Vote compromise, but instead the party has done its level best to ignore us and go back on its promises.

Personally, I don't trust our GOP-controlled Legislature to follow through on its promises about a better medical marijuana law, unless it absolutely has to. I'll vote Yes on Prop 2 to make sure that we, the people, have some clout in any upcoming negotiations and the legislative session.

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 9:17 a.m.

If it comes by way of the path the other states have introduced...it's only a ruse, medically speaking, to eventually make it legal for recreational use.

Have a plan in January to introduce a bill that is medically sound and that is as far it should go and monitor the Dr's prescribing it like you do opioids now.

• tryingtosmile salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 9:02 a.m.

No surprise about the comments here. Coming straight after conference weekend. I will not deny help for someone who needs it. If I have an issue one day that I have a choice to use addictive opioids or medical marijuana I will use the least abusive way. I am sorry to see people vote against people in pain. The other 30 states who have passed it don't seem to be trying to vote against it. But I guess no one can prove it is bad in those states? They just keep pointing to Colorado but they have recreational so it doesn't count. Where is your proof that the other 30 states it is being abused. No one can show that. In the mean time you are telling people to get addicted to pain pills. Shame on you.

• countryvoice3 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:55 a.m.

"I don’t trust the state legislature to follow up with a compromise if the proposition fails. They could just say the public doesn’t want it so forget it."

Yet proponents of the proposition are suppose to believe that if voted down the legislature will take a sensible and measured approach to legalizing medical cannabis use. Ha.

The only way to get a sensible solution is to approve prop 2 which forces the legislature to deal with what will become the law.

• Clinton King (Ephraim) Ephraim, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:39 a.m.

I will be voting against proposition 2. My research has not convinced me to vote in favor of it.

• Utetoot Heber City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:35 a.m.

He knows the way.
    Vote no on Prop 2, all will be well.

• Utah_Happyman Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:32 a.m.

Be informed, educate yourself...Vote for Prop2...

• Avnett Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:27 a.m.

I read the bill and as we've been told, in it's current form it's a mess. Law enforcement will will go from challenging to non existent.

This comment: "You could actually get your pediatrician to prescribe pot for your teenager, with parental approval of course. " seems humorous on the surface.. but in fact, while proponents stress there will be no recreational access, this bill will make that very difficult to enforce. If someone wants it, both teens and adults will have a greatly enhanced access which does not exist now.

This is a slippery slope. Vote "NO" and lets get this mess fixed so that we help those with actual, medical need. Recreational hopefuls can find a state where the laws are relaxed. I hope that never happens here.

• Prometheus Platypus Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:16 a.m.

The first 2 comments are exactly right.

If those opposed to prop 2 have to resort to lies and misinformation, then they have no real argument. Present the truth, and let Utonians decide, instead of spinning yarns to deceive.

• quackquack Park City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:13 a.m.

Vote for Prop 2 get it in law enacted, we can always amend the law later. Whats amazing is any 14 year old can get a bag of weed so either have it safely distributed by the state or get it off the street.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:12 a.m.

NO on Prop 2. Come up with a better solution.

• copperqueen Riverton, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:02 a.m.

Water Rocket, the current prop 2 allows pawn shops to dispense recreational marijauna?? Where in the world are you getting your information. Prop 2 is not about recreational marijauna.
    Having a family member that has major health problems and uses opiods, I hope this "drug" will give her another option.

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:01 a.m.

In recent months I have travelled to Colorado, Nevada, California, and Oregon, each of which has legalized recreational marijuana. Sure enough, there were dispensaries, and even a little advertising. People outside my hotel in Vegas were smoking both tobacco and pot. With very little effort, I could have purchased pot, gone off somewhere, and gotten stoned. I chose not to.

See how easy that can be?

• Bigger Bubba Herriman, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:00 a.m.

Voting No on Prop 2. Like the efforts of legislators to create reasonable medical marijuana laws.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 7:54 a.m.

We could, and should, treat marijuana like any other dangerous and controlled prescription drug.
    But Prop 2 is just a pretext for normalizing pot use and decriminalizing possession. It is a ruse. Vote "No".

• windsor Logan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 7:50 a.m.

Only those who are gullible and fall for sophistry will fall for Prop 2 and vote yes.

Don't be gullible.
    Don't fall for clever sophistry.

Vote NO on Prop 2.

• stevo123 Driggs, ID
    Oct. 10, 2018 7:48 a.m.

Vote yes on 2, Keep the Legislatures's feet to the fire.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 7:42 a.m.

Just a little hint for those afraid that this will 'pave the way for recreational'. We already have recreational. Anyone can get pot today if they want. For teenagers it is easier to get MJ than it is to get alcohol*.

I will be voting for the measure.
    I believe the prohibition of cannabis was an idiotic failure and an affront to freedom.

But we all know that the Utah legislature will just change it anyway. They have no respect for the people.

*Alcohol is far more dangerous.

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 7:28 a.m.

Proposition 2 is full of landmines, vote no. A competent proposition would clearly utilize a proper approach to the vetting of its' use. During this vetting process, it is not uncommon to approve use for studies allowing those who truly have a need for it now to have controlled access under medical supervision. Production and distribution can also be controlled. We are not talking about over-the-counter medicines, here. Don't let emotional sophistries ramrod this Trojan Horse through.

• tahnl Francis, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 1:30 a.m.

Kaysvillecougar wrote: "You could actually get your pediatrician to prescribe pot for your teenager, with parental approval of course. "

Absolutely great and exactly the way things should be. Parent and doctor taking responsibility given the situation rather than the state dictating.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 9, 2018 11:33 p.m.

Those leaders who claim they will amend it are not even running for re-election! Who listens to lame ducks?

• Moon Beam Magna, UT
    Oct. 9, 2018 11:29 p.m.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Oct. 9, 2018 11:27 p.m.

Since Prop 2 was viewed to be seriously flawed, but with (supposed) reassurance that a compromise bill from all parties will be the actual bill that will be used. However, if Prop 2 does pass, it seems to me that some sneaky people might be tempted to claim that since Prop 2 had passed, then it should be made law, regardless of previous agreements. I sure hope this doesn't happen, since the current Prop 2 also allows pawn shops to dispense recreational marijuana, and we all know how upstanding pawn shops are (not).

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Oct. 9, 2018 10:29 p.m.

I'm amazed that there are so many Utahns who think prop. 2 is acceptable. It sure would be great if people actually read what proposition 2 is. I thing it's terrible for the state of Utah. If it passes, I hope the legislature quickly changes it to go along with the established compromises that were just made. I'm voting no for prop 2 because it has so many loopholes for enforcement. It allows people to smoke pot. You could actually get your pediatrician to prescribe pot for your teenager, with parental approval of course. Doesn't that sound crazy to everyone. Read the proposition and then vote no.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2018 10:19 p.m.

I received an opposition flyer in the mail today, and it was almost insulting. They try to scare Utahans by citing examples from Colorado which legalized recreational marijuana. The people of Utah are smart enough to know the difference. Prop 2 isn't recreational. Many of us know someone that could benefit from medical cannabis. That is why the proposition has support.

• AlSwearengen Ogden, UT
    Oct. 9, 2018 10:14 p.m.

Don't let the Politicians, UMA, and DSU bury this initiative with their lies and misinformation. Vote Yes on Prop 2!