Historic conference: Church members will strive to live a Christ-centered life in a home-centered church

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Oct. 10, 2018 8:04 a.m.

Yes, I like it. It must be hard for parents with little children to get through three hours of meetings every week. For members who have only one ward meeting house in a city of hundreds of thousands, and who often still travel to church by bus, it makes for a long day too. It also reminds us that, in most cases, the teachings stick with our youth only when teaching and example occurs at home.

• hankel Butte, MT
    Oct. 8, 2018 7:44 p.m.

@Steve C. Warren - WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    We have also perpetuated Melchizedek Priesthood, which is a nickname. The original name was "the Holy Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God." (D&C 107:3,4) Perhaps a change is coming."

I doubt it. The reason it is called the Melchizedek Priesthood is given in this scripture. I don't look at it as a "nickname", but rather an alternate name that the Lord approves of that helps us avoid using the His name in an excessive, and possibly offensive way. I think that verse 4 of the scripture you quote makes this very clear. This is just my opinion.

• Puukko Orem Orem, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 5:36 p.m.

@skeptic - Phoenix, AZ

The church decided to go with 2 hour meeting. Lets just leave it at that.
    "The Mormons" will find ways to keep in touch in the large cities.
    All is good...

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 8, 2018 1:52 p.m.

The down side on shorter church time is that in the large cities members are scattered apart from one and another, and the only time they spend with their Mormon ward members is on Sunday. In the smaller towns and rural areas it is different, the Mormons are always running into one and another. In many small towns the population is over fifty percent Mormon, the same in the schools, not so in the large cities. Other than in Utah and Idaho where there is a Mormon on every corner.

• Aggielove Caldwell, ID
    Oct. 8, 2018 1:08 p.m.

My testimony grew by leaps and bounds yesterday. I needed it.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 11:20 a.m.

To Hutterite:

re: "You got directives on the font and branding and new limits on meeting durations. Is this really historic revelation, or just a corporate memo?"

Your cynicism about the divine nature of the church, prophets, etc. is an opinion and regularly noted in these comment sections, which is your prerogative. I take a different view, however. Yes, policies such as the duration of the church meeting block do change at times, and, in my judgement, and have an impact. These types of changes are less important, however, than the change you label as "branding". I believe putting the name of Jesus Christ back at the center of the church is much more meaningful than a change to the 3-hour block of meetings (despite what some members may think!) . It should be a constant reminder to members and non-members alike that the Savior and his work is at the core of all we do and stand for. To me that is more than branding - it goes to the very mission statement of the organization, and is an important statement/message both to members and non-members alike.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 10:11 a.m.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 9:22 a.m.

The two-hour block is great, but does not solve the biggest issue. We won't have a truly home-centered church experience until we get rid of the plethora of extra Sunday meetings at the ward and stake level. We pull family members out the homes for a myriad of meetings on Sundays - BYD, BYC, scout committee, ward council, ward firesides, stake firesides, ward choir, stake youth choir, presidency meetings, youth conference meetings, trek meetings, Aaronic Priesthood training meetings, priesthood meetings, stake conference youth meetings, etc., etc. If everyone in a family lived in just one ward/stake, it wouldn't be so bad, but trying to navigate all the meetings across multiple wards/stakes is getting impossible.

It will take the prophet from the pulpit in General Conference specifically limiting the number of meetings allowed outside the normal block before local leaders will take notice and stop scheduling families the entire sabbath day. All of the meetings are a huge hindrance to families being able to get together for a Sunday meal, visit an aged parent or uncle/aunt/grandparent, or to even get a nuclear family together. It's time to significantly reduce these meetings.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 8:31 a.m.

I was thinking about the word atonement, the blood, epa-genitics, the sins of the fathers the grace of God, the church of Jesus, the body of Christ an how it all works together. I have come to a conclusion.

• neece Hyde Park, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 8:25 a.m.

Wow what an amazing conference. I loved that they kept saying... "Family Centered...Church assisted" It cracked me up to hear most people going, "Yes!!" When they found out they would only attend 2 hour meetings now.." Perhaps they may miss the boat??? I personally think Christ is preparing his people.

• byugraduate Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 8, 2018 12:21 a.m.

Can they stop using the word historic with everything?

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 11:26 p.m.

Re: he said the church itself, both administration and members, have perpetuated nicknames that do not include Christ's name, "subtly disregarding all that Jesus Christ did for us, even his Atonement."

• Cowboy Poet Vernal, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 11:15 p.m.

Before electronic tithing became available, I always considered it aggravating to have to tediously hand print, "The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints", on my tithing check.

That's why I love the convenience of being able to use my computer to pay my tithing at the Church's web site!

On my FACEBOOK, GOOGLE PLUS, and GAB social media accounts, there is a limit in the number of letters permitted in describing myself, so I always used the word, "Mormon", to indicate my chosen faith.

But, immediately following General Conference, I logged in to my computer Internet social media and experimented with composing a new description of myself, one that would fit within the confines of their requirements, while still referencing Jesus Christ.

Obviously, typing in, "The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints", while correct, would never do.

So, this is the description that I finally posted on all of my computer Internet social media web sites:

"I'm a disabled Viet Nam War veteran, a disciple of Jesus Christ, and a singer/songwriter."

That works, doesn't it?

• Cowboy Poet Vernal, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 10:22 p.m.

One of the most effective and inspired features of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints has always been that it's deliberately designed to function within each home as a family institution, in the event that natural disasters, acts of war, or biological epidemics make it impractical to meet as regular groups and/or organizations, due to enforced isolation.

I suspect the Lord's anointed servants are wisely preparing us for what may be coming just down the road a piece.