Christ's name is 'not negotiable' as center of church's name, President Nelson says

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Oct. 13, 2018 9:12 a.m.

O.K. so I have watched one more time as President Nelson addressed our use of the full name of The Lord's Church!

I fully support President Russell M. Nelson as Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Nothing more needs to be said.

• CMTM , 00
    Oct. 10, 2018 1:30 p.m.

RE: Craig Clark. “All Christian denominations see themselves as part of a larger all-encompassing universal church begun by Jesus.”

In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; in all things, charity.” An essential that unites Christians from diverse theological traditions around the the Trinity in Mt 28:18-19 …. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the*name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

"Name"(not names) is used for the majesty, glory, dignity, of the Godhead. Name(Ónoma, G.3686) the manifestation or revelation of someone's character, as distinguishing them from all others.

E.g.. Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Trinity United Methodist Church, Trinity Episcopal Church, Trinity Lutheran Church….

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Oct. 9, 2018 2:00 p.m.

All Christian denominations see themselves as part of a larger all-encompassing universal church begun by Jesus. All that's likely to come of yet another political correctness crusade is renewed petty sectarian bickering.

• CMTM , 00
    Oct. 8, 2018 1:34 p.m.

RE: Christ's name is 'not negotiable' as center of church's name/ Jesus Christ named The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Christ Is His Title. The word Christ is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word for "Messiah" or "anointed one." Christ was the title given to Jesus.

Jesus is the Greek version of the Hebrew names Joshua, Jehoshua, and Jeshua. It means "The Lord (Yahweh) saves" or "The Lord "Yahweh) is my help. This name stresses His humanity.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 10:56 a.m.

... Continued from: "I don't know, but I plan to tailor my words based on circumstances and audience."

In short, I know who's church it is, I know who is at the head, and I know who to worship.

An argument was put forth that "many believe we worship Mormon;" I do not find that argument credible. I don't know anyone who believes that a "Lutheran" church (for example) "worships" Martin Luther but rather identifies they agreed with Martin Luther over arguments against the Roman Catholic Church. Thus I do not know of nor believe there are any persons who think we "worship" Mormon just because it has become a nickname of the church.

Hence, I will tailor my speech to the audience I am speaking to and the circumstances of the conversation; and sometimes use the full name of the church; and sometimes not.

Just as I have a proper name that I use for legal documents, and nick names my family and friends use; and even screen names I use online, I don't make bones about others always using my proper name. Same with the church, I might say "Mormons" to collectively refer to members, and LDS church for shorthand on forums. I will let God judge whether my heart is in the right place or not.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 10:36 a.m.

@Happy Convert and @Mack2828,

In August when the first announcement came out, it was clearly intended for the media; I wondered how much of a push would be for general members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I too, remembered earlier talks (not just from then Elder Nelson, but many others including bishops, stake presidents; even my Mission President I do believe) that attempted to refocus on Jesus Christ's name. I don't recall dates very well; but I do also recall when the church underwent a huge branding change; with Jesus Christ being in large lettering; and the rest of the name surrounding it in small lettering.

From the initial report; I thought it would be more about a refocus on our Savior; than so much worry about names itself; hence I was surprised to see the choir change its name. And, then to listen to Pres. Nelson in conference and I am a little "confused" as well.

Each President of the church has left specific legacies; perhaps this is Pres. Nelson's legacy; Perhaps 1990 wasn't the time but it is now, or perhaps like other pushes; this one too will fade away. I don't know, but I plan to tailor my words based on circumstances and audience.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 9:00 a.m.

This is probably more of a theoretical/theological issue than a practical one. The religion-formerly-known-as-Mormon has a right to be named whatever they want. But, for example, if we referred to Roman Catholics as "Pope-guys", no one would really care or be offended.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Oct. 8, 2018 8:46 a.m.

Still waiting for the church to update the name of my "LDS Tools" app. Although calling it "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Tools" app is going to make it tough to fit on my phone screen.

• B-Real2 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:58 p.m.

I loved his talk on this subject. It was great to refocus the faithful on this important topic. The comment that hit home was that the true Church of Jesus Christ has been hidden all this time on the earth under different names. And Satan prefers that.

Such a simple message that has incredible meaning. Hidden no more! Let’s help spread the word.

• Orson Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:36 p.m.

President Nelson's talk today, in which he gave us the mind and will of the Lord, supersedes anything President Hinckley or any other apostle or prophet has ever said on the issue before today.

We follow living prophets in precedence to dead ones, especially if there is even a hint of disagreement, which there really isn't.

If President Hinckley were able to come from the Spirit World, he would have gotten after President Nelson if he had done anything other than speak boldly to the people what the Lord wanted said. And that is what Pres. Nelson did, convey the message the Lord had for his people regarding the name of His Church. And for faithful followers, it isn't negotiable, although the Trib will do its own thing and prove to observers who it speaks for.

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:33 p.m.

Happy Convert,

Thanks for your thoughtlful (and correct) comment.

Just a few additional thoughts to the comments made by Mack2828 and BYU NATION:
    * President Hinckley was not the Prophet in 1990 when he delivered his talk in October of the same year. President Benson was the Prophet.

* President Hinckley did not "correct" then Elder Nelson. In fact, he praised Elder Nelson for his April 1990 talk.

* The quote provided by BYU NATION is lifted from a paragraph of President Hinckley's talk. In this particular paragraph he is referring to Mormon himself.

* The talk by then Elder Nelson includes the following.... “Years ago, its members were cautioned by the Brethren who wrote: “We feel that some may be misled by the too frequent use of the term ‘Mormon Church.’” (Member-Missionary Class—Instructor’s Guide, Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1982, p. 2.)."

It is evident by the reference to the Member Missionary Class Instructor's Guide that Elder Nelson was not the first to note the use of the name "Mormon Church". The intent of his talk was to elaborate on the scripture found in D&C 115:4.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 6:58 p.m.

I really don’t see this sticking. LDS and Mormon are so common.

• Happy Convert ,
    Oct. 7, 2018 5:23 p.m.

Mack2828 ~ "Pres Nelson gave a similar sermon about the name of the church back in the 90's. Six months later in the next general conference, Pres Hinckley got up and very gently corrected him and reassured the members that it is perfectly okay to be called Mormons. So if the Lord inspired our Prophet President Hinckley to say that it was fine back in the '90's, why would he change his mind and now tell Pres Nelson that it is wrong?"

With all due respect, President Nelson has received revelations from our Heavenly Father for us to be known as members of the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints - not by the common nickname from those who do not belong to Christ's true church in these latter days. When you go to a chapel or Temple, there is the same emphasis of JESUS CHRIST.

The Church is constantly changing. As members of the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints, we should embrace these changes (the Tabernacle Choir and the new two-hour Sunday meetings) as these are revelations from our Heavenly Father given to our Prophet, President Nelson.

• jeanie orem, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 4:39 p.m.

I loved the clarification given by President Nelson regarding the name of the church. I was glad to hear the reasons and they make complete sense.

If we truly believe we are Christ's restored church our name should reflect that.

That there will be people and organizations that won't make that change is a given, and it's too bad that they cannot allow change, but those who do make the change (in particular church members) will more accurately represent what we claim.

And the idea of questioning former church leaders for using and promoting the title "Mormon" is kind of laughable. Everyone deserves the chance to course correct - individuals and organizations. If this correction is a sticking point for some it's due to a misconception about how revelation works and how the church is led or they have an ax to grind.

• BYU NATION Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 4:18 p.m.

The talk "Mack2828" is referring to is from the October 1990 general conference called "Mormon should mean 'more good' " given by President Hinckley.

It's a great talk, worth reading. In it the Prophet says "Mormon is not a word of disrepute, but that it represents the greatest good--that good which is of God."

• Ohio-LDS NE, OH
    Oct. 7, 2018 4:10 p.m.

I support the focus on Christ's name in the Church, but am confused why the same principle does not apply to the name for Christ's priesthood? If the Church cannot be called after the name of Moses, why can the priesthood be named after Aaron and Melchizedek?

• Chungman St George, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 3:50 p.m.

It will be interesting to see if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints replaces all of their angel Moroni statutes on their temples with statues of Christ. After all, we do not want to confuse the world on who we worship.

• Mack2828 Kenton Vale, KY
    Oct. 7, 2018 1:25 p.m.

This topic has been confusing to me.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 1:06 p.m.

Good luck with that. Yes, the Utah faithful will go great lengths to change what they called themselves for decades. It's not an "offensive nickname". Remember the leadership sanctioned, multi million dollar ad campaign, "I'm a mormon"? And church paid for "Meet the mormons" movie?
    But, do what you want to try to reverse 100+ years of history- the rest of the world will still be calling them "mormons".

• Grandma Kitties Vernal, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:40 p.m.

I appreciated Pres. Ballard's message so much this morning. I have a husband who was killed almost 6 years ago and still miss him profoundly. I wept as I listened with my ears and heart to what Pres. Ballard said and the depth of his message and instructions which I felt were just for me. I would just like to thank him, as he not only prepared for General Conference but will be with his family and friends at his dear wife's funeral tomorrow. I honor him and his faith in an eternal perspective of life.